1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

problem with lefts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by James.c, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James.c

James.c Member

hi all. i've got a problem that im wondering if one of you guys could help with. i've been shooting for about a year and a half now and was doing pretty well till just a while ago but now im having a lot of trouble hitting left hand birds. i think what im doing is, pulling the trigger long before i get to the bird then whiping the gun through and trying to get the right follow through. i've tried slowing down but its not helping. now im starting to speed up on other birds to and im afraid i might start having the same problem. anyone got any ideas? thanks

James.C

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

You aren't seeing the target properly or your gun isn't hitting where you're looking.

Have you patterned your gun recently? Like in the last week? If not, do it.

Change your gun hold point and/or your eye hold point. Make sure your eye hold point is out where you can pick up the target as a solid object, not a streak.

Make sure your gun hold point is sufficiently high or low enough to facilitate a proper eye hold point.

3. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I may be the world authority on missing lefts, I have done it for years. Seems I did not have an idea in the world what I was doing. However, after 15 years, I think I have got the problem under better control.

1. I hold just above the left corner.

2. I hold the gun pretty firm with both hands.

3. I make sure that I don't arm shoot the target now, turning the body ( upper body) to the target.

4. I try to make sure my head is glued on the stock while all of the above is happening.

If this fails to correct the problem, call Nora Ross, she can help.

Charlie

4. James.c

James.c Member

does nora focus on problems like these because im taking a course with leo in less than a week. and how what is cross firing and how do i know that im doing it?

5. glenns

glenns Member

Are you anticipating the hard lefts and then shooting too quick?

Make sure you don't move the gun until the bird leaves the house. You do have quite a bit of time to catch up to the bird and get the 'sight picture' before pulling the trigger.

Try this: (1) call pull; (2) say 'one'; (3) move to the bird; (4) get sight picture; (5) pull trigger.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

My best guess is your head is leaving the stock. Your confidence is gone on the far lefts, so you panic and move the head before the gun starts moving. Then when the lead looks correct you pull the trigger, but the lead is different because your head is in a different position, to the gun. Then you follow through with the gun, and catch up with your cheek. Concentrate on the target, follow through with the swing, and keep that cheek pushed on the gun. Also, like stated above, move the gun with the upper body rotation only from the waist. No arm movment. Eliminates snap shooting, and gives a nice smooth swing, and follow through. Now, if you are saying to yourself before you call pull, don't go sraight left, or when the bird comes out left do you say to yourself, SOB, you little %$#^$, or something of this nature, you are thinking and not concentrating. Then it is your mind that needs to be fixed 99% of the time.

7. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

You were doing well until just a little while ago...what changed? One of the things which helped me is to shoot 4 - 10 boxes just on station 1. Do this for a couple of weeks, if necessary. As others have pointed out, much of this game is mental and you can get in a negative feedback loop. You start missing the hard lefts, which causes you to dread getting the hard lefts, you panic when they come and shoot even worse, which causes even more anxiety, etc. You used to do well, so you can shoot those lefts. Rewind back to the fundamentals -- turn at the waist -- don't arm shoot, keep your head on the stock, follow through, -- look forward to the hard lefts because it'll be additional practice, and just sit on station 1 until you feel that confidence returning. Then you'll start dropping birds on 5 <grin>.

8. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

One thing that gets overlooked is foot position especially if your foot position is too far right. This is especially true of the left foot if you are a right hand shooter. Many times just moving the left toe only to the left 2" solves the problem.

When taking up the wrong foot position you swing to the left and your mind says you are on track take the shot but your body gets caught up at the end of the swing and slows the swing and you miss.

Try this: before you shoot on any post swing the gun to the left and see how far you can swing without lifting either heel. Make sure you can swing far enough. If you can't move far enough to the left then change your foot position till you can.

Michael Stephenson

AA-26.5-AA

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I am experiencing the same thing right now. Left angles appear to be coming out of the side of the trap house yet I've stood on the post five 27 yard line and watched targets from that same trap - none were even a full straightaway. The last time I shot, I had a 93 and six of the seven I missed were left angles from posts one and two and five of the six were lefts from one. So I plan to address the problem as I did many years ago when I seemingly went blind on rights.

I shot 25 targets from post five. I wanted to be surprised by the rights instead of knowing where the targets were going to be so I left the trap oscillate. Fifteen minutes later, I had figured out what I had been doing wrong and rights weren't a problem any longer.

Of course, another target was but that's trapshooting.

Ed

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As a certified cross-firer, the only thing I can add to MK's post is that you also probably want to block the offending eye's view of the gun. You want to remove that eye from the shooting process altogether.

One way to determine of you are cross-dominant is if you can ever recall seeing the left (if you're right-handed) side of the barrel after the gun goes off. I've shot with tape for years and Phil has added more tape to my left lens but now and then, I rememebered seeing the side of the barrel so I've quit fighting city hall and have gone back to closing my left eye.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.