1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem With BT-99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill1949, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

My 1976 Model BT-99 started popping open. I checked the top lever spring, it is O.K. I found out that the locking lug is not coming forward to engage the slot in the barrel lug. Anyone know how to fix this and what parts are needed? Any help is appreciated...Bill

2. bceagle

bceagle TS Member

I don't think that's a DIY fix, you will probably have to send it out. I recommend Midwest Gunworks, guaranteed two week turnaround, great people, good work.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Had the stock off. They are often rusty there and can cause them to pop open.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Just because the top lever spring is "there" doesn't mean it hasn't weakened.

Also, being a '76 model, it's probably time for a rebuild anyway. Is the top lever sitting on center or to the left of center, of the top tang, when the bbl is installed?

Doug Braker

5. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

The top lever is slightly right of center. The locking plate can be pushed into position but when the gun is opened the locking plate won't come back out to engage the slot in the barrel like it used to...Bill

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Bill1949 - you wrote "The locking plate can be pushed into position but when the gun is opened the locking plate won't come back out to engage the slot in the barrel like it used to...Bill".

When you open a break open shotgun, the locking plate does not engage anything. Otherwise, you could not open the gun. The locking plate comes into play when the gun is closed.

I am not at all certain how you can push the locking plate into position. Obviously you have the stock off, but I don't know how to push the plate forward.

But now that we are here, I must ask if this gun ever worked. I don't know how you determined the top lever spring is "OK". You did not say how you figured this out. The rest of what you are saying does not make sense to me.

If the locking plate were in need of replacement, the top lever would not be to the right of center.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a BT-99 a long time ago where a part called "top lever dog" was broken and I had to get a replacement. It sounds like the problem here.

8. mike b.

mike b. Member

If it comes open occassionally, it's probably the spring has lost its "spring". If you're competent to remove the old one, remove and pull it about one third inch longer and reinstall. If problem lessens or goes away, purchase new spring.

9. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

Bill1949----miketmx is correct. You have a broken top lever dog, or the shaft that goes from the top lever to the dog on the bottom. I had exactly this same problem on one of my 99's a couple years ago . Tore it down, seen the problem, and ordered the dog. I put it in myself, but it is a job. It has to be hand filed and fitted. I had never done this job before, so it took me several attempts to get it right. I had that dog in and out of there several times to get the lever position correct. This dog is what pushes the barrel locking bar(?)out, to lock up the gun. It still works fine today,so it must be right.------Jack M

10. mike b.

mike b. Member

The top lever dog does control the lock-up plate. When mine broke, I found the broken piece in the action and nothing would secure. Replacing it does require milling due to it being oversized. The good point is that you end up with the lever way on the right side.(like a newer gun) If this is your type of problem, replace both dog and lever spring.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Could be the top lever dog, worn locking plate, weak spring or rust. If it were my gun I would ship it to Doug Braker. His e-mail address is in his above post. I am sure many other gunsmiths could fix the gun but Doug give us so much good advice, he would be my choice. When I ask someone to work on my gun, I always tell the to take care of anything they find that requires attention.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.