1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with bead misalignment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Being a right handed shooter---the mid bead is a bit to the left of the front bead when the gun is mounted. Where will this place the shot pattern? I believe that it places the shot off center --but will it be to the left or to the right of the target. I have tried the patten board. I am wondering what you all think the pattern is going to.Thanks --Dennis.

2. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello Dennis,,

Say your eye is the rear sight, and you move the comb to the left to
    align the mid - bead & the front bead. I'm gonna say that the pattern
    will go left of where it was before you moved the comb.

If you don't move the comb, nothing will take place, the mid-bead can
    be left, right , or missing the pattern will stay the same.

This is if a person can mount the buttplate in the same location
    each time.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Dennis,

If the mid bead is left, the gun will shoot right if the beads are installed correctly and the choke tube(s) do not have a bias.

Put it on the patterning board. It will tell you a lot.

Don Verna

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The beads may appear misaligned but how's the RIB appear? Are you looking down the center of it or is it off-center as well?

If you're favoring one side of the rib, you need a comb adjustment.

MK

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You need more castoff in your comb.

6. sport303

sport303 Member

the first thing you must prove is that the gun shoots straight and you do this from a rest just like you would a rifle. after that moving the comb to the right moves the pattern right etc. hope this helps. jack concannon

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Does your gun have an adjustable comb? It kinda sounds like you don't, but I'm reading between the lines.

If the midbead is on the left, the comb has to move to the right to be lined up. I know of people who have ground their stock down, but that leaves you with a refinishing project on your hands. A better bet would be to have an adjustable comb put on so you can adjust it properly.

--------------

Later: You're right, Dick.

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

bobdog, you got it backwards. If the midbead is left of the front bead the comb
    would have to be moved to the LEFT to align the beads.

It's possible that the beads aren't lined up because you're canting the gun, so be sure that's not the case. An adjustable pad could correct that.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How does one analyze problems we can't see without knowing all the circumstances? Guess work.

Sometimes we get a (Monday) mid-bead placement on a rib, that may be off centered a few thousandths. Then there's the (Monday) rib, installed off centerline of the bore by a few thousandths, (jig slipped just a tad?) Then there's the chance of canting the gun which (may) misalign the center bead somewhat. Has the barrel been (persuaded), read that as bent to shoot straight? More questions than answers but it in there somewhere! Good luck.

Hap

10. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Very helpful-Thanks. I do have an adj.comb. The gun is a Perazzi MX 14L. I have moved the comb every which way. The comb adj.-when all the way to it's limit to the left works best.I place the comb under my cheek bone so that it is always in the same location. Note*** How can I get more left movement of the comb? I had a pad on the side of the comb prior. I suppose I could try that again as a quick fix. Also I just now installed a PFS-and after many adjustments with that the beads are lined up correctly. I stated all of this because I was missing straight away lefts from posts 3,4 and five so I knew something wasn't right. All ink balls and then down when the straights come. Thanks-Dennis.

11. BigM-Perazzi

Well I'm confused. ...

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dennis, good for you! Just a heads-up on straight aways from station 5. If set at the recommended settings, you won't get a true straight away from one or five.

Hap

13. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Me too. That's why I asked for help.

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

He would have this week end Hap. I'd set it in the 3 hole for practice shooting alone prior to he and his friends getting to the club. I'll have to remember tomorrow to put it back in the 2 hole. Oh well, :)

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What's a straight away left? HMB

16. BigM-Perazzi

hmb, your obviously confused.. too!! lol

17. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Bob: We don't mind if you use the 4 hole.And add speed.

18. DENNISMASTROLIA1

HMB--You asked "What is a straight away left?" Think about it and re read the posts. HELLO! Anyway-It's all corrected. Thanks. What varying opinions to a simple question. Thanks just the same.

19. BigM-Perazzi

Can you post a pic of your buttstock so we can see your interesting solution?¿?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.