1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Walnut wood ban coming to you?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

A brief article in the Erie, PA Times News tells of a ban on all walnut wood being taken out of at least one Pennsylvania county and other specified states. Since walnut is very heavily used in the gunstocks on fine shotguns and rifles, I don't know exactly what this will mean to the stockmakers but it doesn't sound helpful.

HARRISBURG -- Pennsylvania officials on Friday said they were restricting the movement of certain wood from Bucks County and specified other states following the detection of thousand cankers disease in the state.

The quarantine covers all walnut wood including nursery stock and green lumber. Firewood of all types can't be removed from Bucks County.

The quarantine also extends to walnut material and hardwood firewood from Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

EDITED to add information about thousand canker disease in black walnut trees.
    Click here
    And another source is available, Click here also

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

It's Bush's fault.

GneJ

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Sounds like another Brady bunch gun confiscation scam. Guess we'll have to remove our gunstocks to transport our then stockless firearms. On the other hand, perhaps I could get rich making custom fit synthetic stocks.

Robert

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I read a report from the US Forestry Service which listed PN down a ways on the list of States per 1000 acres of Black Walnut inventories. "IF" i'm reading the data correctly, i'd think it would hardly make a dent. Link above.

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

It ihas just recently been discovered here in Pennsylvania but it is already a well established disease in several western states and is heading east. Incidentally, PA is around the seventh or eighth largest production state in the country and the highest in fertility of growth state (how quickly a tree can put on width and height) for black walnut.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Oh boy, there goes the price for current Walnut blanks into the stratosphere.

7. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

You don't want a quick-growning nursery tree for a gun stock -- unless you're selling to Perazzi. You want a tree that gets beat up by the wind and has to struggle to survive -- that's the way you get the fancy, convuluted grain we all love but hate to pay for.

8. ctreay

ctreay Member

We have a law in NY about some kind of beetle. We can not move firewood more than 50 miles from where it is cut.

ctreay

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The beetle you are talking about is probably the Ash beetle which is destroying millions of ash trees in eastern US. In my area the dept. of forestry has put up blue colored triangular shaped traps to track their movement.

10. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

It is the LONG HORN BEETLE. Likes all kinds of hard wood. It is now in Ohio. Henry

11. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

Ash is being killed by the Emerald Ash Borer, a Chinese import. It will kill every ash tree in North America.

12. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What if you have a walnut stocked shotgun in Bucks County.

Can you take it to a shoot in another part of the state?

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I own some wooded land in Indiana. A couple of years ago I had 3 black walnut trees die. I asked a forester about it and he said they probably died from chemicals because the trees where next to a corn field. This year I found 2 more dead and they are at least 500 ft. from the field. Dam!

14. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Should I buy this before it's illegal to own?
    littlegambler_2008_0303165.jpg

15. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago I read that a 20 year old black walnut tree was worth about $12,500. I planted a couple on my old property (since sold) and forgot about em. Never heard of that disease.

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I found a bunch of my hickory trees had painted hickory borers in them, tried to show them to our county agent, and he said that until he had a letter from the state it was not his concern. I said maybe you could inform them of it and he said.....don't work that way.....they have to tell us when there's a problem.

A lot of this could have been avoided if it would have been acted on, but we all know how hard it is to get our civil servants off their asses.

As far as walnut getting scarce.....take a look at a globe sometime......there's a lot of trees growing on this ole planet. I don't think we are clearing timber that much faster than was done in the old days.

17. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Two minute Google search and I found these:

"Missouri's nine-state external quarantine includes any firewood cut from hardwood tree species and walnut products, such as nursery stock, green lumber or any other walnut material living, dead, cut or fallen. Walnut logs, stumps, roots, branches and wood chips are included. Products exempt from the ban include nuts, nut meats, hulls and bark-free, kiln-dried lumber with squared sides. Finished products, such as furniture, instruments and gun stocks, are also allowed."

Also, from Pennsylvania, "Under a quarantine declared Friday by the state, no hardwood firewood, or walnut materials, living or dead, can leave the county except for nuts, processed lumber, and finished wood products without bark. Mulch and wood chips, composted and uncomposted, are included in the ban."

I don't think the sky is falling quite yet. Besides what about all the walnut trim in high end cars? Good thing my Silverado is the base model. Mark

18. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"We have a law in NY about some kind of beetle. We can not move firewood more than 50 miles from where it is cut.

You're lucky. I heard a radio announcement not long ago in California that recommended that you burn your firewood where you buy it.
    In other words, you can't take it home. Now that makes perfect sense.

I can see it now:
    "Okay Fred, give me two cord of mountain oak. Here's my check. Now, burn it. See you next year!"

19. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Good resource. http://www.dontmovefirewood.org/

We have dealt with the Tui chub, which is invasive species that ruined Diamond Lake, a trophy fishery. Also Google Zebra Mussel, and be glad you don't live on the Great Lakes. Mark

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The problem in Bucks Co. (3 miles away from me) is the infestation of walnut twig beetles which carry a devastating fungus. It's not just this county but California and a few other states. I have about a dozen black walnut trees on my property up to 2 feet in dia. We are being threatened by the fungus and the ash beetle, one of my ash is 3 feet in dia. It wood be sad to cut these trees down for fire wood if they are attacked. I had to have a large elm tree cut down a few years ago, the tree guy said it sucomed to eastern elm disease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.