1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with fit of a Remington 1100 LT-20 Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by benniesdad, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I recently aquired a 23 inch barrel that came from a 20 gauge Remington 1100 LT-20 Special Field. When I tried to put it on my regular 1980’s 1100 LT-20 receiver, the barrel seemed to fit fine and I was able to put on the forearm like normal, but the trigger will not fire. When I pull the trigger, I am able to pull it but it feels spongy/springy and never trips the sear. If I loosen the forearm and allow the barrel to go forward, it will eventually allow the trigger to trip. I have checked and the extractor fits in the slot and the bolt seems to lock up OK. I have also tried another forearm.

I have had a number of different barrels on this gun over the years which is why this really surprises me. Although I have never owned a Special Field, I know from reading that you can put a regular barrel on an 1100 Special Field receiver so I am assuming it should work the other direction. Any ideas on what the problem could be or what I need to do to get it to work?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Interested in the answer also

Does barrel bottom out- in other words - are sure it is in full engagement?

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

On the top of the bolt is a locking lug which fits in a slot on the barrel. As the bolt goes forward the lug rises up into the slot. It probably needs to be fitted so it doesn't hang up. If the lug isn't engaging the slot properly then the bolt isn't locked when closed. If this happens the trigger will not function.

You can check this by closing the bolt and inserting a dowel down the barrel and pushing on the bolt face. If the bolt opens then you know the lug is not seated properly. HMB

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

hmb, good answer. Kudos to you. I never had the problem but the possibility is there. This could also happebn if the barrel was not quite firmly seated.

HM

5. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

It definitely seats completely and locks up. I checked it as hmb suggested and the bolt is definitely locked. I am wondering if it is possible that something is pushing against that part of the trigger that sticks to the front. I think it is the disconnector on the parts diagram. With the trigger assembly out the the gun, when I push this part down, the trigger has the same spongy feel that it does when it will not work with the new barrel. Is it possible that could be it? Can I do anything to adjust the disconnector without messing it up that it will not work with the original barrel?

6. g7777777

hmb- interesting solution about checking if bolt is really locked or not

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

It is my understanding that Special Field barrels are not interchangeable with standard LT-20 receivers. The fore ends on SF's are 1" shorter than the standard fore ends. I don't have one to do a direct comparison, but I am pretty sure the gas cylinder (barrel hanger) on a SF barrel is located 1" closer to the chamber. W

Michael Goines

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest that you check the extractor to see if it was keeping the bolt from going completely into battery--but the differences in the barrels surprised me. Good to learn something new about 1100's.

Kip

9. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I am not sure that is correct about Special Field barrels being different on 1100's. I think the difference in the placement of the gas cylinder was different on 870 Special Field barrels and regular 870 barrels but not 1100's. Sure do wish I could find someone with both that could try it. I found posting on the Internet where people said they were able to take regular long 1100 field barrels and use them on Special Field receivers, but have not been able to find anything that said someone went the other direction like I am trying to do.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I don't know if this helps, it's from TJGeneral.....Wayne

IF YOUR MODEL 1100 OR 870 20 GAUGE HAS A SERIAL NUMBER ENDING IN THE LETTER “X” OR “N”, CURRENTLY PRODUCED 20 GAUGE BARRELS WILL NOT INTERCHANGE. IF YOUR SERIAL NUMBER ENDS IN THE LETTER “K”, PLEASE CALL OUR CONSUMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT AT 1-800-243-9700 FOR ASSISTANCE WITH BARREL OPTIONS.

11. mag410

mag410 Active Member

It looks like my "understanding" was incorrect. I learned a long time ago to never say "never" as someone is bound to come along and prove you wrong.

I sell stocks on ebay and sometimes get inquiries from people looking for SF fore ends. Since the barrel hangers are in the same position, that should mean a standard fore end could be converted to a SF fore end by cutting 1" off the front of the fore end?

Michael Goines

12. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I have no idea about the wood. From Remington website:

What barrels will fit on my Model 1100 Special Field?
    Will all barrels for the Model 1100 fit on the Model 1100 Special Field shotgun?

Any Model 1100 barrel currently produced, within the same gauge, will fit on the Model 1100 Special Field receiver. Unlike the Model 870, the Model 1100 barrel guide ring (gas cylinder) is located in the same location as the standard Model 1100. Thus the shorter magazine tube of the Special Field Model 1100 has no effect on fit.

A list of the extra barrels available are located on our site HERE.

Older 20 gauge receivers and barrels do not interchange with current barrels and receivers. If your 20 gauge serial number ends in an "X" or a "N", current lightweight barrels may not interchange with your receiver, to double check this prior to ordering, please call us with your serial number at 1-800-243-9700.

13. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Although it has been somewhat frustrating, it has been a great learning experience. Spoke to Don Corson from Corson Barrels and just got off the phone with Remington -- there is no reason that it should not work from the standpoint of the Special Field barrels should fit my receiver. As wayneo pointed out beyond what Remington provided online concerning serial numbers ending in "X" or "N", if the serial number ends in "K" it might have issues, but the Remington rep indicated that only applies if the manufacture date is prior to 1977 which does not apply to my gun.

Bottom line - there is some sort of issue with this particular barrel and my receiver that simply do not allow them to work together. At least now I have confirmed that it should work, but still don't have a clue why it does not.

14. g7777777

LT and LW barrels are different barrels- thus the term lightweight might be misleading

Is it an LT or an LW?

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

It is an LT-20, not LW.

16. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have two barrels that I use on my Special Field 1100 LT20. They both measure 12.5" from the aft end of the barrel extension forward to the front edge of the gas cylinder/barrel hanger. Do not have another 1100 20 ga. to compare them too. Swapping trigger assemblys would help.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 870 Special Field has its barrel hanger moved back. The 1100 Special Field does not. The "barrel hanger" (properly called the gas chamber) is in the same position as other 1100 barrels.

The LW-20 has a short barrel tang (extension), like an 870 20ga. The LT-20 has a long barrel tang, like other 1100s.

-----

As for not firing, are you absolutely sure the hammer is immobile and not moving when the sear is tripped? See if you can observe hammer movement by looking in through the side with a bright light.

If the hammer is indeed moving...

The locking lug has to be past the 85% vertical engagement point in order for the firing pin to become free enough so the hammer will drive it into the primer. The bolt may be locked up at a point less than this, which gives the appearance that the engagement is OK.

Also, the slide block being out of spec may not force the locking lug up far enough.

If this is the case, the problem could be improper the locking shoulder in the barrel being out of spec. It's also possible that the bolt and locking lug are also out of spec, but happen to work with your other barrels. A gunsmith will need to check this.

18. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Brian - the hammer is definitely not moving. The problem is most likely with the barrel itself being slightly out of spec in some way where it appears to be locked but probably isn't. I bought this particular receiver as a new gun in 1982 back when you had to change barrels to change chokes. As I result I have had four different barrels on this gun previously. I spoke with a local gunsmith who is going to work on it for me.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Wrong Bbl on Wrong Gun, LT and LW won't interchange that is why the sold it, it would not work on his gun either.

GB
    DLS

20. g7777777

Brian that is intersting and sounds right- where did you get the 85 percent? design spec?

Now the obvious question is would HMBs method fail- pushing the dowl down the bore?

It sounded like a lockout problem to me from the beginning where the trigger wouldnt work

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

forearms for rem 1100 lt 20

how to figure out if remington 1100 lt 20 ba

remington 1100 lt 20 gauge barrel fit

remington 1100 lt20 bartel
remington 1100 lt20 specifications
what barrels will work on a remington 1100 lt20

will 20 gauge lt barrel work on 20 gauge standard 20 receiver