1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Caesar Guerini Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by XXPowder, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

I think it important to bring to light that Caesar Guerini has problems with their chokes! I've taken mine in several time because I am unable to get it out after shooting a 500 rounds or so. Caesar at the Grand had a long line of people with problems! They tell you not to use grease, but to use some kind of oil, and remove it each 100 shoot clean it and re-oil it! They tell you that rust forms when left un-oiled and that what makes it hard to get out.

I thing the problem is a production problem! The choke doesn't fit close enough to the sides of the barrel! I've seen on other gun the yellow-brown stuff that forms on the sides of the Choke, but it doesn't cause problems like in the Caesars. I shot with a guy at the grand that had his barrel replace by Caesar. He said the choke took on a strange shape and damaged the barrel and they replaced. I also saw the repair guy beating on chokes every day when I was in there at the grand and hear other reports from several shooters of problems. They told me the yellow-brown stuff was rust from water build up, I think it's plastic from the wads pushing under the chokes and if left and not removed causes problems.

I think that any shooter shooting a Caesar Guerini should give full attention to removing his choke every 200 rounds and cleaning the barrel and keeping the plastic build up to a Minium. I really do believe that you could see some serious barrel problems if you fail to keep your barrel and chokes free of plastic.

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I believe them that it forms rust. I have taken the guerrini chokes out after 500 shells or so and there is rust on them. So I went to briley. No rust no problem getting them out. I grease the threads before I put them in and shoot 500 shells or so. And I use a cleaning cloth to unscrew them because it is easier that way. My two cents.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have been shooting my Caesar Guerini for a year now and over 10,000 shells I
    use Grease on my choke tubes and have for years and no rust problem ever, I do remove them once in a while and wipe them off, install grease again and re install them, I feel the grease stops the gas leakage up and around the thrteads.

The tubes fit tightly and are close tolerance fit.

I never ever believed in using oil, on the tube threads.

I once owned a Ljutic with the early first type of Ljutic Tubes and the tube was stuck in the Bbl, actually rusted in, I wrapped the tube with a cloth and put the Bbl in a vice and it turned out easily w/ pipe wrench, only the weight of the wrench brought it out. They had used oil.

I greased it up after cleaning the tube and Bbl threads, never another problem.

Have been using a yellow and blue label grease, forgot the name, will look and advise when i get the gun out of the case tomarrow.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I use anti sieze on my CG chokes and no problem.

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

They replaced my sons barrel for the exact problem mentioned above. Bill

6. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

i heard that on some of the barrels(dont remember which models) that there was a problem with the threading, the barrels werent trued when the cut the threads causing the chokes to go in crooked. dont know how true this is as i dont own one, just over heard it in a conversation while at the grand.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have used CMD grease on mine since new with zero problems. Tried Gator Tears once and had to use a glove to loosen the tube after only 100 rounds. Went back to CMD grease. I have about 8500 rounds through mine now.

--- Chip King ---

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

My wife had a CG Summit and we had that exact problem with the tubes. CG did replace a Choke tube due to a rusting problem. It does happen very fast also. Jake

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

My C-G came with Seminole chokes (they are a re-seller of C-G's and provide their chokes with the guns).

Never a problem with chokes sticking, and this gun tends to NOT see a lot of use (20/28 gauge combo) - I tend to shoot 12 gauge most of the time.

You might consider 'up-grading' to a better line of tubes?

David D

10. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

If you look at Browning invector choke tubes the threads are on the breach side of the tube. When fired the gas pressure can't get past the threads therefore the barrel of the tube is unexposed to the gas pressure.

On Caesar Guirini tubes the threads are on the muzzle end of the tube. When fired the gas pressure can get between the tube and the barrel. When left unlubed the tubes will stick.

If you grease the choke tubes with grease on the barrel of the choke tube it takes up the clearance between the tube and the barrel. Upon firing the gas and pressure can not get between the tube and the barrel (hydraulic effect) hense the tube does not stick.

There is not much clearance between the tube and the barrel so just a light coating of grease is all that's needed. I use the same grease on the tube that I use on the hinge pin's - currently Pro Gold.

Michael Stephenson

11. ink ball

ink ball Member

Although I don't own any CG's now, I have had as many as three at one time. Can't say I ever had any problems with the choke tubes getting stuck. In fact, the problem I had with my trap model CG was the chokes didn't stay tight. I just got in the habit of retightening them after every round of 25, so it was not a big deal. I always used grease on the threads, and I always removed the chokes and cleaned them after every day's shooting.

Wish CG would cut some notches in their choke tubes so that you could use a proper choke wrench. The friction choke wrench that they have for sale is little if any better than using your fingers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
caesar guerini choke tubes
caesar guerini choke tubes for sale

caesar guerini chokes

caesar guerini chokes for sale
caesar guerini problems
guerini choke tubes
guerini chokes
problems with caesar