1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Perazzi opening after shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TMX BOB, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

I was at the club shooting yesterday evening (TMX)and I was having problems opening my gun after each shot. It's been doing that for the past few week. I took it apart and soaked the receiver in mineral sprits and scrubbed it over the weekend. I did notice a few primers with the back off over the course of a few weeks. This causes the gun not to want to close until the back of the primer is removed from behind the ejectors. I shoot ATA legal 1 oz reloads.It appears that the firing pin protrudes after the gun has been shot. Could this be a trigger/hammer issue or firing pin? I did scrub the firing pin hole well and lubed it prior to reassembly of the gun. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Bob Collins

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If the cap on the primer is coming off, you may have a headspace problem. There shouldn't be any room for it to travel if it's tight to the receiver's breech face.

I would also check the firing pin to see if it has begun to seperate. Perazzi firing pins are made from two different pieces. There is the main body of the firing pin and there is also a seperate "pin". This is the part that hits the primer. The "pin" becomes loose in the main body and will float around (slip in & out) and can cause problems.

Doug

3. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

Gun Dr., if I understand you post should I try changing the firing pin and return spring?

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

No.. you should be boxing up the receiver and barrel and shipping it off to Doug..if its not a bad firing pin.. Also.. do not grease/lube the firing pin.. use a dry graphite.. grease and oil attract and hold grit and dirt.. I commend you for properly cleaning your firearm.. It will live alot longer properly maintained.. As Doug said.. it can easily be a headspace problem..which need a good looking after.. I reccomend to everyone..Every year or two.. have a professional go thru your Perazzi..especially an older one.. Unmaintained.. tiny problems can easily turn into huge ones..

5. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Before shipping off to anyone would check the firing pin
    and return spring as suggested by Doug. Had a firing pin
    come loose as he described and was causing ftf. If loose
    could also cause problems with opening.

Doyal Duncan

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you need to replace the firing pin return spring. We just replaced my father inlaws in his TM-1. When you replace the return spring you have to replace the hammer spring also. The two springs work against each other. So, if you put a new return spring in you may start to end up with light hits on the primer, because your hammer spring is to weak to push against the new return spring. We also replaced the lever spring. The gun works like new. Jon

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Doyal.. I agree.. I posted before I finished.. When you have the firing pin in your hand.. take a small pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull the front of the pin while holding the back... Also.. look at the back and see that the back of the pin is not severely worn.. Also.. with firing pin installed.. see that it moves freely in and out.. Push the pin by hand all the way in.. and see that it's not sticking.. and that the firing pin hole is not to wobbled out to where it often can "catch" a good pin.. Also see that the face is not concave where the back of the primer can "catch" in the bolt face with everything else being OK.. A simple repair to the boltface/firing pin hole can save a top lever.. amongst other problems.. Like every thing in a Perazzi.. it can be a host of tiny problems make a big one down the road.. As money is getting tighter and tighter..it's false economy to not have a professional go thru your gun occasionally.. You save money and headaches in the future by simple adjustments/maintainence today.. All Good.. Mike

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

My TMX was opening by itself after firing AA hdcps. Now at Phillips for o'haul!

9. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

Thank you all for your recommendations, I will replace the firing pin and return spring to see if there is any change. I will also clean the grease out off the firing pin hole as suggested by PBB. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll be sending it off to someone such as Mr. Braker.

Thanks again, Bob Collins

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Bob.. be sure to check that the pin isn't sticking.. or getting a burr around the front of the pin.. making it stick.. When you close the gun.. can you see light between the barrel and the bolt face??? That would be headspace...

11. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

Will do PBB, Thanks Bob

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Change the spring in the top lever. Its getting weak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.