1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems w/MEC Plastic Crimp Starter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Anyone else having problems w/Mec Plastic Crimp Starters? I bought new replacement ones only to have the same problem, it is adjusted correctly, but when crimping plastinc AA or Remington STS shells the crimp starter comes off the ball stud and stays on the shell to the next station, Either the ball stud is too small in diameter on both of my 9000 series loaders, or the opening in the crimp starter is too large, to Remedy the situation I use my flat bladed soldering tip on my soldering gun and melt the plastic in on 4 sides to make the opening smaller and it stays on.

I wish I could find the older metal series, never had a problem with it.

I have 8 eight point crimp starters next to my loader that won't stay on the ball stud. Even the 6 pointed one is coming off. Like I said it is set at the proper height.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Yes, they do that. I buy them 3 at a time from Mec. They are cheap. Rick ~~~Texas

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Call MEC with your problems. Their customer service is AA++. Wayne

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'm glad the ones on my Hornady's are threaded on.

ss

5. fishguts

fishguts Member

I've had that happen once in awhile, mostly on well-used AA cases. I sprayed a lite hit of oil inside the crimp starter and wiped it into the folds, I think there was a build up of burnt powder residue, or something.

Wayne

6. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Gary,

I have a metal crimper and 6&8 point spinners for 15.00 + shipping if you are interested.

thanks
    lee

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I shimmed up the ball using teflon pipe thread tape till I got a new one.

8. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had the same problem, replaced them and still had the same problem. I fixed them by using two 3/16 drift punches. I place one in my vice facing up, place the crimp starter hole on top of the punch then place the other punch over the hole and tap punch with a hammer compressing plastic shrinking the hole size.

9. VNVET

VNVET Member

I've had the same problem and here's what I did to solve the problem. Remove the 1/4" stud holding the crimp starter and grind off the ball on the stud. In a lathe, face off and drill and tap the end of the stud for 4/40 thread. Using a socket head 4/40 screw and small washer, re-attach the crimp starter using loktite on the threads leaving the screw so the crimp starter can spin freely.

MEC has no solution for this except to sell you another crimp starter which will have the same propblem. I have five MEC reloaders and had to do this on both 12 ga machines. Other guages seem to work fine.

I admit this new style crimp starter does a better job than the old style brass starter, especially on once fired Rem. hulls where the crimp folds may not be clearly defined.
    Jim

10. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Had this problem and solved by raising up the starter a thread or two.

Regards

W&W

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I take the mounting stud, jam 2 nuts on it and put in a vise. Then I smack the ball part with a hammer a little to increase the diameter.

Cost: Nothing.

Time: about 5 minutes.

problem solved.

HM

12. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

When this began to happen with my 650 I cut a piece off an ol "rubber" birthday balloon , folded it over, slipped it over the ball joint, reattached the starter crimp, and it has been good for 5 years now.

13. esetter

esetter Active Member

I had the same problem and simply raised the starter a couple threads. It still does the job and doesn't stick. I think if it is just a little too low it sticks on the body of the hull and pulls off the ball.

14. L21L39

L21L39 TS Member

I believe Ballistic Specialties has solid brass crimp starters for MEC. MUst be a common problem if aftermarket is on it.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Raising and lowering this thing is not a proper fix. It's supposed to be adjusted so the hole in the hull after forming is about the size of a lead pencil.

HM

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I can honestly say that in 10 years I never had that problem with my Grabber. Six point or eight point, worked fine. I mostly reload Remington hulls. I had it adjusted so it would do what it said, "crimp STARTER". I figure that as long as all the sections were started evenly, it was doing it's job. My Grabber was old enough that it came originally with the metal starter, but I only had the 6 point insert, so I got the plastic ones. Each plastic one had its own stud, so I never wore out the hole snapping it in and out. I locktighted the one nut to keep the adjustment and used a brass thumb nut for quick change. I'll bet if a person would back off the adjustment a couple of threads, the problem would go away. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

17. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Folks,

Just to add my experience with the above subject of crimp starters, here goes: I have used MEC loaders since my first 650 in 1976. I currently have six Mec machines in use, Grabbers in .410, 28, 20, and 12 gauges, one Automate 9000 12 ga. and one hydraulic 9000 12 ga. I have certainly had my share of problems with various mechanical issues over the years, but can honestly say that I have never had one of the plastic crimp starters stick on a shell and come off the stud. I leave the opening a little larger than the "pencil lead" criteria stated above and don't think that's a real critical setting, but if this were happening to me the first thing I would do would be to raise the starter a little and probably spray a little silicon into it.

As to MEC loaders in general, they are like Remington 1100's and 870's along with most military arms, that is, an amazing design with an minimum of expensive machined parts. They are made to simply replace replace a part here and there periodically and it helps if the operator is a bit of a "tinkerer" at heart.

That said, Happy New Year and let's get back to shooting...

Larry

18. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Just to add a NOTE the proper adjustment is the opening of the hull should be the size of a pencil eraser, if you are going smaller you are forcing the hull into the crimper with no where to go and causing it to stick.

lee
    [​IMG]

19. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

DR LONGSHOT Itook saran wrap and placed it over the hole folded over with shot of oil and pushed it on about 5 thousand shell ago. the new ones are still in the parts drawer. I have done this for about 30 yrs so I guess I can say it works. but remember you have to change saran wrap about every 3 months.

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I called MEC today and they took my problem under advisement, the big boss was not in today but they reviewed the problem on this posting and they said they would be doing something about it and are sending me several more 8 point crimp starters.

BIRD DOG 1964 that is the way I have the crimp starter set, even backed it off a little more, but it still pulls it off the Knob, on all brands of shells that have 8 point crimps.

I may try the saran wrap fix or thicker plastic.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
310 mec loader starter crimp
lowering the starter crimp on mec reloader

mec crimp starter

mec crimp starter kit
mec crimp starter pre 1982
plastic 8 crimp for mec reloader
problems with mec 9000 h 410 loader