1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Federal shells solved

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Some time ago, I reported that I had a problem with a Federal Gold medal shell separating and lodging most of the plastic case in my barrel. This is a follow-up to that message.

I contacted Federal about the problem, and when I spoke to a representative, he indicated that they would take care of it.

FEDERAL REALLY STEPPED UP TO THE BAR – today I received 6 more flats of Federal Papers via UPS. That makes a total of 12 flats of Federal Papers they have sent me (all freight prepaid), in exchange for 10 flats of possibly defective Gold Medal plastic shells that I had purchased (and which their rep picked up at my house). All this was done at absolutely no expense to me.

And they say that as soon as they start producing a new line of plastic shells, they will send me a flat or two of those to try out.

I think their response was really a first class way of addressing the problem. I certainly am totally satisfied.

Ted K.

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Good old Minnesota comapny, that Federal is. Nice to hear that at least some companys still value their customers.

3. gjmen

gjmen Member

I just the other day purchased 9 flats of their 1oz top guns. I noticed when bringing them from my truck to the house 2 of the flats rattled more than the others. I opened them up and found them missing shells from 2 of the boxes. I guess at $49 a flat, you dont get all 250 shells. Lol gjmen

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Ted-K I use Fed Gold medal plastic a-lot and never had that problem but have heard of it---Did it happen to many reused casings or new ones---What did U use to free up the stuck shell---heard that is a problem also---Thanks---George
    from sjb

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

To remove the separated hull, take two or three dimes and put them down the barrel from the muzzle end. Take a cleaning rod or wooden dowel and place on dimes. Hit with a hammer.

If really stubborn, spray some Kroil or lube oil into the barrel.

Federal did nothing for me. Once I use up my components I will never buy a Gold Medal again. I need hulls that can be reloaded.

Don Verna

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

George-

The shell that separated came from a box of new shells, and that box had been taken out of an unopened flat the same day I shot it.

Getting the hull out of the barrel was quite difficult. It was lodged very tightly in the barrel about 6 inches from the choke. (If you think about how much larger the chamber is than the bore, you can understand why the hull was in there pretty tightly.) We got it out by inserting a wooden dowel down the muzzle and using it to bend over some of the crimped portion of the hull, which then gave us a lip to push on and shove the hull out the breach. This involved a lot of finagling, an equal amount of cussing and a lot of force.

Someone proposed what I think is a much better solution (I have done this only once), which is to drip a little oil down the barrel so that it comes in contact with the hull, then insert a wad down the muzzle (oriented the same way as it would be if you shot it) and then press a dowel against the the wad to apply force to the hull. That sounds to me like it would work fairly quickly.

The dime solution outlined above assumes that the dimes will lodge flat against the hull, which may not be easy to arrange (or finagle). Furthermore, dimes are more expensive than used wads. I guess this is a perfect example of that old adage "You pays your money and you makes your choice," even though it involves only a couple of dimes.

Ted K.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Ted---I like the dime thing but I wonder if the dimes will stratch the barrel?---George

8. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Are there any particular lot #'s to look for to acquire the new shells? I mean, is there like a initial in front of the numbers or something like that? Jim

9. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I know an individual who bought a whole pallet and experienced the separation problem. Called Federal and they had a freight company pick them up and they sent his money back. They are aware of the problem.

10. THE-PLUMBER

THE-PLUMBER TS Member

is ther any lot number's we should be looking for?i bought 15 flats about a 5 weeks ago.there gm 3dram 8's.would feel alot better shooting them if i new i had a good run of shell's.any help would be great or a contact at federal.thank you

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Putting the wad in the muzzle end of the barrel with a dime in the wad worked the best for me.

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Why buy Fed plastics when you can get the papers for $10 a flat more and sell the hulls for a good price?

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

How do you get a dime down the muzzle of a full choked barrel?

14. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

28 ga empty hull works better.

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Put the dime on a grinder and take the edges off---sjb

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

If U live in farm country go to any farm parts store and ask for the brass plugs used to plug up the spray nozzle---I just thought of that---the brass won't scar the barrel and they are smaller than a dime-- Put the plug in a wad and use some oil and use a push rod----sjb

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I love gold medals---so far no problem but I will carry a quick fix with me just in case---I hear the problem is only with the smooth hulls---I load them 6 or 7 times---the brass base is much easier on the receiver and the loader--
    I just remember to look down bbl after every shot---I see the best taking time to check for a clear bbl so I guess I can take the time also---Please don't throw those hulls away---I'll pay for shipping---sjb

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Back about the time the smooth plastic hulls came along, I decided to switch from Remington ammo to Federal and bought 20 flats, about half papers and half plastics. Most of the plastic hulls I got were smooth but somehow, two flats of ribbed were mixed in.

I immediately had trouble with the smooth hulls coming apart in my gun on the initial firing. I called Federal and was told that such a problem did not exist. I took the unopened flats of smooth hulls back and exchanged them for flats bearing the same lot number as the ribbed ones I had.

Since then, several people have told me of having the same problem while others have shot the smooth hulls without a hitch. One shooting friend contacted Federal several months ago and was told that they are aware of the condition and are working toward a fix. He was asked to send them some hulls when he accumulated a quantity of hulls that had come apart. When he called back a month or so later for a UPS call tag, the person with whom he spoke denied ever hearing of the condition.

I'm glad they are finally owning up to the concern and doing something about it. I went back to Remington ammunition and am happy with it.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.