1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with AA-lite powder in PW800b

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have been loading 7/8 oz loads with the Winchester AA-lite powder at 14.8 grs per load.The problem I am having is the amount of squib loads!!Evidently the powder drops are not consistent.I have checked the gears on top and they are on the money!I really like this soft shooting load when it works but I was at an ATA shoot yesterday and I had 2 squibs in a row so I had to switch to my hdcp loads so as not to be penalized!The wad stuck in the barrel both times!

Has anyone else had a problem with this powder?PJ

2. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear P.J.
    Your powder drop sounds right with AASL powder and 7/8 oz. lead shot. Did you see a lot of unburned powder when you knocked out the stuck wads? That would lead me to question the powder condition or possible contaminants in the case. Be sure to check the allen screws and arm tightness underneath the upper head on your PW. Grab hold of the upper arm while holding the lower arm and check for backlash. tighten as neccessary. But only two squibbs does lean towards operator error. Has happened to almost all reloaders at one time or another. Please let us know the wad type and case type also. Many situations can cause bloopers, you will just have to be more attentive during the machine cycle.
    Sincerely,
    Jet Boat Bill (Loads 10K per year on a PW)

3. poacherjoe

Bill: I am using the claybuster replacement for the WAA12L wad in a Remington nitro hull and a W209 primer.I use the PW E-2 bushing.I practiced with these loads and had 3 or 4 squibb loads in 50 shots,I did notice alot of unburned powder then but only the wads came out with the 2 squibbs that I had on sunday!

When I drained the hopper I had to tap the hopper to keep the flow going.This makes me think the powder is to fluffy and the Bushing ID is small!!Everything lines up good.Maybe I didn't cycle the machine all the way but I doubt that.I think The loader needs a vibrator like spolar has!

The powder is new and smells just fine and the cases are inspected before they are used.

Do you also use this type of powder and have zero problems with it?I will try to be more mindfull when the machine cycles and then I will try these loads to see if it makes a difference. Thanks PJ

4. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear PJ,
    Thank you for providing more info! If you had 4 squibs in 50, it's time to get in the investigation mode. Cut open 5 samples and weigh the powder in each on a good scale. Please report back. Please inspect your cases by standing vertically on the bench with a strong focused light and look inside each one for contaminants. IE. glossy wet coatings, dead bugs, dirt,foreign residue etc. I pick up a lot of empties and even found gum wrappers stuffed inside! Dead bugs and dirt is common! It's great to be using the correct recommended bushing, but weighing the actual grains dropped is the final answer. WWSL should meter well thru your PW press unless you are loading in very high humidity conditions. Be sure your PW powder arm is in the detent position also.
    Please let us know the actual grains dropped.
    Sincerely,
    Jet Boat Bill

5. poacherjoe

OK. I just got back from a shoot and once again I had some squibb loads! Another shooter said that the problem might be that my loader isn't GROUNDED!!

With that said WHY is it that I have zero problems with ALL the other powders that I use?? I wish someone else out there was useing the same powder in the same reloader and could tell me where the problem is??

I think the texture of AA lite is fluffy and it won't meter properly unless I place some sort of vibration device on the loader!This I have yet to try.

Anyone have some input???Thanks PJ

6. poacherjoe

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I do not know if the grounding will help you? I load on a MEC when I bought some Win lite to try to duplicate the Win low noise low recoil rounds I did notice the powder would climb up the sides of the powder bottle? Grounding the unit did help some. I then got into the practice of wiping the bottles with dryer sheets. I later stopped using win lite powder # it was not easy to get #2 it seemed to get all over the place. It is small and light.

I will also 2nd the bugs in the shells, especially any type that may make a cocoon of some sort. Ohh yeah these little buggers can also find their way into you not used to often gun barrels!!!

I would think if you weighed out a good shell. then weigh out 25 to see if you have any light loads. I would think it should stand out if it is only throwing a partial powder charge.

8. poacherjoe

Yes I think the powder is the culprit! When I load it in the spolar I have zero problems!I am going to take a small vibrator and attach it to the powder bottle and see if this helps.My friend with the spolar is going to let me load 8 cases of the 7/8 oz's!

The bug's and stuff aren't the problem because the hulls are given an inspection and blown clean with compressor.And the machine cycles perfectly I had problems with it in my mec also! Thanks for the advice!Regards Joe

PS,You mentioned "not easy to get"Go to powder valley.com. You have to order 6 - 8LB kegs at a time of whatever powder you want but it is way cheaper than anything here in Kalifornia! Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.