1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Clays powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dphillips8191, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I have experienced some issues with a batch of Clays powder not firing and I wanted to see if anyone else has had any problems and if so what did you do. Bummer part is I have thousands of shell loaded and not sure ones are affected.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes as per DaveS & Eddie more info would help. That said I had some issues with Clays this winter in chilly temps (not cold but low 40s--upper 30s) think I found my gremlin in the primer--temp--Clays combination. I had gotten a good price on some Noble Sports so decided to try them. When I switched back to my usual Rem. 209s things went back to normal. Ross Puls

3. psfive

psfive Member

Clays and Nobel Sport primers is all I use. Here in Nebraska in March, April and May we can have some cold temps. We shoot in a lot of 20 -30 degree days. I have never had a mis or non fire I could put on the primer or powder. Once or twice I had one not go boom cause powder didn't flow. My bad. Paul in GINebraska.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

check your existing powder to see if it's loose or clumped. otherwise it's the primer ..

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

"Once or twice I had one not go boom cause powder didn't flow."

Everybody KNOWS it couldn't be a result of static build-up in the loader or, heaven forbid, a powder baffle...

Ed

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Don't toss the next shell that doesn't fire. Disassemble it and look for the problem. Did the primer fire if so it could be a powder problem.Wet? No powder the shell will not crimp or really caved in.

Rock

Jim

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Are you getting a good primer hit with the firing pin? Did you try it a second time, or in another gun? Have you weighed any suspected shells to see if they are 15-20 grains light? About the only thing that ruins smokeless powder is heat. I've never heard of a bad batch of Clays.

Powder drop, primer, broken firing pin.

Wayne

8. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

My firing pin is striking the primer fine. I get some rounds that fire normal, some rounds fire with 1/2 the recoil and when u look in the barrel it has unspent powder. Some rounds fire just enough to clear the wad from the barrel and some wads don't clear the barrel at all. I use cheddite and American target primers, I have never had any issues with primers. What also makes me scratch my head is the 1oz loads are fine it's only my 7/8 oz loads that seem to be affected.

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

dphillips8191,

What kind of reloader did you use?

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sounds like a possibility of wet hulls. I don't reload anything unless it comes from my pocket or sits in the room for weeks.

HM

11. johnpe

johnpe Member

Another possibility is the reloader. Some makes and models permit the charge bar to be cycled so fast the bushing doesn't pick up a full charge of powder. The solution is to slow down just a bit - usually on the down stoke.

Johnpe

12. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

STS hull and pink down range wads on a mec 9000. All my hulls are stored inside my loading room in the house. They don't get wet. I weight my powder drops at random intervals. I have never had any issues with green or red dot powders and my 1oz loads seem to be fine with clays. My 1 oz loads are nitro hulls, cheddite and american target primers, clay buster 3118 wads and #8 shot all loaded on the same press. I had 3 kegs of clays and after loading 11/2 kegs it's hard to tell now which kegs I started having issues with. Has anyone ever contacted a powder company for assistance? I wonder if they would help. Bummer part is I can't shoot any PITA with the issues I am having due to the failure to fire. I bought my powder from North west shot in Oregon. Thanks for all the suggestions out there.

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

D Phillips,

I would look to your wad as the source of the problem. It sounds like the wad may not always seal properly. If you have light reports and unburned powder in the bore your wad is not doing its job all the time.

Clays powder needs sufficient pressure to perform. A 7/8 ounce shot charge reduces the pressure. Cold weather will reduce the pressure too. Cut a hull off a half inch above the brass and see how the wad fits in the hull. If there is space between the wad and the hull powder can migrate by the seal.

The other possibility is the wad is being damaged when it is loaded.

A careful examination of a cut open shell(s) should reveal the problem.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you have used only those American Target primers with these shells, try loading an identical box using a name brand primer and see what happens... borrow some if you have to.

Keller

15. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Why don't you call Hodgdon, 913-362-9455? During business hours, they always have a tech support person available. Personally, we have never had a problem with Clays. The one customer who insisted that he had dust from Clays all over, we learned after tearing our hair out trying to figure out why, was lying to us; he was using Clay Dot, not the same powder at all.
    Dicksie

16. Ron Reiber

Ron Reiber TS Member

Good morning, the problem you are having with your Clays load could be one of two possibilities. One is the wad, and two is the primer. We have no lot numbers of Clays with a problem, and in fact, never have since introduced in 1991. Cold weather can cause certain wads to fail in the over powder section if the temps are just under 32 degrees. Primers not made in America fail in the same manner, because they were not designed expressly for our double base primers. CCI, Rem, Fed and Win are all designed to work in cold temps, consequently give no problems. Since you note 1 oz loads work, and 7/8 do not, it is also a possibility your charge weight is too low, producing too low pressures for the powder to ignite properly. Pressures need to be about 7000 psi or above for loads to work correctly in temps below 32. I would suggest using combinations of the components I listed above, along with a load shown in our data for 7/8 oz that exceeds the 7000 psi limit. Please feel free to call me at Hodgdon for further discussion, at 913-362-9455.

Good Shooting!
    Ron Reiber
    Product Manager
    Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester Powder Co.

17. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

Thanks for the help fellas, Ron I will call you .

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.