1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Deprimer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pcrc11, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcrc11

pcrc11 TS Member

I have an older style Mec Resizer/ deprimer to go with my Mec 650. It is the one that comes down from the top and pushes the primer out while the resizing collet slides over the shell. I usually resize my hulls and then inventory them until I am ready to reload a bunch of them at one time. I noticed that the deprimer is actually mushrooming the base of the shell out, enough that they will not set flat on my bench, probaly 1/32 of an inch. The hole that primer is pushed out through on the resizer is 1/2" in diameter and the base of the shell is being pushed through that hole enough to mushroom it out. Apparently the pushrod had unscrewed itself a few turns over time. I screwed it back up and also squirted some WD40 into plunger as it appeared it was a little dry. This seems to have fixed most of the problem. My concern is now that I have gone back and looked at some of my resized hulls this may have been going on for a while as I have found quite a few with the mushroomed out bottoms. Will this create a problem for my guns, Remington 11-87 semis??? Thank you for any advice.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would say it will cause problems, I would inspect each hull you have deprimed and each you may have loaded.

3. pcrc11

pcrc11 TS Member

What are your opinions on using the resizer to begin with, my 650 has a deprimer but no resizer, when I deprime with it the bases on the hulls are fine.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The shells won't cause a problem as long as the bolt on the 1187 closes OK. If you are shooting them one at a time in the same gun they were fired in there is no need to resize. If you are going to shoot doubles or skeet with them I would resize them. HMB

5. pcrc11

pcrc11 TS Member

ANy chance these shells could have created an intermittent cycling problem. After going back and looking at a lot of my shells I have found quite a few with mushroomed bases. My gun had started having unexplained cycling problems every now and then. I know cycling problems could start a whole new topic of discussion but being it is intermittent could the shells be causing the problem.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Your old MEC resizer is a good tool and I am glad you got the problem fixed. I do not like the idea of the section of the brass containing the primer protruding beyond the base but if you test the shells and they shoot, everything should be fine. I like to have all of my hulls resized during the loading process. It is probably not necessary if they are shot in the same gun but I don't like the remote possibility that one could not chamber properly.

Pat Ireland

7. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

As shown by my many posts on this topic, I years ago disconnected and removed the re-sizer collet from the 9000 MEC. IMHO the sliding collet is responsible for >90% of the MEC complaints. Cause: the steel collet fingers do not spring all the way back after repeated use. Sooner or latter a shell only drops partially down at station 1 and then the shell base is crushed when the lever is pulled. No collet, no shell base crush, no problem.

I shoot thousands or relolads. STS or gun club. I have never had a failure to load in my KX5 or K80 after reloading with no collet for years.

My shells are all fire formed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.