1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

problems with claybuster wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mr.mark, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I have used the 1 oz. claybuster wads at 60 lbs. of pressure, with 18.5 grains of solo 1000 for about 5000 rounds now and have no problem. Recently tried a new load of 20.5 grains of solo 1000 for a 7/8 oz. load. I was out of 1 oz. claybuster wads and so I used some old activ wads I had laying around they are the L-33 brown wad intended for 1 1/8 shot. They loaded ok and shot great, and so I bought some gray claybuster 7/8 oz. wads and tried this same combination. Big problem, about half of those ten shells I loaded just poofed and the wad barely cleared the barrel. I went back and threw 30 test loads and weighed each and the loader is throwing the right amount of shot and lead each time. I have tried gray AA, silver AA, red AA, and Rem green STS. I have tried wad pressure from 20 to 60 lbs. I have set a deep crimp of 3/32 and a light crimp that just makes the top flat. All to no avail, about half of the shells just don't go bang right, the shot hits the back of the trap house and it sounds like a cap gun. I tried the active wads again and had no problems.

Has anybody ever had any trouble like this with the claybuster 7/8 oz. wads? Or know where I can get some more of the active wads? Any suggestions on another type of wad to use with 7/8 oz. loads?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. mark54

mark54 Member

I load the gray claybuster 7/8th oz wad in old style AA, STS, & Gun Clubs for skeet. 700X powder & just enough wad pressure to move the gauge. Never had a problem.

Mark54 in Lititz

3. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

Active left the USA several many years ago and the only Active wads that you might find have been gathering dust since then. Not very likely that you would find them in any quantity. Also note that in the last days of Active in the USA they made all of thier wads using up thier stock on hand plastics, and you can and will find the same wad in several different colors and plastic configurations.

You did not mention which primer you are using, and that is critical in relation to what kind of wad you use, having to do with the characteristics of the plastic it is made from.

Currently the most popular wad for 7/8 oz loads is the recently released Downrange Mfg XXL in pink size for tapered cases, and orange size for straight wall cases. See the ad and new product notice in this months Shotgun Sports magazine.

4. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Thanks for the info.

I have only ever used win 209 primers, and have always had good luck with them in my 1 oz. load.

Just read another thread about the windjammer wads, so I think I may give them a try.

I did measure the diameter of the activ wad versus the claybuster, and noticed that the activ is about .005" larger. I wonder if when using 20.5 grains of powder I am not getting a good seal around the claybuster wad?

5. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Thanks Charles

I have a brand new wad guide on my reloader with all the fingers in place, and I checked to make sure that the wad is going in straight, by loading slowly. Back when I had a worn out wad guide, I always felt when the wad cocked off to the side, and would put that shell in my practice bin, funny though they all went off just fine, that was using the 1 oz. claybuster wad with my 1 oz. load.

6. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

Bill if you and all of the car owners in America only used Ford parts on Fords and Chevy parts on Chevy's etc etc etc and branded NAPA and all the other after market auto parts suppliers as you said "left handed" and you refused to use them, 94.5 percent of those cars would stop dead in thier tracks.

Part of what makes this a great country is your freedom to choose. You choose to use OEM (original equipment manufacture) while the vast majority of us (87%)choose after market brands, without lableing you OEM types "left handed". Thats what seperates us here in the USA from the folks in communist China or the USSR, freedom to choose

7. Kerry

Kerry TS Member

I load 7/8 oz AA with 17.7 gr. of Solo 1000, W-209 primers, and WAA12L wads and they work fine.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've used the CB 078, gray wad for 7/8 oz loads for at least 12 years; AA red and silver and STS hulls, mostly 700X but some Clays, Cheddites and Winchester primers and never had an issue with them. I, too, use only enough pressure on seating the wad to make the gauge barely move, crimp the thickness of a dime, pretty as a picture. My guess is with 20+ grains of most any powder and the tall, 7/8 oz wad, you're crushing the wad in order to close the crimp. I don't know if that's causing your dilemma or not but I'd recommend using a 1 oz or even a 1 1/8 oz wad that will place the shot column level lower with that much powder.....breakemall...Bob Dodd

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Oh, another thought, Solo 100 is a pretty slow burning powder, right? I'm really unfamiliar with it so excuse my ignorance if wrong. A 7/8 oz shot load is not a lot of weight to hold back the action of slow burning powders and you'll often find a situation where you're not getting a good powder burn with that combination resulting in "poof" loads. With light loads (shot), it's always recommended to faster burning powders to avoid the dilemma - thus the 700X, Clays, Red Dot types.....Bob Dodd

Hmmm, checked a chart and see Solo 1000 is quite fast. I'll back out of this great piece of advice. But, now I wonder about that huge quantity of very fast powder? Maybe back to crushing the wad for an answer. BD

10. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

The length between the over powder cup and the shot cup on those activ wads I used and had great luck with, was about half of the length on that claybuster 7/8 oz. wad, so upon firing this high pressure load, my wad may be getting crushed off to one side and not sealing good. Am currently researching downrange windjammer wads, as they seem to have a loyal following on here.

Thanks to all,
    Mr. Mark

11. k3uro

k3uro Member

$65 for off brand

$125 for Remington

Big differance for little gain.

Take care,

Jim

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, Mr. Mark, when you decide, use the wad that when the wad is firmly seated (not crushed), the top of the petals is at the point where the crimp will roll into the center. I really think the 7/8 oz wad with that much powder is just too high....Bob Dodd

13. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Thanks Bob,

I am currently looking at the 1 oz. windjammer wad that is green and has the four petals, this should be a lower shot cup and I think it may help a bunch.

I have always watched to see that the top of the wad meets with the crimp roll, however I don't know how much the wad is getting crushed in the case in the process! Will check into this, thanks again.

Mr. Mark

14. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Bill Gardner,
    For those of us who reload to actually save a little bit of money, Jim above gives you the difference between fashion designer overpriced wads and what the majority of us here consider to be a perfectly comparable wad. Lets see 125 minus 65 = 60 dollars left over. For 60 dollars I could get around 4500 more of the off brand wad, 24 founds of practice, pay for entering a registered shoot (sing and doubs), or buy 4 lbs of powder. I can think of alot to do with the money saved.

Forrest

PS I load the 7/8 oz load CLaybuster grey wad with no trouble. I use this with an extra full choke to help me read my breaks for practice. It makes you really tighten up!

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

There is nothing wrong with using an after market component as long as the component is a clone of the OEM component. It is possible that Mark is mixing different wads/cases and getting some inconsistent results. I would expect this.

Pat Ireland

16. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I use primarily gray and red AA hulls. I have a few other hulls I tinker with like remington nitros and sts. However when I load a box or a case or a thousand rounds it is going to be in a AA hull, simply because that is what I have access to. In using these claybuster wads, I use the WAA12SL replacement for my 1 oz. loads, which is the CB-1100 and that wad works great. The CB078 wads I bought the other day are the replacemnt for the WAA12L which is the winchester 7/8 oz. load, these are the ones I am having trouble when I use my 7/8 oz. load in them. Thanks for the tip though.

Mr. Mark

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mr. Mark- It does appear that you are using the proper wad. Others use these wads with no problems. The weak loads you described have happened occasionally to me also. I have gotten them when I let my powder bottle run low or when I have nicked the base of the wad because of broken wad guide fingers. Others have described similar problems when there is an obstruction in their powder drop tube. Reloading problems are usually easy to fix once the actual problem is discovered.

If your wads in the light loads can be recovered, I suggest that you examine the base of the wad carefully. The over powder cup should look as it did when the wad was new. In fact, used wads can actually be used again. I would also weigh 20-30 powder drops. Something is happening and you must spend the time to figure out the problem.

Pat Ireland

18. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Great news all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am currently using some DR JAMMER XL-1 wads with the 8 fingers and having great luck out of my little 7/8 oz. loads. Have a truck load of the DR XL-1 wads headed this direction vie UPS and hope to have great luck with them as well as they are basically the same wad, just with less fingers and hopefully easier to load!

Thank you to everyone for all the great advice,
    Mr. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

difference between claybuster versus winchester wads

plastic aa trap wads

problems with claybuster 1075 wads