1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with fellow shooter regarding purchase

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Hello All- Earlier this week, I was contacted by a fellow TS.com'er, inquiring as to whether i'd be interested in purchasing 14 bags of Lawrence Mag #9 shot (I had purchased a rem 1100 trap stock from this gentleman previously). We agreed on a price for those 14 bags ($18/bag, not the deal of a lifetime, but a worthwhile deal none the less), and had also discussed 7+ additional bags worth of shot (175 lbs) which were the same make, but were in containers, no longer in the original bags, but could not agree on a price. We met the next day, and the transaction proceeded smoothly. The shot was in great shape, and I was very happy with the deal at that point.

I actually ended up selling the 14 original bags to my dad (i don't shoot too much 9s anymore except in the .410, i use 8.5s in the 20ga and 28ga, and 8s in the 12ga for skeet, and he needed shot for the upcoming season), and thought the extra 7+ bags worth of shot would be worth having for myself for practice. I emailed the seller again, and we agreed on a price for the 2nd allotment of shot. I met him the next day, 35 miles from my house this time (the 1st location was about 15 miles from my house).

I received the shot from him, and all went well. I got home, and proceeded to weigh out the shot, so I could put it back in 25 lb bags for easy storage (it came in an 8lb powder container, 4 lb powder container, and a plastic bin). When I tallied everything up, i ended up with 151lb 5oz, 1 bag short. I contacted the seller, requesting a $15 refund for the one bag shortage I ended up with, as the agreed upon price was $105 for 175+ lbs of loose shot (I weighed all the shot on my postal scale, verified as accurate by measuring a factory sealed bag of eagle 8.5s, which came up as 25 lbs 4 oz, so if anything, my scale was underestimating), the seller stated he'd weighed it on his end on a bathroom scale, as an aside, i learned just today the bathroom scale @ my house is off by about 20 lbs, so it would not surprise me at all if his bathroom scale was off by that much).

At this point, the seller refuses to simply reimburse me for the 25 lbs of shot I was shorted (I told him he could simply drop a check for $15 in the mail to me), saying that if I want a refund, I must return all of the shot, and he will give me a complete refund on ALL the shot i've purchased from both allotments (on my time and gas $). I know that I got a good deal on this shot (except for being shorted a bag worth of loose shot), and really don't wish to return it (especially since probably half a bag has been loaded by my father from his cut), but I do feel that it is only right I be refunded for the shortage. I'm completely convinced this was nothing more than an honest mistake, and no harm was intended, but feel that since there is an issue, and what was promised was not what was delivered, the seller should be willing to make it right, without making unreasonable demands in order to receive a refund. I'm not going to divulge to persons sign-on, email, or name in the hopes that he will still make this right. To be perfectly honest, I really doubt i'd try to screw someone out of $15 when I just spend $350 with him, plus the $ for the stock i'd purchased previously.

Thoughts?

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

You spent more than $15 worth of time typing that out. Let it go.

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I agree, let it go. It was not deliberate and it's a piddling amount....maybe 4 good beers in a bar or two mixed drinks and a snak at the club.

4. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

Here is the real deal. Are you going to get an ulcer over the $15? He thinks he is right. You know he is not. The shot was a good buy at the price you paid even if you were a few pounds short of his advertised weight. Are you right, of course. Is the $15 worth making an enemy over? Forget it. We can't win em all. I would hope he would reconsider if the &15 is worth ruinning his reputation. Tim Miller

5. skeet_man

I understand and can see your points, i'm not going to take this too harshly, was pretty much going to post this here and leave it at that, hoping the seller reconsiders if he see's this. I completely agree, $15 is not alot of $, but every bit makes a difference when your a college student trying to save as much $ as you can for shooting, and its also a principle thing, think how you'd feel if you drove into a full serve gas station, told the attendant to put 7 gallons in, he puts in 6 but charges you for 7, and as you drive away, you notice the shortage.

my best to all.

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Time is money, and you're spending too much of it on this non issue.

7. 682b

682b Member

Ian, CRAP happens. I will buy lunch if you come to Richmond for the Great Eastern. Then you only be short 7.50. Let it go it is not worth worrying about. Just look at the good deal you got anyway. Jim

8. asher

asher TS Member

I can't believe this. You said yourself that you are completely convinced it was an honest mistake. Post your name and address and I'll send you $15.

spinner

9. abiezer

abiezer Guest

tell him you want a complete refund for all the shot,
    give him back the bags,and 125lbs of loose shot,
    if he bitches that some of the loose shot is missing, tell him
    it was an honest mistake. :)

personally,, $105 for 151 lbs of shot is a good deal,
    i wouldn't be bitchin.
    But it would be nice if people could simply be honest.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

This sounds like the perfect case for Judge Judy to decide. HMB

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Damn, with the price of shot I would not have considered weighing it and had a smile on my face. Jeff

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Personally, I think you are overreacting. I bought 1000 pounds of homemade shot and appreciated the deal I got on it and drove 300 miles to pick it up in Montgomery Al. No I didn't weigh it as I took the man at his word and I knew it was weighed on a bathroom scale. So what if it was a little short, you knew it was weighed on the bathroom scale I would imagine. I understand that the sellor said it wasn't intentional. OH, and how much would the bags and liners have weighed?

As for you being a college student and I'm not trying to put all college students in the same category but the only purchase that I have ever had problems with on TS.com was a college student. Even so I didn't feel the need to get on here to divulge his name eventually, to rat him out.

Jackie B.

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I sent a college student that came on here pleading for hulls A full target box of once fired AA old style and told him to just pay the shipping , said was fine with him, ten days later I got a UPS notice to pick up a package, guess what ? It was refused. It was not sent collect. I still have it in my garage unopened .He never returned my E-mails. If some kid asked again would do it all over. Sometimes free is not enough. Jeff

14. dzneff

dzneff Member

Skeet Man,

Please honor us with the seller's name & address so we can avoid any contact with him (her?)

Dennis

15. skeet_man

Dennis- I'd prefer not to do that at this point, my intent of this thread was not to smear anyone, but to hopefully nudge the seller to do the right thing if he reads it, and vent a little. As has been pointed out, this was over a trivial amount, nothing worth ruining anyones reputation over on a mistake.

At this point, i think i've vented enough to make myself feel a little better, and i'll consider this a dead issue, and hope a check mysteriously shows up in the mail some day.

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ian, may I call you by your name here. I must say that you are a very busy student who finds alot of time to buy and sell so many items on here including K gun barrels and other pricy items. Forget-about-it. Its a very cheap lesson in life. You knew the shot was loose and some would be missing!! Believe me you will pay a much higher price on life's lesson's than this one in your many days ahead of you. May you learn from the them the first time. You got a very good deal, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth. First you needed to vent, and now so did I. I wish I could get deals like that. Good Luck in your studies. Break-em all. Jeff

17. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

skeet_man, send me your email and I'll paypal you $1. Anybody else in?

18. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

This sort of reminds me of a deal I had to purchase a Remington barrel from a fellow on this forum. I said I wanted it, he said I could have it. Well one or two days of no communication on either of our parts. He sold it to someone else that was "closer" for a "quick deal" as he put it. It was a subjective thing. He thought he was in the right, and I thought I was in the right.

I was going to get into it with him, but talked to several other members of the forum that I have had good dealings with, people much more experienced in the TS.Com way of deals. They advised not to get into it on the forum, that people would agree with me and others would agree with the seller.

So, I let it go. Any sort of shot @ $18.00/bag is a deal. I would like to buy about two tons of shot, especially magnum shot for that price. Oh, and I found a nib barrel for $50.00 less then the seller wanted for the other barrel.
    So these things work themselves out. IMHO. Rick Gibbs

19. sneaky

sneaky TS Member

What a baby...

20. hdskip

hdskip Member

When I was a very young man, I recieved some advise from a well respected mentor. It was as follows: When something like this occurs, ask yourself, How will this affect me in six weeks. This advise has saved me a lot of anxiety over the years.
    Respectfully
    Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.