1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with BT 100...help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grade VI, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

My BT 100 SS is not hitting the primers hard enough to set them off. I just put in a brand new firing pin and it is still doing the same thing. I thought it might also be my reloader that is setting the primers too deep. I adjusted the pressure so the primers are just deep enough to rotate to the next station. Most winchester primers will work but off brands are terrible. Should I open up the firing pin hole slightly? Please help.....it is difficult to concentrate knowing that this shell might not go off. Thanks,,,,,,,Tom

2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

You either do not have enough protrusion or hammer speed. Since you have changed your firing pin, it would seem that you should change your spring next.

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Do not seat your primers loosely to compensate for the problem. Not a good idea!

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the post above. Replace the spring. I have to replace the hammer springs every year in my gun.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They are most likely correct about the spring but it could be the primers and especially if you are using Nobels. The Nobel is famous for that and especially in cold weather

6. blaster

blaster Member

make sure that your firing pin hole is very clean when you put your firing pin in. 2 make sure all spring are at factory lenght. 3 after all is done fire your gun with the barrel off your firing pin should stick out about .062.

7. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I had a similar problem with my BT-100. It would fire Fiochi 616 primers in a Federal hull consistently. The problem was that the main spring in the trigger group had taken a "set". it was about 1/4" shorter than a new spring even though the tension was within specifications. Changing the maninspring cured all problems. I would recomend changing your main spring on a regular basis, say annually.

Bob K

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Two years ago my BT-100 was doing the same thing at a shoot.

"CRV Custom Arms" boys installed a new set of springs between 100s, problem solved !!!

Dave in SC

9. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Thanks for all the help. Which spring is the main spring and can I change it myself or should a gunsmith do it? TOM

10. blaster

blaster Member

you can do all of them. there not that hard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.