1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

problems with labs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

O K It's new puppy time around here and I have some decisions to make. We [my extended family] have got six dogs [english labs] in a row from the same kennel with pretty good results healthwise and trainability. Some skin problems but not what I would call serious. I'm thinking about breaking from tradition and looking elsewhere. the main reason is that I want a larger dog than what he breeds. My question for you all is this. Are labrador retrievers generally a trouble free breed or have I just been getting lucky with the health of our pups? Have any of you had some serious health problems with your labs? I would look for a kennel with some guarantees but that wouldn't mean much when you are already attached to the dog. Thanks Bill in northern MI

2. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

My yellow lab will be 14 years old this april, she has been a great dog ,health wise she has been a dream, I've duck hunted her hard her whole life and on Nov. 9th of last year I was out duck hunting with my three sons and she hurt her hip to the point where I didnt send her out anymore, but she still tried to do the retrieves , she has the heart of a champion but her body has just wore down.

She is still going strong but I know her hunting days are over and if she's still living next fall I know it's going to kill her not being able to go. I just bought a yellow lab and will pick her up at the end of march, her blood lines look very good, EIC and CNM free and a 26 month guarantee of hips and eyes, just hope she will be as good as Sadie.

I too looked at the British labs but just decided to go with an american lab,I really think good blood lines helps with the performance of the dog, but as far as health on the 14 year old, besides shots and food,I never had any expenses on her.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

None of them last forever - unfortunately. I have had two yellow labs and neither were from big name breeders. My first yellow dog lived for a bit over 14 years and was fairly active until the last 6 months or so. The only issue with him was a fatty tumor that developed on the side of the stomach area. It wasn't cancer and the vet was able to remove it cleanly.

The yellow dog I have now is 12 and has been 'in retirement' for the last two years or so as arthritis has had its way with him. No other health issues and he is still a happy dog and good friend.

You are right that guarantees don't mean much. I like the big labs too but really I think these big guys might be at greater risk of having their careers cut short by things like bad hips and/or arthritis. If and when I look for another yellow dog I will probably look into a smaller size bloodline.

Good luck to you.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

No problems at all..I keep up with my dogs ears and normal vet care immunizations plus I started her on the glucosamin regimen mixed in her food..she happy and energetic at 8yrs and hoping like the others to have her another 6 at least

5. jharryfrey@att.net

jharryfrey@att.net Member

I RAISED BLACK LABS WHEN I LIVED IN THE COUNTRY AND WHEN I MOVED TO THE CITY DUE TO AGE I BOUGHT AN ENGLISH LAB SMALLER IN SIZE , SHE IS SIX AND THE ONLY TROUBLE I HAD WAS WHEN MY WIFE FED HER SOME TABLE SCRAPS SHE THREW UP AND WHEN I STOPPED THAT HAVE HAD NO TROUBLE AT ALL.

6. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Labs are my favorite. Trained them in my younger years for field trial championships. It broke my heart when she left our family. We couldn't bare to replace her for years, the family was heart broken. When we started to talk about another dog my wife wanted a non-allergitic, non shedding
    Type and we decided on a GoldenDoodle. I must admit my family don't have the sniffles anymore.
    The clumps of hair rolling around the floor are gone ( a big plus). And she can compete with the best of them with her nose.
    CalvinMD, was nice enough last time to post photos of her with her 9 puppies. Now 4 1/2 weeks old.

7. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Slayer,

The only problem that I have ever had with my Lab-Chow mix mutt, is that once in a while he has this disease. It is called "CINDER BLOCK PLANTED SQUARELY BETWEEN THE EARS" LOL Great dogs!! Mine is very friendly and hunts a mean frog when I fly fish.

Chuck

8. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

My lab has that disease sometime too. We just met the new neighbors walking their three dogs. Ran up the road to greet them. He's a black english lab. Been training him to find whitetail sheds. He loves searching for them. I'd say if you want a heavier lab look at some of the american types. A little more energetic too, so if you're looking for a good frisbee dog you have to take a lot of time tiring out look there.
    magnumshot_2008_030316.jpg

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

This is the boy I'm looking to replace. I buried him in his favorite pheasant ground last October. Bill
    slayer_2008_030317.jpg

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My new Red Fox Lab.... Will be picking him up in three weeks!

stonewallracing_2008_170767.jpg

SW

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Its all about the breeding and breeders

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Even with guarantees, you may still run into problems with any dog, and if you are attached to it by then, too bad.

For a while, breeders were going for very long legged, heavy dogs, wanting speed and power for trials and hunting. Unfortunately, like anything in nature, there are design parameters, and when they are exceeded, you run into problems. The very big dogs I have run into seem to develop mobility problems (hips, knees, etc.)at a greater rate than they should have.

If you keep close to breed standard of 22.5"-24.5" at the shoulder, and about 60-75 pounds, you are going to probably have less problems than with a bigger dog.

I am on my third lab now (a mixed breed, but definitely a lab at heart)and I think that anything bigger than her 24" height and 68 pounds would be bigger than I would like in the truck or house.

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've had 5 labs all hunters and my wife and I wouldn't trade any of them for any amount of money. They have all lived 12 or more years one had a hip problem we had his hip replaced and he was great. No health issue to speak of just need to be active and loved

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity Bruce, what's the price tag on a new hip for a lab? thanks. Bill in northern MI

15. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I've had 4 labs. Two from American Field Trial Stock, and English.

Health wise, I had one dog that got cut from the lineup at a young age. She was from Field trial stock and had an auto-immune disorder. The breeder would have taken her back and euthanized her...we already spent thousands. Seemed like a waste. We found her a home with a vet tech who had access to the meds she needed.

I have noticed that the 'dudley' dogs (yellow with chocolate nose and eye rims) seem to be more predisposed to ear goop for some reason, all other things being equal.

16. Beni

Beni Member

Back in 1984 we were looking for a dog, my wife wanted a bull mastive and I wanted to try a lab. Well to her discontent I brought home my first Lab an american breed black,weve been hooked ever sinceseems like you will get between 11 to 13 years of the best love, companionship,loyalty,hell raising dogs there is. We only had 1 we lost to full blown glacoma at 1 year old. My fault for not researching the breeder better {breeder would not refund or help us in any way}. If you do your part with the right food, exersise, check ups, you should have less problems. There is however always a chance with any breed problems like cancer etc will happen.. If you choose a lab remember they live by a 3 F code, Food,Family,Fun, you never know what will be next enjoy them while you can.......... beni

17. James344

James344 Active Member

My family is looking for a black or chocolate female as a family pet. Anybody know a good breeder in Ohio that won't ask for a lot of money (>$500)? We're not hunters or looking to breed ourselves. Just want a really good pet, and labs are our favorites. My teeenage son is home schooled, so plenty of opportunty for exercise and attention.

18. A CHANCE

A CHANCE TS Member

The problem with Labs is that they don't live forever best dog, best friend, loyalty is their stock and trade

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

James:

Some good breeders here in Ohio, but I doubt 500. is going to get one.

Prices seem to be in excess of 1000., some 2000. or better.

That's a lot of money for a dog, IMO, but they seem to have a never ending waiting list.

Probably some Backyard breeders that are OK but check them out real good first.

If you want further info. PM me.

Regards.....Gerald

20. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

My English Lab developed cancer at 5 years and had to leave us. Broke my heart. 55 lbs of pure love, determination and heart. I'll have another some day. I think all Labs go through the goofy stage when they are young. I guess it's part of the breed's charm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.