1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

problem with shooting low

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SonoraMike, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

my new 1100 trap seems to be shooting low, need to put a few more boxes through it to really be sure its the gun and not the gunner -- but I figured this problem has been covered here before. Yet search isn't turning anything up. Hoping someone can post some links to previous discussions on this topic to help me get a handle on the direction I need to go. Thanks

2. BBob

BBob TS Member

If you do not have an adjustable comb on it, just tape a piece of cardboard on the comb to raise your eye a little. Keep adding until it shoots where you like it and then go with something permanent to put on the comb. Break em all. Bill

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use moleskin to increase the height of the comb. Verify POI at the patterning board. HMB

4. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

thanks all. no adjustable comb but that'll get me in the ballpark. hoping to pattern the gun tomorrow

Shot an 1100 owned by the local club a few weeks back that shot 12-16" high, had to aim one "dinner plate" below to hit the clay.

5. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Make sure you are looking at the top of the target, not the bottom or just at the target.

On the angles , look at the top leading edge. See if that makes a difference.

Also how quickly or slowly you get to the target will make a difference in how high you need your gun to shoot.

You probly will need to build up the comb as others have suggested.

ed

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

ed- I wish I were good enough to focus only on the top or leading edge of a target. The top shooters can do that, but I can't without lifting my head.

I have thought about putting a quarter size paint dots of different colors in the center of some targets and see if I could recognize the color before I shot. Might make a good exercise. I have the targets, I have some paint and a paint brush, but I don't have the time. I am too busy getting ready for the North Carolina State Shoot next week.

Pat Ireland

7. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Pat,

I wish I could always focus on the top or leading edge like the big boys.

When I can make it happen it works for me.

When I started shooting trap I followed Lucky McDaniels method of instinct shooting.

He taught looking at the top of the target and the leading edge.

When I was younger, I had the vision and reflexes to make it work.

At 68 I seem to move a bit slower to the target.

ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.