1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems going from 0.729 to 0.740?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JJJ, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I don't think this will make much of a difference,if any. However, I thought
    I would ask the experts. Will going from a 0.729 to a 0.740 bore have any effect as to the wad sealing the gasses? In other words, I believe you would
    use the exact reload that you have been using.
    It's amazinbg what you can think of on a cold winter night. If nothing else, this certainly will add to my bag of excuses.
    Thanks,
    JJJ

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The .729 bore is a Perazzi bore, .740 is the bore of Ljutics and other fine guns, I believe Perazzi has to stay with the guidelines set up by Italy for testing stds. Most guns now use the .740 bore as Std. Kolar ha come out with a .750 Bore, I owned both and could not tell a difference, I am now shooting a Kolar T/S with .740 Bore, I am extremely satisfied with it. I have not seen cold weather problems with either bore sizes. I think you will find that most Itialian guns have .729 Bores I was told it has to do with Proof Marks.

.740 Bore guns seem to recoil less and provide better patterns, shorter shot strings, Neil Winston would be a better person to ask this as he has done some testing in this area.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Though the pattern thing is still unproven (or seems to be no different, so far) and the shot-string part never will be, Gary is right when he cites so many fine guns with 0.740 bores which have no particular troubles.

My Bowen is 0.740 and does it have over-bore problems? Yes, in the single case of shooting heavy AA's. Depending on the era of manufacture - three years ago was particularly bad - I get off-sounding loads, sometimes a lot of them. Other overbored guns have no trouble with the same shells, other standard-bore guns as well. So you may have to do a bit of picking and choosing, but you will probably won't have to change a thing.

Neil

4. Dr.Longshot

Perazzi BIg Bore were you using steel rim shells?

5. Dr.Longshot

My Ljutic had big problems with new Rio Shells.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gary, A good friend of mine shoots a NCP type Mach one and had the same problems with the hulls sticking in the chamber. He sent back to NCP and had them bore out a few thouands out of the chamber just where the brass or (steel) part of the hull is at the end, and he now longer has any problems with the Rio's or some of the other shells sticking in his gun.Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I'd have to say that on a rare to unheard of situation where brittle/old wads were used, would be the only time you would have problems with a .740 bore.

8. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

I have a set of perazzi factory 18.8 (.740) barrels. no problems whatsoever.
    Dan

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

Hey Neil have you seen the slow motion footage on Phil Kiners new video of the shot string? Pretty cool!

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've measured a bunch of Brownings. Most come in around .7435. I never heard of any issues!!

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Most of the trap guns that I've owned for the last few years have been .736-.742. I've had zero issue with wad sealing. Hot or cold, straight hull vs. tapered, no issues what so ever.

ec90t

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jimmy, I'll probably see Mike at the Shot Show; I'll ask him. Thanks for the tip.

Neil

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

By using ChamberMate inserts, I have shot about 400 rounds of 20 gauge shells through my .740" bore Browning XT barrels without a single problem. If a 20 gauge wad will seal a .740" bore, I wouldn't think that a 12 gauge wad would have any trouble doing so unless it was defective in some way.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Guys.

You're talking about 0.011 inches.

The diameter of a hair is about 0.003 or 0.004 inches.

0.011 inches is the thickness of 3 or 4 hairs.

That ain't much and I can't believe it would make a lot of difference to a wad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.