1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Downrange XXL's

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I bought a few bags of Downrange XXL (Hunter orange color) to try in Federal Top Guns and Estate hulls.I loaded them with 1 oz.of shot over 18.4 gr. of Clays and Fiocchi primers (published data says about 1200 fps) I get a very soft shooting load but everybody on the line looks at me as if I really screwed up my load. It gives a very hollow sounding POOF, and I'm getting a very dirty barrel even though I'm using Clays. I do not have this problem with Downranges 1 1/8 oz. DRF3-12 in the same hulls. Anybody else experiencing this problem.
    The hulls are loaded on a MEC 9000 and really end up looking like a new shell but sure don't sound like and preform like it.

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Never tried Clays, but I get "poof" loads using Fiocchi primers with other powders when loaded a bit on the soft side. Although, I recently loaded up a bunch of NobelSport hulls with 20 gr of Green Dot pushing 1 1/8 oz and had nothing but bangs and great hits. My "scientific" testing revealed that Fiocchi primers are the weakest of the bunch, by a bunch!

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have also had soft loads and bloopers with Downrange wads in Riefenhauser hulls.

I guess I will stay with the Claybuster products made for them.

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I bought 5000 XXL orange wads and will be glad when they are gone. I finally found a use for them. 7/8 oz. in WAA hull for doubles first shot. Fiocchi primers are great except when temperatures go below 40 degrees then velocities drop. BRGII

What I can't understand is the XXL wad is supposed to be for 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz., I challenge you to load Estate or Top gun with 1 1/8 shot with good results.

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I was curious too as the wad's length is that normally associated with 7/8 oz. Loaded a Gold Medal with HS-700X and 1 1/8 oz of shot. Shell had a perfectly flat crimp. Candling it, I saw the the top "X" had collapsed, effectively shortening the wad. Maybe the secret is to use a relatively dense flake powder (HS-700X or Nitro 100) for best results with 1 1/8 oz of shot.

Looks to me that maybe Kevin has figured out how to make a universal wad.

- - Bill

6. furface

furface Member

I load the Downrange orange wad, 7/8oz shot in Topgun and Estate hulls with Fio. primers and had great luck. The wad will compress then lengthen out to the fold mark for a great crimp. I load Green dot and put healthy crimp on the hull and let them fly. I agree with the above post that it would be tough to put a 1 & 1/8 shot in them. Good luck,Joe

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I loaded 1000 1oz with the XXL orange wad and Fiocchi primers using Promo last fall. I shot them this past winter and spring with no problems.....Roger

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Be sure to not use in wad pressure on these wads when reloading them. I have not loaded any of the XXL Orange wads. I have loaded about everything else they make, and I also sell them. I do not load Fiocchi Primers or Hodgdon Clays. I will dig a bag of the XXL Orange out and see what I come up with.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

9. Ceil

Ceil Member

jbmi
    I have loaded a case of the XXL's in Gold Medals with no problem. The loads varied from 16.8 to 18.2 gr of Clays with a Federal primer and 1 oz shot. They all went bang and the lite loads cycled my 391 perfectly. Also loaded 20 gr Green Dot in the same hulls with no problem. I like them
    Ceil

10. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I had a few XXL's and did not like them very well. They seemed to fit rather loose in AAHS hulls. I measured the diameter of the base portion and it was smaller than the XL's, WAA12SL, 12SO, and WAA12L. If yours are loose you might be getting blow by or powder migration around the base of the wad. All other Downrange wads that I have tried worked great. Many folks like the XXL's, so maybe it was just me.

11. Chester White

Chester White Member

I am using the XXL's in RIO hulls with RIO primers. Kevin tells me this is the proper wad to use with this hull. I have used them with 1 oz of shot and as high as 19.5 grains of Nitro 100.
    I too get looks from others on the squad for shooting bloopers. And when the temperature gets below about 50, it is really noticeable. Using 7/8 oz shot was worse.
    I don't plan to buy any more.

12. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I had the same experience as those who had problems, I solved it by making a deeper crimp, which I guess upped the pressure, and its now my favorite wad for the straight hull reloads with l oz. or less of shot. Bruce

13. Chester White

Chester White Member

Bruce, would you share with us what components you used? When you say 1 oz or less, can I assume you have loaded 7/8 oz and the shells worked OK?

14. IndyJohnO

IndyJohnO TS Member

No problems. I have used the Downrange DR-XXL-7/8 oz wad (bright pink color) for my 12 ga 7/8 oz loads since it was introudced. Working on 25,000 useage.

I use the once fired HS AA 12 ga hulls, Cheddite primers, Solo 1000 powder, 8.5 shot, get excellent crimps and the reloads look line new shells. Hulls are discarded after 10 loadings when start to look a little grungy.

Chronographed at 1187 fps velocity. Performance is excellent at 16 and 20 yards. Very light recoil.

JohnO

15. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hello Folks

Lets see if we can get this figured out.

jbmi, would you please give me a call @ 402-463-3415.

Thanks
    Kevin @ 402-463-3415

16. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Like mike said Kevin @ Downrange goes above and beyond the call of duty. Just spoke to him myself.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

17. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Chester, I use north west shoot, which I believe is smaller than what is listed, so,their 7.5 is really closer to an 8 in size and their 8 is like a 8.25. In a federal hull with paper base, I use 15/16 of their 8's an xxl wad, 17.2 of Rex1 (it works real well in the high volume hulls as it very bulky) and any winchester or similar primer. I shoot at altitude, so shooting 16's with a modified choke turns the targets inside out with out any recoil. Hope this helps, Bruce

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I was given a quantity of the orange ones for Fed hulls, very poor results.

I couldn't get 2 shells to sound alike, and performance was erratic.

AA, STS, no problem with the right wad.

Something stinks with the combination of Fed/Estate and the orange wad.

Hope you sort it out.

HM

19. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

OK....OK! Everyone that is having problems with their DownRange XXL Orange wads can send them all to me. I'll give you $50 per 5000 shipped to 93614.

20. Chester White

Chester White Member

The wad in question is the orange XXL (for straight-walled hulls) not the pink version which is for tapered-wall hulls. I have a hard time buying the point that the crimp is the deciding factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

xxxl hull porom com