1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Gandermountain

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by deadpair51, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

Shopped on line this morning at Gandermountain.com . There was an item that I wanted and it was showing it was on sale for $5.99 . So at that price I ordered 4 ,regular price is $9.99 . After check out I realized they charged me $9.99 .Long story short I ended up cancelling my whole order since they would not make good on the sale price. They claimed it was a glitch . High tech bait and switch is more likely. I am disappointed in them cause I really liked Gander Mtn.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Deadapair, sorry to hear of the scam they tried to run on you, but I am wondering just what you like more about Gander Mountain over the likes of say Dicks, or Bass Pro Shops??? I find them all about the same for general misc. and none of them any good for buying reloading supplies. A penny for your thoughts as I'm interested. BReak-em all. Jeff

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

deadpair51

It's just as bad in the stores. 2/3 of the items will not ring up for what they are marked on the shelf. I'll give you a hint, they ring up for more than what's marked. You have to watch and drag a manager out to the shelf for each item. They may or may not give it to you. I won't shop there anymore.

4. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I just like Gandermountain, I have gotten some great deals in the past with them . I also shop at Dicks but Gander has a better web operation or at least I thought so until this morning. Gander also has some nice private label goods , I was buying 2 gun cases this morning but I cancelled them as well. Just not happy with the way it was handled.....

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Another reason to try your local mom and pop stores. Most can't afford the barcode/electronic stuff and the price is put on with a sticker and the sale rung up on a real cash register. We even count out the change (and it is not "calculated" on the register.) (Unlike the big stores and fast food chains where the "server" says, "here you go", and hands you a pile of change and bills.

Normally, even when the customer is a jerk, we say "thanks, please come again".

We're going to get a Bass Pro a mile away. Looking forward to it. Our business will go up.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a local guy and I kind of like him. He really has very little of what I need. A couple of times I wanted something basic ordered. When it was time to pay, it was like 10 percent above retail plus shipping. It was like he called Gander mountain and had it UPS shipped to him. Now I learned to ask for a price first.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Gander Mountain in our town stinks like a manure pile. they have all the reloading stuff priced through the roof, like they really don't want you to buy it but it gets you in there to buy the clothing.

A Mec bar ($11.00 at the local sporting goods place) is 19 dollars.

17 dollar bullets are 23 bucks, and it's all like that.

If you have a good store I'm happy for you. Ours stinks.

HM

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have a nickname for Gander Mtn. "Beyond Retail" I avoid going there at all costs.

GS

9. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I went in there a week or so ago which happened to be on Veterans day. I went in there to grab some detergent and gloves. I see the sign that says 10% off anything in store, 40% off boots, and 5% off firearms.

I grab my two items and ask the young cashier to give me the 10% discount for being a veteran. She then states that she was told she needs an i.d. card or 'papers.' So I see the manager is not too far off and I asked to speak with him for a moment. There was no one in line behind me and I thought "Hey, if I can save 10% that will more than offset the 7% sales tax we have to deal with...

The manager comes over and as he is next to me says to someone else, "Hang on, I have to DEAL with a customer." He then looks at the cashier and says what is the problem?

I then stated that I did not know about the veteran day’s sale and did not have an i.d. card as I did not retire but serve a mere 4 years. I then said will you take my word and knock off the 10%?

The manager looked me square in the eyes and said I will take your word when you bring in some discharge papers...

I bit my lip and left. The total was about $21.00 and change in items; I went to Meijer and got out of there for about $16.00. A couple bucks, sure, but it was the principle, it just rubbed me the wrong way and as far as I am concerned Gander Mountain can suck me.

I know there are people who probably lie about having served, etc, but seriously, I had $21.00 of two over priced items sitting on the counter and the guy wouldn't knock off 10%?

Again, rubbed me the wrong way, no more clothes or firearms from these guys, it is still worth my 3 hour drive to Cabelas...

10. Mark Metcalfe

Mark Metcalfe TS Member

Hi All - I am responsible for Gander's web and catalog sales and just saw this thread. We know that serving our loyal customers is our number one priority, and we work hard to provide you with great value and excellent service. If we've let you down I want you to know that we are sincerely very sorry. In regards to the initial posting (from deadpair51) about the change in an item's pricing during a particular web visit, I don't understand how that could ever happen. However, if you will provide me with the item number (and ideally the time of day that you were on the site) I am happy to investigate and respond with any findings.
    I hope that all of you have a great Thanksgiving!!
    Regards
    Mark Metcalfe

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Mark, it was nice of you to post here. I, too, avoid Gander Mountain if I at all can. I've experienced the same pricing concerns - one price on the shelf, another at the register. I've even had it work in my favor. Perhaps two years ago, I purchased a 250-count box of 50-grain .224" Hornady V-Max bullets and the item rang up as a 100-count box. I pointed the error out to the cashier and she said something to effect that it wasn't her money so don't worry about it.

I've shopped at the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania store.

Ed

12. halfmile

If you really gave a shit about the customers you wouldn't sell a box of 100 30 caliber bullets for $39.95.

People are wising up, the word is out at my club for sure. Just because Sportsmen's Warehouse left town is no reason to gouge people.

HM

13. kenf

kenf Active Member

I remember just a few years ago when the GM stores first started to open up in the Western PA area, they had a wide selection, competitive prices, and occasionally good sales. Several of the stores would send $10 Gander Bucks cards to the local clubs for prizes and membership drives.

Since 2005-2006, the prices are MSRP+, sales will get you to about retail price, and the attitudes of most employees is that you should be so lucky to be in our wannabe Cabelas; not that Cabelas is that much better.

I'd be interested to hear Mr. Metcalfe's take on this.

14. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I don't even bother stopping in any Gander Mountain stores anymore. Ridiculous prices and employees that don't have a clue in the gun department.

DoubleAuto

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Here in Michigan you can get more that the item price, if the scanned price is more than the item is marked. I caught all kinds of hell here, for shells marked lower than the scanned price and all I did was use the law to rectify the problem. Humm... wonder why they made the law if we shouldn't use it?

Here is the MI pricing law. http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-34739_20942-134114--,00.html It's also above.

BTW Gander Mt. is over priced on alot of things, sometimes you can find a deal on guns though.

Jerbear

16. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

Once observed a female clerk in the gun dept hand an o/u to a shopper who handed it back to her and asked her to open the o/u ... the poor kid didn't know how to
    open the shotgun .....not her fault ....poor training by management .

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Two years ago at the Southern Grand I failed to recognize that 200 singles required 8 boxes of shells, not 4. I stopped by a well known discount store to get 4 more boxes of AA shells. A nice young lady passed the four boxes over the scanner. Two rang up at one price and the other two were priced a little higher. I pointed this out and suggested that all of them should be the same price. She was confused and called the manager. He agreed with me that all should be the same price so he rang up all four boxes at the higher price. I paid, left the store and realized that I had made yet another mistake in life.

Pat Ireland

18. halfmile

I don't know if Gander Mountain has evolved yet. Some years ago they sold their catalog biz because they got over extnded with new store construction and had a cash flow problem I believe Cabela's bought it.

At this point maybe Mr. Metcalfe can enlighten us. It may be that there are separate unconnected divisions, or yet they could be all the same organization.

At any rate, Baiting sportsmen into their retail facilities in order to sell high priced clothing is a cheap tactic and will only work on the dumbest of consumers.

19. shrek

shrek Active Member

The way I understand it is Cabelas did not buy it, the whole kit and caboodle was bought by Holiday gas station company, and or their parent company, headquartered in the twin cities area, the catalog business as we knew it was dropped and the emphasis was placed on the retail stores.

some of you probably remember when the Holiday stores handled guns, ammo fishing stuff etc. I do from the end of when they did that.

I concur with the majority of the posters above that Gander had gotten out of line in the way they behave. I rarely go there, will inspect the used guns to see if they screwed up pricing one to the buyers advantage, and once in a great while they do.

Bad part is that Cabelas and Scheels are about as bad. I don't have a Bass Pro or any of the others around to know how they behave.

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I dislike Gander Mountain as well as Cabelas. I find both of these stores to be very over priced where they actually gouge the customer. The majority, not all, of their employees in their gun departments lack knowledge and experience. I find the majority of their people that are in charge to be rude.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.