1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with new Beretta 391 20 guage? Fixed!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 391 shooter, Sep 8, 2013.

1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have a new Beretta 391 20 Ga. Urika2 that will not cycle correctly or set the breech bolt correctly.

First shots brand new, using 1 OZ #8 dove loads, fired first 2 shots bang bang, then would not shoot first in chamber some times and never the second chambered shot. It is feeding the second shot just fine, but will not fire the second shot. I think because not closed completely. After looking at all the known areas to look the following is what I found.

Upon inspection the gas cylinder is binding on the magazine tube shaft.

I tried the gas cylinder off one of my 12 ga. Urika 2 models on the 20 ga. (same cylinder on both) and it also binds on the magazine tube of the 20 ga.

However if I take the gas cylinder off the 20 ga. it fits ok on my 12 ga.

The gas cylinder of the 20 ga. has a lot of play (wobble) when it is installed, tight on the magazine tube but lot of movement in the mechanism, the cylinder on the 12 ga. (with a gagillion rounds through it) there is very little movement?

Any ideas, short of sending to Beretta, and I really would rather not go through that if possible?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Call Beretta and ask them, they made the gun and should answer your questions................

Surfer

3. Snooky

Snooky Member

I had the same problem with a 12 gauge 391. Fortunately it was a play day and I had two with me so I changed parts one by one until I found the problem Just like yours the piston was binding on the shaft. I took a piece of fine emery cloth and polished the shaft down and have never had a problem since. Hope this helps.

Snooky

4. 391 shooter

Thanks Snooky, I will try that and see.

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i spent a bit of time with my 12 gauge 391 and 303 and a buffing/polishing wheel. I used a soft wheel and white rouge. I polished the front rod that the piston slides on, and all the parts that slide inside. As much stuff that i could find that slides on something else. works great and no problems. also keep a bit of lube--pb blaster, tri flo or something on the sliding parts. I even took the trigger apart and polished the sliding parts. The factory says run it dry and I always put a small amount of lube on all the sliding parts and it seems to work fine. motordoc

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A Sporting Clays shooters wife had similar problems with a 391 20 ga.

Would only cycle heavy loads consistently.

They opened up the gas ports a very slight amount, cured the problem for lighter loads.

Just a thought.

Regards....Gerald

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

You said you have a "new" twenty gauge Beretta which is covered by their warranty assuming you're the origanal owner, if you make any modifactions polishing sanding you void their warranty which meand you're SOL if you have other problems downstream.

Problems: The first call is to the manufacturer, always.

Surfer

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The 20ga 391's are finicky about what brand of ammo you use. Try another brand and be sure to shoot the gun "wet" with Breakfree CLP. Also, that play between the cylinder and the piston is normal.

Jb

9. 391 shooter

Solved the issue.

Buffed the magazine tube shaft on a buffing wheel and all is well.

Shot a round of sporting with it, worked great.

Thanks for all the feedback.

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

ps: never oil that stem- carbon seems to stick more! it shud be dry!!