1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Firefox

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by k1200ltc509, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Downloaded Firefox at the urging of some friends, and a lot of people on here. Slow to go. IE 9 was slow, and that was one of the reasons for the change. But FF is slow too! Also, not all of the icons appear, just an X in the box. Also photos and videos from thread take a LOOOOONG time to load or won't load at all!

I downloaded MS security essentials also, and that seems to have slowed the computer down. 4gb memory, and 500 gb hard drive. 6 month old Dell laptop.

Any suggestions please? You can PM them to me if you wish also, they get sent to my Iphone. Thanks, Rick Gibbs

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Lotta things going on Rick. You need a tune-up. I was a FF user on my old computer, but did not like it now. the fonts were too small. I began with IE and now have moved to Google Chrome. Chrome seems thebest of the 3 so far.

But you need a tune-up. You have malware, and too many competing anti-virus programs.

Get a malware program to help you clean up. and then get rid of all the duplication.

3. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I will second the nomination for Chrome. It is not encumbered with as many "duties" as the other browsers mentioned.

I also believe that the true cause of the slow down is not browser related at all. You can go to cnet and get numerous free programs to rid yourself of malware and adware. I do not believe that security essentials is slowing you down.

Have you ever done any maintenance to the laptop such as disc frag clean up and the like?

Doc

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I switched to FF because Chrome was slow and IE...anything stinks. As stated above you may have malware, etc., or the first thing I would try would be to renew your IP address. Every now and then my computer seems sluggish and renewing the IP makes it snappy again. What kind of internet service are you using? Cable, DSL, DISH?

By all means try Chrome and if that fixes your problem then you are set. If it doesn't, try renewing the IP addresses.

5. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rick, try Maxthon. Harv

6. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Are all your programs running slow or just your internet experience? As noted above it could just be your internet up/down speed. Do a speed test to check for your download speed. If it's less than 5 Mbps, find a different service. Also what processor is in your Dell? If it's a Celeron single core, your computer is eventually going to run slower because the single core can't handle too many programs/services running at once. Do a Google search for instructions on how to turn off all the unnecessary crap running in the background. Contrary to popular belief, a slow running computer isn't always related to viruses and/or malware.

Oh and BTW, somebody will eventually be along to tell you you're supporting the anti gun movement by running a Dell.

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

I recently took my 2 year oldl iMac into the store for a "tune up". Best $75 I ever spent. Upped the memory while I was at it...

cap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta firefox