1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

problems under the lights

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have written here of this problem in the past, but it's still giving me fits so here goes. I see that most [but not all] shooters have diminished scores under the lights. Does anyone have any insight as to why this is, and any possible solutions. I go from being a 24/25 shooter in broad daylight to 19/21 under the lights. I got clear anti-glare glasses:not much help. Tried a higher hold, seemed to help for a while but now I'm back to the low scores again. Has anyone heard of ANYTHING that would help this problem. thanks Bill in MI

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It is tough to shoot under lights. It's disorienting and messes with depth perception.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, I have always shot well under the lights and love it. You need good lighting and white birds

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"It is tough to shoot under lights. It's disorienting and messes with depth perception."</I></blockquote>

Probably true, but why is depth perception or lack of same and issue in shooting trap, at night or otherwise?

MK

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Most small clubs do not have enough lighting. I find I have to wait until its really dark in order to see the targets under the lights. Also I find staying in the dark or around the field and not changeing the amount of light your eyes are exposed to helps me. ie I do not go in and out of the trap house/clubhouse, I keep my glasses on all the time.

6. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

"Probably true, but why is depth perception or lack of same and issue in shooting trap, at night or otherwise?"

I would say that without the ability to view objects in the background such as tree's, then it is more difficult to guage the speed and distance of the bird.

John MI

7. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I found that a slightly lower hold than normal and taking 1/2 a second longer look at the target before moving the gun helped my night shooting scores. I use a light rose tint under the lights.

Rich in Indiana

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- I agree with you. Depth perception should not have an influence on shooting trap. The best background for day shooting is a clear sky.

Under the lights, the total light available is much less than in the day time. At 30 yards, the target becomes difficult to see clearly. You can see the target but it is difficult to see a sharp edge between the target and the background. Much less total light is reflected from the target back to your eyes when shooting under the lights.

Pat Ireland

9. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

When I shoot under the lights, the breaks in the background before the sky is fully dark is what can give me fits.

Or said another way, the change from good solid background to slightly lighter sky makes the bird disappear!

I have to either be more aggressive, get it before the skyline or completely trust my swing, trust my swing as in "I was onto bird long enough that even when I can't see it, if I keep my swing constent, pull the trigger where I mormally would, it will break, shoot then wait and see if a whole bird comes back into view", seeing nothing is good thing!

One league I ran off a few 50 straights, by trusting my gun/swing!

The other draw back, is when you can see the bird so well, that you just fall in love with looking at it, then you end up taking shots 10 to 20 yards further then you do during the day. That is when I have get aggressive, I really am not shooting faster then during the day, but it feels that way! Maybe that is because the bird is a little further out of the house before I get a good look at it, but when I see it, I see it big and clear, so with out the see it break attitude it can get pretty far down range before I shoot.

Al Lingham

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks for the response guys. I think if I could practice under the lights my scores would improve, but this isn't possible where I do most of my shooting. Sometimes I think that most of the problem is upstairs because I occasionally get a good score at night. Bill in MI

11. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I love shooting under the lights. Where I live we don't get to shoot under the lights until the time changes which also means temps are starting to drop :) I'm getting sick of sweating every time we shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.