1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with 2005 Chev Pick-Up.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe Woods, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Jus arrived in Arizona, 2200 mile trip from Ontario. Upon arrival,the next morning I checked the motor oil, on the dip stick. It did not show oil on dip stick. I was puzzled, upset. I had checked it after 2 days on road , oil was ok. But upon arrival in Tucson,no oil showed on dip stick. I immediately went to Jiffy Lube and got an oil change. Anyone have any experience or suggestions
    on this problem. 2005 Chev Z71,4 Wheel drive,5.3 liter V8,145,000 kilometers
    No problems before, I am watching it close now.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I would have like to seen the oil filter prior to removal. What you are describing is an oil filter loosening up a bit and seeping oil. I've seen this a lot on all sorts of different vehicles over the years. Take a look at the undercarriage and see if it is wet with oil.

Look at the exhaust pipe end and see if there is any undo amount of carbon build-up. If an oil control ring has broken it will show up here first.

ss

3. ryanhammer

ryanhammer TS Member

Possibly a clogged pcv system. I've had that happen, and go through oil at about the same rate. Positive pressure builds up in the crank case and forces oil past the rings, and then out the tail pipe. If you don't find a visible leak, I would suggest looking at the pcv valve and hoses. Hope that helps.

4. Joe Woods

Jus arrived in Arizona, 2200 mile trip from Ontario. Upon arrival,the next morning I checked the motor oil, on the dip stick. It did not show oil on dip stick. I was puzzled, upset. I had checked it after 2 days on road , oil was ok. But upon arrival in Tucson,no oil showed on dip stick. I immediately went to Jiffy Lube and got an oil change. Anyone have any experience or suggestions
    on this problem. 2005 Chev Z71,4 Wheel drive,5.3 liter V8,145,000 kilometers
    No problems before, I am watching it close now.

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I would have like to seen the oil filter prior to removal. What you are describing is an oil filter loosening up a bit and seeping oil. I've seen this a lot on all sorts of different vehicles over the years. Take a look at the undercarriage and see if it is wet with oil.

Look at the exhaust pipe end and see if there is any undo amount of carbon build-up. If an oil control ring has broken it will show up here first.

ss

6. ryanhammer

ryanhammer TS Member

Possibly a clogged pcv system. I've had that happen, and go through oil at about the same rate. Positive pressure builds up in the crank case and forces oil past the rings, and then out the tail pipe. If you don't find a visible leak, I would suggest looking at the pcv valve and hoses. Hope that helps.

7. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

I have a 2002 that did the exact same thing on a 180 mile trip over two quarts down when I got there, the check engine oil or light came on. Topped it off at pep boys and never ever had the problem since. Scared me, I still own it, with only 54k miles it has never done anything like that since. Now, if it would quit leaking anti-freeze.

Fords for me from now on.

8. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Replace the PCV valve. When you accelerate more oil gets pumped up to the area of the valve covers. If the PCV valve is stuck open this oil gets sucked right into the engine, gets burned, and out the exhaust.

9. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Joe,
    With it consuming that much oil if it's leaking externally it won't be hard to see the leak.It could be a intake manifold leak which you might not see externally..A quick way to ck for a internal problem is to remove all the spark plugs and check for any fouling on plugs.I would think you might have an oil leak somewhere.

Sandy Holehouse.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

had a Chevy that did the exact same thing...found it was that all the intake bolts were finger tight and it was sucking oil from the lifter galley and blowing it out the tailpipe...they used cheesey plastic intake gaskets that they only tighten to like 10ft-lbs so they dont crush the poor lil things...it did this twice on a 96 305 TBI smallblock...put on a set of old style Mr Gasket gasket set and torqued to 40lbs with blue locktite...problem fixed

11. Joe Woods

Thankyou gentlemen, going to watch this vehicle very close. I have checked tailpipe and made engine room observations. I will monitor this engine closely.
    Check it twice a day. But for know , just short trips, going to Phoenix next week. 125 mile run. watch it then.
    I am in Tucson, Az. Shooting at Tucson Trap & Skeet, weather a little cool,
    But no snow to shovel.

Joe Woods/Ontario

12. white rattler

white rattler Member

Joe, If you need help with repairs let me know as I have a good friend that makes his living fixing GMs. Is the motor running OK? No lifter noise. Trevor

13. kenf

kenf Active Member

Joe,

Did the check engine light come on? If it was getting sent through the exhaust, I would certainly think it would contaminate the O2 sensors.

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Maybe you didn't leave it sitting long enough to get an accurate reading when you checked the oil during your trip. A qt every thousand or so is not unheard of with a 5.3 and miles.

15. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

HI Joe...Both Trevor and I know that your first mistake was that you bought a chevy...Good luck with your shooting, I will leave for Fl. in a couple of weeks...

16. Joe Woods

Things seem to be stable. Confusing . Mr. Pollock has new Raptor by Ford.

Very Nice. Take Care to All.

Joe Woods/Ontario

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

GM has stated that a quart every thousand miles is within factory acceptable specifications. How much oil was drained when you had the oil cahnged in Tucson? GM has issues with oil loss and has for a number of years. Keep a close eye on the usage and check it every thousand miles, once the engine is turned off you can check the oil within 60 seconds with out wondering if all the oil is back in the pan if it's not there is a problem that needs correction the return gallies are blocked.

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Boy, does this thread bring back memories!

As a service manager, I fielded that question from many owners of domestic and imported vehicles. They drive around locally for what seems like forever without ever adding oil and as soon as they take a trip, the engine "burns oil." Actually, all engines have to burn some oil or the rings would seize to the cylinder walls and what they did burn was water.

When you start a cold engine and the oil warms, condensation forms on the internal surfaces of the engine. If the vehicle is not driven at least 35 miles (according to two auto manufacturers and several oil companies) or long enough to bring the oil to at least 150 degrees and keep it there for a while, that water will not be "cooked off." Since the engine is burning a little oil at all times and water is replacing it in the crankcase, the level on the dipstick remains constant. Make all short trips and you'll find sludge forming in the engine because of the oil contanination.

But when you do take that vehicle on a several hundred-mile trip, the oil gets hot and stays that way for a long time, cooking off all that water and causing the fluid level on the dipstick to drop. A lot of customers were puzzled because when they checked the oil at the first fuel stop or at the end of the first day's driving, it was down a quart or more but the same thing didn't happen on subsequent tanks or days.

Take the oil filler cap off the engine after your typical short drive to work or the store when the engine was started cold and you'll likely see a coating of moisture on the underside of it. The engine oil coolers a lot of newer cars and trucks are equipped with these days add to the condition because it takes oil that is run through a cooler longer to come up to operating temperature.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.