1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with MEC 761R Grabber

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TrapCrazy, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I have a MEC761R Grabber and have just recently started to have a problem with it. When I pull the handle down as I get down about 2/3rds of the way it will bind and will not allow me to go any further. It hasn't dropped the powder yet so I can push the handle back up and then back down almost like a double stroke and it will sometimes complete the shell. I can't see where the problem is but appears it might be in the depriming stage because sometimes it does not return to the finished position. Any ideas? I hate to spend $150-$200 on a rebuid when I only paid $150 for it.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the collet resizer, a common problem is a piece of shot between the fingers. You can use a dental pic and a vacuum to clean it. Also lube all the joints and bearing surfaces on the machine. HMB

3. johnpe

johnpe Member

Another problem with the Grabber machines - all of them - is a buildup of spent primers in the tray. They will build up high enough to restrict the piece the hull sits on from dropping all the way down. The first time the handle doesn't go all the way down, shake the tray and try again. I find that I can load about 200 or so shells before the buildup gets to be a bother. Then the tray needs to be emptied. A third possibiity is the hull, usually because of a piece of shot or other debris, will not drop all the way down. When this happens, it's possible to produce a "rimless" load with shells that have brass heads. The leverage of the MEC presses is pretty impressive.

Johnpe

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Clean the collet, paying special attention to the recess provided for the shell rim.

And drill a hole in your bench.

HM

5. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Yeah,
    I was familar with the primers but HMB nailed it it was shot in the collet resizer. I took a bore brush and cleaned it out there had to be about 10 #8 shot in there. It was binding it up. All clean and the ammo factory is open again.
    Thanks Guys!

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You can always find what you want on here. Sometimes you get more than you want but it is a great site

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
761r grabber
mac grabber 761r

mec 761r

mec grabber 761r

mec grabber 761r manual
mec grabber problem
mec grabber problems
mec grabber troubleshooting