1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with e3

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by R.Ewing, Jun 15, 2013.

1. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with using e3 powder? Have been getting some inconsistent loads lately.

2. Daryl Middlebrook

Daryl Middlebrook TS Member

I have been using E3 exclusively in my 12ga. 1 1/8 loads for years. 15,000 rounds. I have found it to meter consistently and have no problems with it. It is a clean burning powder. -----Win AA hulls,Win 209, 17gr. E3, CB1118-12 and 1 1/8 oz. Spolar loader.-----Suggest that you check for foreign material lodged in your drop tube.

3. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Had a similar problem, cleaned charge bar, drop tube, polished bush, still the same.

Read on here about earthing the loader, belted a 2ft steel bar bar into the ground just outside my loading room, drilled a small hole through the wall and attaches an earth lead to the loader and the bar, problem solved.

The bar is also near to an outside water tap so the ground stays moist

Some say its fooyee or black macic, don't really know, but it really worked for me

Argus

4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Way too little input to help you here.

Details my man, we need details.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

R., I'm wondering if you have a polycarbonate cylinder in your powder hopper. I experienced exactly the same thing when I first started using e3. It has so much nitro in the formulation that it etches the cylinder and tends to clump and bridge. I solved the problem by lining the powder hopper with a material that was impervious to e3 (etc.) and now I get very consistent drops. In fact, when i get a variation of 0.1 gr, I'm really surprised.

6. Minot

Minot TS Member

Had a similar problem with e3.
    Insert or hang a strip of BOUNCE inside the tube.
    Change when you think of it.

7. jalu

jalu Member

zzt,

What "e3 impervious material" did you use line your powder hopper with??

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

jalu, Wilson Jones makes a product called Wilson Jones View Tab transparent dividers. They are dividers used to separate sections in a 3-ring binder. The skew # on the back is 78910 55066. You can buy them in any office supply store. I bought mine at Staples.

I cut the tab and the spine off one of the dividers, roll it into a cylinder and insert it into the empty powder hopper. It unfurls until it hits the sides. It is a poly material that is not affected by powder, doesn't darken or melt like polycarbonate, and has surprising anti-static properties. I've used the same one for years and it looks just like the day I put it in.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Buy Jim Skeels aluminum base or change powders - E3 will destroy a PW base

10. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

"e3 will destroy PW base"...I've had no problems using e3 for several years in my PW with the stock base, and I doubt e3 is any more corrosive than any other popular powder from Alliant. And I have no problems with inconsistent drops. I love the stuff.

WNCRob

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Longshot and e3 both will do it in the right climate

12. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Ive had no problems with e3. Im into my 9th jug