1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with BIO targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JPayne, Jun 18, 2013.

1. JPayne

JPayne TS Member

We are a small recreational club located in Waxhaw, NC. We throw trap target on well-maintained Pat Traps, skeet targets on well-maintained Pat Traps and 5 stand targets on well-maintained ProMatic traps. We throw 800,000+ targets a year. A few years ago when the price of pitch target increased, we switched to Bio targets. We have been happy with them until the last load we received direct from the factory about May, 15, 2013. We always order a full tractor-trailer and they are delivered to us straight from your Coal Township plant. We have been averaging, until now, just shy of 26 target per round or about 4% loss – most of this, in the past, has been shooters taking extra shots (confirmed by our range officers)and lookie birds.

In the last round of targets we received we are losing about 15-20% of the targets – almost all due to breakage. In fact, we had one round of 5 shooters this weekend that had 21 broken targets in one round and another group of shooters that had to throw 10 pairs to get one good pair of doubles. We have measured many targets and are finding a variance of a quarter inch or more. When we look at the targets closely we are finding that there are cracks in many of them – some hairline and some more severe.

Are any other shooters experiencing this same issue with BIO targets?

All replies will be forwarded to White Flyer as they are working with us on this issue.

Thanks
    Jim
    Charlotte Rifle and Pistol

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You're not the only one. Pocono Slate in Bangor PA is having exactly the same problem!!

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Make SURE you get the lot number off the boxes. Been there, done that.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bios are not worth the savings

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

See the thread "Lets Talk Bio Targets."

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We get ours from MO... and have not experienced the issues you bring up... possibly a QC for that facility?!

Jay

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We just got a new load, also in mid May. We haven't got into them yet as there was old stock to use up. Do you mind sharing lot numbers, I would like to check them against what we received.

PM would be fine if you rather not distribute the data.

Thanks

8. Avatar

They seem to work for me. I do sometimes get a puff of powder instead of a break, but I figure that's because only one pellet nicked the bird.

9. riggs

riggs Member

STAY away from BIO targets not constant Junk

Riggs

10. spitter

Our breakage is nominal... if the guys handle the boxes well, next to nothing... if your rough with a box... well then. But don't tell me pitch targets aren't china eggs - they're made to smoke and break...

Bios on average less than 2-3% per case...

Jay

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

I help load the traps and if your not careful opening the box you end up breaking the centers of the targets. I also don't like the fact that you don't get smoke just a insignificant white cloud.

12. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

We use Bio at our club. The last shipment the pallets were only single wraped with plastic. The skids were tilted a good 8in. from top to bottom. I talked with the White Flyer rep in PA last week and sent him the lot nos. and pictures of the shifted skids. At this time they are looking into the problem but it sounds as if you may have a like problem. Check to be sure the skids are wraped properly and that the boxes have not shifted during transit and caused fracture of targets in cases that look good.

13. spitter

You wouldn't ordinarily think about damage during shipment, but you bring up a good point to consider... I'll also mention that to my folks. While haven't had the experience of others mentioned above... something to observe on delivery.

Thanks...

Jay

14. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

My question is if you know you are shooting BIO's do you shoot larger shot size or the same as Pitch ?

15. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Spitter, rough handling accounts for many broken bio birds. It's like handling egg cartons if you want to minimize breakage. Glance over the birds for cracks when loading the machines as well or it'll be spewing chips.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Remingtonman - at our club last winter we had to shoot 5's & 6's to break bios. we have 77 members and I heard complaints from every one of them

17. spitter

RP... that's what I was trying to say above... our breakage has been minimal over the years... actually it's so significant we've been able to see a savings in waste... much lower than our experience when we threw pitch targets. We did not experienced "excessive" breakage, but even with the best handling, it was inevitable that pitch targets would costs us 5-10 birds/case (round)...

I do help load our machines, but sometimes I'm loading so fast, I don't have time to actually observe the birds themselves... our waste today averages 2-3 birds/case... on occasion, sure we get a bad case due to someone not handling so well, but it's rare...

Jay

18. oleolliedawg

cubancigar2000, I shot 50 BIOS at our club yesterday with lt. #8's. Nearly all were smoked even though I missed 3. You must have received a bad batch or maybe your guys need shooting lessons!!

19. oleolliedawg

White Flyer removed all our defective targets and replaced 'em!!

20. Adam54

Adam54 Member

I agree the bios are as hard as rocks. We shot some at a recent shoot and the dust just flew off several targets but didn't break. I was using 8 shot I guess 7.5 might help.