1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with BT-99???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Before each shoot I lube the gun and after approximatly 2 to 3 boxes of ammo the gun won't open easy after discharging the shell!It seams to be stuck but with just a little more pressure than normal it opens.THen if I relube it it works fine for another 50 to 75 rds.There is some galling at the hinge or barrel lug.Should I smooth this out?

2. blaster

blaster Member

You might be having a fire pin sticking

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with mine on occasion. this seems to be a only with the new ones. My buddies gun, very broken in but new, does the same. If you wait a second or two longer before trying to open it, it seems to go away. Some sort of vacuum in the barrel?

4. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

The barrel is open on one end so I do not think it is a vacuum.

I would consider smoothing out the galling.

Dr. Honk

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

When a '92 BT99 heated up, I had this issue... cool no, warmed up, yes.

Eventually sold the gun. Not a problem with firing pin or ejectors, maybe just a matter of expansion within the locking bolt mechanism?!

regards all,

Jay

6. poacherjoe

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

smooth the galling

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

Loosen the forend iron. It is too tight. The lube gets pushed out quickly because the fit is too tight. This is not rocket science.

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

O.K. I just looked at the forend of my bt and I don't see where there is any place for adjustment. Also I'm not sure what the "iron" is. Apparently this is rocket science to me. Can anyone help me on this? Bill

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Bill,

The "iron" is the metal piece that the wood is mounted too. The adjustment is using a file to remove material from the rear of the barrel lug (small metal piece protruding from the underside of the barrel about 6" in front of the receiver). You do this a little at a time (use a fine cut file) until it opens smoothly, but doesn't just flop open.

Use a little cold blue to dress the lug when desired fit is obtained.

ss

11. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

The firing pin could be sticking out slightly and catching on the indentation on the primer. I had this problem on a Ljutic. Try tilting the gun back slightly and tapping it underneath with the palm of your hand.. This would cause the pin to go back in.

You can wait for the pin to wear a bit or slighly smooth out the pin. I did the latter and the problem went away.

JMHO

Jim C

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Do not file on the forearm iron! BAD advise.

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I am speaking of a very new gun. I think the best approach would be to wait for it to wear in a bit. What it's doing is not much of a problem. Thanks for the input.
    Bill

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

JerryP,

I don't see where anyone suggested filing on the forend iron? I suggested filing the lug and yes that is the proper way to fit a forearm iron.

Bill,

Excessive pressure, too tight of clearance between the forearm iron and receiver, does a lot of damage galling being one of them. Gun parts should be properly fitted from the factory, but Browning is cutting every corner they can these days because of cost considerations. The quality control is very much so lacking these days.

ss

15. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

New style or older?

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

short shucker, I think the barrel lug should not be filed or otherwise altered. Browning files the end of the forearm iron to fit. The end of the forearm iron on my new model BT was fitted that way from the factory. The blueing was filed of the end of the iron, it was obviously fitted and fitted tight. All of the new BT's I have ever looked at were fitted pretty tight. No galling on mine. They know how to do it and they took the time to fit mine. They have cut the cost, as you mentioned. Aluminum and cast parts but they are still fitted. The forearm iron can easily be welded up and re-fitted which is why that part is altered instead of the barrel lug.

17. poacherjoe

Gentlemen this is a newer model that has about 15,000 rounds thru it.I never had a problem with it untill recently.Like I stated above it opens easy untill you get to the 3rd house and you might say that the gun is getting warm.It still opens but not like when it is cool.It just seems to want to "stick" closed.I have to apply more pressure for it to open at this time.There is normal wear at the lug but it is not as smooth as it was when new.I have cleaned it and relubed it and it works but it just seems to stick at 75 or so rounds.It still breaks open but with more force than when it's cool!???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.