1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Collet on 9000G

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

Having a problem with the resizing collet on my my 9000g. For some reason, when I put a shell in to deprime, I think the collet is grabbing the brass too early and the deprimer is literally stretching or elongating it.

I have adjusted the collect all the way down so that is really should not even be resizing the shell at all. I just took it apart, cleaned it out and lubricated it. Problem still happen. See pic and please help.

Thanks,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ajhiii07

ajhiii07 Member

your shell is not all the way down in the collet, look for something holding the primer exit tube up like stacked primers or being caught on guide

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Might be a problem with the shell lifter? (aka "primer exit tube")

4. Mike W

Mike W Member

I had the same problem with mine. The tube in the center of the collet resizer was not dropping far enough. Loosen the nut on the rod that lifts the tube and lower it a little bit. That should solve your problem. Also check to see that nothing in caught in the collet.

Mike W

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

if you do not have your wad guide in the right position it will hang up the post that lowers your hull ,when the wad guide touches your hull there should be no movement with the hull ,adjust it so it does not move ,then the hull will drop down properly

6. PC Jim

PC Jim TS Member

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=257155

Check out this thread on Shotgunworld.com, It address's your problem.

If this link doesn't take you to the proper place go to the Reloading page under Forum's and look under "Top Threads"

Hope this helps.

Jim

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I had a piece of shot down in my collet once that caused that. Had to take the shell lifter out and reach in there with my finger to find the shot.

Let us know what fixes this for you.

8. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Everyone is right. Shell is not dropping to the bottom of the collet.Surprised to see no one says to pull the pin out of the center of the collet and clean it good. No lube at all. Wouldn't be surprised if a shot or 2 don't fall out when you pull the pin.

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

All of the above are right. After you clean the collet take a GOOD LOOK at it.
    I can guess that one of the fingers on the clollet is bent. It is time to replace it.
    I do recomand that you got to ebay and get the collet removel tool. It make it a lot easyer to get the collet out and put the new one in.
    Next set you new collet to .005 larger than a new shell. Then the collot will last longer.

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I just bought a NIB 9000E. It did the very same thing to the very first shell I ran thru it. Other problems as well. Mec was very nice about repairs. They wanted to talk me thru it but were agreeable to my shipping it to them and they would either repair/adjust it or send me a new replacement. Marc

11. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Whenever this same problem happens to me I spend hours and hours trying all of the fixes and taking things apart. Then I remember to run a pick through the fingers of the collet and out comes that liitle piece of #8 shot and I'm back in business.

Dave

12. Reinz

Reinz Member

It's a timing issue.

Like others have said, it can be a number of things.

9 times out of 10, it is shot inside the collet.

The key is, the shell MUst drop down all the way before pulling the handle or pressing the button.

Good Luck

13. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Do not lube the lifter. With the lifter out of the collett clean the interior of the collett paying attention to the lower bore the lifter travels through. If you have ever used brake cleaner or a similar product to lean the collett look for the presence of a tar/gum material. Many brake cleaners will disolve powder etc but when the cleaner evaporates it can leave a tarlike, very flamable solid behind. On my 9000H it created a perfect washer/ring around the lower portion of the lifter...... stuck with every attempt till I figured it out and cleaned it........... Larry

14. PC Jim

PC Jim TS Member

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=227203

Here is the correct link to Shotgunworld for your problem,

Jim

15. PC Jim

PC Jim TS Member

Copy and paste the above link in your browser and you'll see your exact picture and the fix.
    Jim

16. t7731

t7731 Member

Well, as I said in the original post I cleaned the collet and re lubricated it. The problem continued and so I called MEC. They told me I needed a new collet which i disagreed with cause this loader has less 10,000 shells through it.

So in a last ditch effort, I took the collet all the way out, sprayed it with carb cleaner and got inside each of the grooves with a brush and then blew it completely dry with my air compressor. Did not find ANY shot whatsoever when I had it apart.

Low and behold, I lubed it put it back together and whammo, everything now works great. Go figure.

Thanks for the help guys. Anybody reading this in the future, just remember this. Even if you think you have cleaned your collet, you probably really have cleaned your collet. Take it out of the base and make it like new. You can watch this video if you need help taking it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLpGSbT-1Jk&feature=youtu.be

17. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

I'm guessing you did not notice the piece of shot that fell out, but whatever, I'm glad you got it worked out.

18. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Keeping this valuable link up top.

Larry

19. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

AFTER EVERYTHING FAILS "GET A SPOLAR". Worked for me. Had the same problem with my 9000H, getting a Spolar solved that problem and so many others I had with the MEC.

20. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

These are great loaders except for the shot that keeps accumulating in the collet creating the situation that you photographed.
    I have started separately resizing my shells and start inserting them at the station 2 priming station.
    I bypass the PITA collet and are able to make sure that the primer feed put the primer in the primer station right side up.
    It now runs like a top and is easier to pull the handle with no hull to resize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000g deprime troubleshooting

shell lifter not even with collet