1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with 7.3 diesel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Don Nelson, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Nelson

Don Nelson Member

Backed out of drive and just died. Engine is full on oil. Hooked to scanner and no RPM while cranking, Replaced cam sensor and now have RPM's when cranking but no start. Replaced fuel regulator on high oil pressure pump, still won't run. Engine won't even fire on WD-40 or starting fluid. Scanner won't complete a KOEO self test either. Thanks in advance for any other ideas.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

it's in a Ford...go figure...

3. Burnpwdr

Burnpwdr TS Member

Don, Google the Diesel Place and the Diesel Page forums and post your question there. Lots of helpful and knowledgable guys. You might even find your fix by doing a search. Their info has saved me many trips to the dealer. Good luck. Doug

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

What year and model? There have been some significant changes over the years that could make it easier to diagnose. The injectors on most of these, work on a secondary high oil pressure system. Almost anything that inhibits the secondary oil pressure or the processor's reading of it could give trouble. If the Processor is unresponsive, I'd be looking at power and grounds first. There are some very specific diagnostic routines for these vehicles. A scan tool (NGS or WDS) can give a ton of information with the key in the "ON" position, through the data link. The KOEO and KOER test routines are different for most diesels when compared to a gasoline powered vehicle. You should look at the diesel section in a PCED manual for the appropriate year and follow the specific diagnostic routines for the concern. If you don't have one, check with Helm, inc. and see what they would get for a complete set of manuals for the vehicle. Either that, or have it towed to a qualified repair facility.

5. SILVER S 007

SILVER S 007 Member

BUT remember this....... unlike a gasoline engine it takes tow things to make a diesel run air and fuel thats all you can go from there

6. SILVER S 007

SILVER S 007 Member

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You also need heat with pressure/compression.

8. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

well you have joined into a group of people with engine problems. Its sad to say they have a 90% failure rate on their engines. I have had to remove several from school busses do to the oil branch tube that runs between the engine and transmisson. It connects to gallies in the cylinder heads that run the injectors. They were silver soldered. Once it cracks, the oil dumps directly into the oil pan. I recommend taking it to the best ( not neccessarly the closest) Ford truck dealer. They should cover the repair under warranty. Good luck. Don

9. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Things to consider as possibles:

Fuel lift pump in tank has died...on Fords they do this often enough. You start the truck and use all the fuel in the lines before the engine starves itself out of fuel.

Solenoid on injection pump failing to energize or not getting signal....locate wiring diagram and use test lamp to verify.

Air leak somewhere between tank and injection pump...will always suck air before they draw fuel. You can plumb a standard low pressure electric fuel booster pump between tank and fuel filters...if you have an air leak...you will find it soon enough with fuel squirting around. My 97 cummins had a line that developed a pinhole and would suck air from time to time until I found it with the booster pump and fixed it.

Injection pump has failed....usually have some warning beforehand, but not always. This one requires some serious work and cash. Try others first.

I'm somewhat puzzled by no response from the starting fluid...I never saw a sound engine that I couldn't get a bark from ether. Sometimes I've had to run my combine on ether to get injection lines purged of air. Just don't load it all up before you turn the key....have it cranking over as you use the ether....it's best NOT to have the glow plugs cycling (just pull the wires) or the manifold heater element disabled.

Actually Silver S 007 said you need fuel and air....but you also need compression of that air or it won't run.

FWIW I do have more than a few diesels around....6 JD's, 1 IHC, 3 MF's, 1 Cat, 2 small Cummins, 1 BIG Cummins, 2 Case, and a Yanmar mower.

Find a farmer friend...he will get it started...or at least narrow your search.

Bob T.

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Fuel Pump, yes. Oil Pump(s), Yes. What "injection" pump? These units are usually Direct Injection (D.I.T. = with turbo) and the pressure is provided by a secondary high pressure oil system. Injector firing is controlled electronically.

12. mobear

mobear Member

For a simple check, make sure your batteries are ok, they can drop in power, you can turn engine over but will not start.

13. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

I'm thinking primarily of the older 7.3 diesels....if it's common rail or direct injection type then disregard comments on injection pump....still can't think of why no response to ether.

Bob T

14. fordtech

fordtech TS Member

Check the high pressure resivoir oil level.It has a plug on the top of it takes a 1/4 inch allen wrench to remove,located at the top of the timing cover.When you remove it the oil level should be about a half inch from top.Sometimes when you crank it extendedly such has in a no start the oil will empty out and cause this.You stated you had a scanner plugged in,does it monitor live data from sensors?if so look at your icp reading while cranking.MUST be over 500psi or will not start.If not aleast 500 psi check the engines base oil pressure,have seen many of these that the oil pumps get worn or the pressure regulator hangs and wont build oil pressure.The high pressure pump feeds off of low (or base)oil pressure.Let me know if this dont point you to problem and i will try to help. Don Cummins

15. 3200

3200 TS Member

Diesel Place or Diesel Page - both have been a god send when dealing with issues on my GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel.

16. Pump4Smoke

Pump4Smoke Member

My money says Mobear is right, happened to me. Even though it cranks, radio and lights work, if it drops below a certain amperage=no start condition.

Best Ford desiel site is thedieselstop. Looks like problems with the injector sleeves going out allowing fuel to enter cooling system, for engines over 100k. My bro-in-law just spent 2900 to fix, had to remove heads. Ouch!

17. Pump4Smoke

Pump4Smoke Member

Sorry, hope link fixed.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sounds like when the main wire harness fried on my 7.3

19. Don Nelson

Don Nelson Member

thanks im after it all let you know what i find out
    thanks don nelson

20. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member