1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with hard rights at 5

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I am in a rut with hard rights at 5.

Shot 300 singles last weekend at the Delaware State shoot. I dropped 15 birds, all at 5 and all hard rights. it was comical and my squad felt bad for me as the other 95 targets were inked except for those 15 and i was way, way, way off them.

I am so psyched out is one thing but the other is I think I am cross firing the damned target, my head is out of the gun and I can see it going to pot as I pull the trigger.

I tried holding way off the house but I ended up spot shooting it. Sometimes i hit but most I shot behind it. Then i closed my left eye but that was an abortion too.

I then hooked up with a really good shooter Friday night after the event and we worked on holding back at the house and tracking it. i still must be crossfiring. I always have some tape on my left eye but as the target flies I can see my left eye take over and I shoot way behind it.

My next thing is to open the trap house on Thursday night and shoot a 100 targets at 5 and locking the trap at hard rights.

I guess my question is where is your "window" when calling at #5. Maybe I am looking too far over the trap and it flies under my sight then because I see it so late I just move my eyes and not my body.

hard right targets at 5 are just rockets for some reason nowadays and i can't figure it out.

Anyway... i am all screwed up and am looking for answers.

Thanks!!

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I've had my problems there too, but on handicap. I found that if I hold a lower gun so I can see the bird exit the house it sure helps. Don't rush it. You have plenty of time. If your having left eye dominance problems, you have to completely blot that eye out or shoot left handed. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Big Al, not sure what the good shooter did for you but what I would try is reducing length of stock, sometimes if stock is to long for right handed shooter it will cause "short shooting" of this target. It shouldn't take much, maybe 1/8" will suffice.

Bring hold point down to roof of traphouse and also in one foot instead of out. It sounds as though you are not seeing the targets intial flight and thats why it is appearing to be moving faster.

Finally, close the left eye completely. With prescribed angles and distance as in trapshooting, depth_perception is not as critical as other shooting venues.

The above recommendations should be taken with the knowledge that I really know nothing thus liability is waved :-}

4. southpark

southpark TS Member

Go to club.

Have them lock the trap to throw only hard rights.

Stand on post five.

Have a flat of shells with you, maybe two.

Start shooting.

When you break one, repeat what you did before.

Repeat through whole flat and maybe second.

Doing this will program your brain and eyes to know what it looks like when you are on the bird to properly break hard rights from post five.

I realize it sounds like a pain in the backside and not a quick fix, but I am fairly confident it will work unless you have a cross-dominance problem with your eyes.

5. DanR

DanR TS Member

I have had similar problems. Mine were caused by pulling the gun away from my face as I swung to the right. The solution was to set up with my body lined up right at the impact point. Then when I mounted my gun, I was coiled or twisted to the left to hold over the right corner of the trap house. So when I turned to the right, my face was staying on the gun. My scores are still lower than what I like, but my misses are not concentrated on hard right crossers on 4 and 5.

I suggest that you try that and see if it helps.

If not, here's another thing to try. Make sure that your eyes are over your barrel.

- Dan R.

P.S. I kno

6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Yep... That is my plan for Thursday night. Luckly I am the range officer on duty that night and I have the keys to the place. I plan on opening up early and shooting atleast 100 at post five.

I know i have a cross dominence problem and the tape has worked for the last 2 years.

Somehow I got into a funk. hard right at 5 was never a problem until a few weeks ago. i think its more in my head or a sight picture problem than the eye thing. Unless the problem has gotten worse. Maybe a bigger piece of tape to blot more out will help.

we'll see...

7. southpark

southpark TS Member

DanR also has a good point.

Make sure you are moving to the target with your upper body as one piece in motion together.

If you have in your mind you are always behind the targets going hard right from five, you may be pushing, with your forend hand, the barrel towards the target because that can move the barrel quicker. But it also moves your rear sight, your eye, out of position so that you miss.

Keep at it, and just program your eye and brain through repitition.

Also consider getting a Uni-Dot and learn to use it right. It helped with my cross dominance problem. It will ruin you though, if you focus on the glowing dot rather than the target.

Ideally, you will focus on the target and your subconcious and peripheral vision will see it connect with the break point and pull the trigger.

Cheers

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

If you are a right hand shooter, turn your lead foot [left foot] to the right. Maybe even a 45 degree angle. You want your body turned to the right. Exagerate the stance at first. This stance will allow your body to swing further to the right AND keep your gun into your shoulder. Practice at least 100 birds with this more "closed" stance... your hips have to follow your feet. Good luck. Fred

9. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Like above, and I stand duck footed, I make sure my back and knees don`t lock up when I twist to the right. I hold a level gun verically straight up from the outside edge of house,I look over the barrel a little to the right. Quiet eye as on all posts. I try to remember, all birds are going to the right, I have plenty of time to reach them. I now like to start on five. And remember, once you master post five rights... a leak will appear somewhere else!!! Oh, perfidy!!

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

One other thing to check, and I'm guilty of this on that hard right from post 5.

Make sure you aren't rolling your shoulder over, because it will feel and look like you are going after the bird, but you will shoot under every time. Go up into the bird, do not roll your shoulder to get it.

Hauxfan!

11. silverBB

silverBB TS Member

Al: I had the same problem on station 1, on hard left flying birds.........I however am a left hand shooter and I find that on this station only, my eyes see two barrels with the very prominent "ghost" leading the true one. Talking with other shooters I find that the opposite is true (some to a great degree, some less) for right hand shooters on station five with hard right flying birds. What seems to happen is that the ghost is so pronounced on that station and leads the true barrel by so much that the mind says to shoot when it (the ghost) is on target, and of course it's a lost bird. I went to an EZ-HIT sight...the smallest they make. Peripherally I now still see two barrels, however I can see that little green dot just enough and only with the eye aligned with the barrel, and when it's on target, I'm on target. It really helped me as I was dropping three or four birds frequently from station one, not anymore. Mike

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If your club has skeet facilities, learn the game. After you know how to break High 4, a station 5 right is a piece of cake.

This is not to make light of your problem, I am serious. I started skeet shooting about 5 years after I began trap, and the improvement on my angle shooting was dramatic.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.