1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

problems with windjammer wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hot springs, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

Used windjammer wads in AA shells this weekend. One oz. loads with Red Dot powder, Winchester primers. Same loads I've used forever,but, without AA wads. Terrible amount of low pressure loads because of poor gas seal in the new type Winchester hulls. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

hotsprings.... I have been using the original Windjammer 11/8oz wads in STS and Nitro hulls for some time now and have had absolutely zero problems with them. I also loaded a case of the 1oz. wads some time ago, again in Remington hulls, with no problems. I don't know if it's the AA hulls or not. With the 2 piece base wad in the AA I would be afraid they may cock the wad by hanging it up on the lip at the top of the base wad. I honestly have had great luck with the original Windjammer wads in Remington hulls. Not so good luck with the CB clones.... Just my experience.......Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

My load of choice for 16 yards is the original Wind Jammer II with 1 oz. for compition and 7/8 oz for practice, using REX I 17.4 grains and F616 primer. I have broke several good scores with no weak shells (Spring/Summer). That's using the WAA HS hull. Richard

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Have been using the same load for quite some time and no problems. Great sporting and 16 yd load.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

hot springs, I had zero problems with the new AA hulls loading with a Pacific/Hornady 366 press. When i switched to an RCBS Grand i had enormous problems. All the wads caught on the lip of the base wad and caused problems, even Winchester wads. Since the press was adjusted to load STS, Gold Medal and Fiocchi hulls without adjustment, I stopped using new AA hulls. Later i stopped using everything except STS. As Dan says, STS hulls and Windjammer wads (or the DRM clone) are a match made in heaven.

6. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

Thanks for the reply. I believe all my troubles are with the windjammer wad catchng on the base wad. I have loaded thousands of these on my PW 900 hydraulic loader over the years. However, used the old style AA hulls. I believe it's got more to do with the new AA hull than with the Windjammer wad. I think I'll go try to some STS hulls and see what happens. Thanks everyone, and, my apologies to Windjammer if everything works out OK.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

After you try some Remington hulls, get back on this thread and share your results with the rest of us. Was it the AA hulls, or was it something else? Thanks, Dan

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

ZZT I also load with a Grand and I don't have any problems. Go figure. RG

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I've loaded many thousands of the Windjammer II into AA's. Never any problem.
    Never had a wad catch on a basewad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester aa two piece wad problems

windjammer wad problem