1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've been shooting for just about a bit over a month now and can't seem to break the 23-24 rut I'm in. I can shoot plenty of 24s (a few a week) and I shoot about 1 25 a week. ( I shoot 10 rounds of trap per week on average). When I miss it it usually because I pull the trigger a bit too soon and I usually end up shooting behind or under the bird due to that. Any ideas as to what I can do to help bring my shooting up to the next level?

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

shoot more, after a month, or 40 rounds, you are really still a beginner...

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy a new gun. Find one that you shoot a lot of 25s with and buy it. HMB

4. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Have a VERY experienced shooter watch you and make ONE suggestion for you to work on. Then when you have resolved/perfected that problem, ask him to watch again. The mistake too many instructors give new shooters is that they try to get them to do too many things at once, instead of correcting the worst problem first. AJ

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Buy a new gun. Find one that you shoot a lot of 25s with and buy it. HMB

Don't tempt me,this sport is addicting enough as it is. I'm thinking of picking up a Perazzi or Kolar this spring or summer though. But the Citori Plus I have right now is pretty sweet.

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sounds like you're about ready to give lessons.

Ed Yanchok

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

You need to change your shot size. If you're shooting 7 1/2's, change to 8's. If you're shooting 8's, change to 7 1/2's. Given the amount of discussion about this, it MUST be the deciding factor in taking your shooting to the "next" level.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rich219- Do not try to break a 24 or a 25. Just do the best you can to break the next bird. If you break it, smile. After you have learned how to do that, would you please teach me how?

Pat Ireland

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Sometimes it takes years for a new shooter to break 25, unless he seeks instruction and gun fit expertise. The way it works is to concentrate on breaking one bird at a time.

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I heard those Citori Plus guns are cursed. A Scotish oldtimer told me that he had one and all he shot was 24's with it. He sold it and it did the same thing to the new owner. I think the both burned it at the stake. Anyway I owned one for years. Shot many a 25 with her but mostly 23's & 24's. One tourny I had nine 24's straight. Maybe Browning made a bunch of these guns with the recycled metal from that haunted car Christine. Dave T.

11. JD45

JD45 Member

I am relatively new to registered trap, starting my third season. You can consider yourself totally normal, or better than average, from what I've seen.

Lots of 24's means an A-average. And from what I have learned, an above A-average does not come easy. Some of us can post a 98 or higher in singles in good weather, or maybe at a familiar club, once in a while. But the big dogs can do even better, anywhere, in any weather.

A great gun that is properly fit is the best way to get there. However, mine is less than perfect and I'm seeing other things causing misses too. Not seeing the target normally has to be number one. The mental part of the game is possibly a close second. Working on those two things could buy you one or two targets per hundred. I know that Phil Kiner's video has really helped my shooting, and I would like to take a class also.

Other than the above, match experience at different clubs should help you increase your average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.