1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Top Guns when cold

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazziboy1, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

I bought 4 flats of the Top Gun wounded warrior shells recently and had some problems with them not going off. I left 4 boxes in my car overnight, temps were in the 20s. I had 3 shells that wouldnt go off, and i tried them in 2 differnet guns. After the shells warmed up, i had no problems with them. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem. I really like them for 16s and doubles, but dont want to buy anymore if theres problems with them. Steve

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Performance on any shell will be affected if left in cold temperatures. That being said, they should still fire. I would suspect the gun before I would the ammo. Estate/Top Gun is the only factory shell that I've never had a FTF with.

3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I had a problem with Federals failing to fire last summer, but it was with the gray boxed Top Guns that were being sold in Wal -Mart. (1 oz. loads.) I bought six flats of the pink Top Guns at the Grand and have not had a single misfire with them. Martinpicker

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I kinda have to agree with skeetman. Have been shooting since 1950-51 & reloading since the early 60s, have only had 1 bad Fed. that I can remember & maybe half a dozen Rem. but then I've probably shot a 10 or 15 to 1 ratio of Rem. vs. Fed. Had so many bad Win. that I won't even buy them anymore, which is sad because the Win. AA CF was a really good hull, I reloaded a lot of them with Rem.components. Maybe you had a combination problem with the temps. i.e. cold shells + cold gun then as they warmed (from shooting & or body heat) the problem faded away. Just a thought-possibility. Ross Puls

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I keep a few cases of Win. Universals and Kemen in the van all the time. We regularly have typical midwest temps. and I have yet to have a fail to fire.

6. Sprkee

Sprkee Member

Hi Steve
    I live in Canada and we shoot alot of Top Gun here .I find them very good shells ,BUT the cold temp. makes the wad much harder and reduces the sealing of the powder with the wad and the caseing .I always bring the shells from my garage into the house , ,when the weather gets colder than 50 F,so they stay warm for shooting the next day. I have gotten caught the odd time and thought they would be ok but I always had problems ,at least a few sounded funny when they went off and when I brought them inside I never had a problem. So I can truefully say a warm shell, useing the Top Gun performs much better when at a good temperature ,than at a colder temp. I shoot 80% Top Gun and Challenger shells and Winchester and all these shell have reduced performance when cold. Many shooters here know that we have to bring in our shells ,just to reduce a possible problem on the line.

Brian

7. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I left the gun and the shells in the car overnight, so i have a feeling that between the shells and gun being cold, that was my issue. I will make sure i never leave the gun or shells out in the cold again. Hard lesson learned. Thanks again Steve.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

No problems w/TOP GUNS in cold weather.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. goony

goony Active Member

I just bought a flat of ultra field and had to ftf out of two boxes out of my model 50. I measured the rims and found that they were only .050" thick. The ones that fired were .055". Too much headspace. I have had ftf with the pink ones and Estates. I am going to use up the rest of this flat and then contact Federal with the final amount of ftf.

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

There are 4 of us shooting in a League. Usually all the ammo is Estate out of 2-Citoris, 1-Mod 12, 1-Ljutic. Occasionaly a ftf with the Ljutic, but almost never with the others. I almost NEVER leave ammo in the car overnight. Rio was the worst ammo to shoot in cold weather. (lots of funny noises and lost targets). Solution: Keep your ammo warm. Larry Evans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.