1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with mec 9000

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I have a shell locked in the resizer collet. The handle will not release and I can not get the shell out of the resizer. Never had this happen before and have no idea what to do or what caused it. Ideas please. Jim

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Tap the collet easy with a hammer and it will let go then lube the collet with some WD-40

3. striper

striper Member

You guys have answers for everything. Tapping worked like a charm put some Mec lube on it and were off and cranking again. Thanks

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

do not get the lube inside of collet and not alot on outside rick

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Not trying to start an argument or say anything negative about mecs, ( I've owned and used several ), but have you ever noticed that there's never threads titled, " Problem with Hornaday 366"?

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have had some problems with every loader I have used. Most of the problems were due to normal wear or my tinkering with the machine.

Pat Ireland

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Oil it and relieve the pressure on the collet.....then tap it!

8. k3uro

k3uro Member

Yes I have,

I got rid of mine :eek:).

Jim

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Blizzard, that is probably because there are only two Hornady's in existence, compared to the many thousands of MEC's being used.

Hauxfan!

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Also, after doing as above, get a fine pick and start at the bottom of each collet slit and pull up to clean trash and remove any slivers of stuck lead from in between. One piece can cause it to stick.

I use anti seize on my collet, white lube on handle roller and oil where needed. You can bend a piece of wire to use to apply the luber in back where hard to reach.

After several thousands of rounds I have removed my collet to really clean it good. When re installing be sure to use a straight edge to get top of collet below the plate surface or you will get the dreaded ping, which at times causes the primer to turn over or even jump out at times.Ray

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

After getting the shell out and cleaning the shot out I use a small artist brush with anti seize on it to go around the outside of the collet. If the brush is too big it will smear all over the place. Pop the stem(for lack of the proper name) out that lowers and lift the hull and clean it out also as sometimes a piece of shot will fall in there and cause it to hang up also. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.