1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem...Voice Release..not working for me!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by turbobike, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbobike

turbobike Member

I have been having an increasing "failure-to-function" with voice releases. I say "pull-it" fairly loud. No function, so I have to YELL. Yet other shooters have no problems with the same microphones. Any suggestions for a cure?

2. twopipe

twopipe Member

it's not how loud, it's how long your call is

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Is the microphone on your open side? Meaning it's on your left side if you're a right handed shooter & vice versa?

Eric

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, time duration is necessary so the electronics can function. short yippy calls notoriously fail to throw a target.

Also place the microphone right spang in front of you slightly favoring your non gun side. I usually have it about a foot ahead of the yard line, and slightly left if since I am a righty. tip the speaker slightly up to point at your face.

I almost never get a no target. But slow ones happen if there is a defective speaker.

HM

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

You may be calling too soon after the shooter before you. There is a 2 point something second time delay after the shot before the system will "hear" your call. Also a single word call seems to work best for me because when I use a call like Pull-it I have a tendency to end up going pullllllLIT which drives the electronics nuts. I even tend to stretch the single word pull out so that is why I went to UP.

I actually prefer to have the mic on my gun side or directly in front of me so I don't have my fat body between my mouth and the mic.

--- Chip King ---

6. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

Sounds silly, but do you have a full beard? We had a group from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation shoot at the bunker in Colorado springs. One shooter had a full beard and it was virtually impossible for him to get a target and the mics there are generally more sensitive than Canterbury for example.

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

turbobike,

I have analyzed many thousands of voice calls. All commercial Voice Releases are designed to release with the same amount of delay as a good puller would have, about 150-200 msec. The only part of your call that matters is the "P" and a bit of the "U". The rest of "pull-it" happens long after the 150-200 msec window has passed and the target should be released. I too use a long drawn out call, most of the time I am still calling as the gun goes off.

I suggest you put more emphasis on sharpening the beginning of your call.

Michael Goines

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Has anybody else noticed that Ladies seldom have trouble getting the voice calls to work? I've noticed also that a guy in our club that has a really deep voice has a lot of trouble with the voice calls..........could it be that the voice calls work better with higher pitched voices??

John C. Saubak

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

All I do is lightly pronounce the "P"or "Pu". I want to try and say the shortest, quietest, least disturbing to my gun: call that works, hardly moving my mouth/face. Works for me; yelling, screaming, and hog calling appear counter-productive. AJ

10. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

What type of system is the club using?

We have Outers at my club and they can be a problem for SOME shooters. We found that a LONGER call will work better than a quick chirp. The loudness of a call does not seem to be a factor.

Frank

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Check out comments on the other thread about V Rs. Ross Puls

12. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I was visiting at Ben Avery last year and a guy who had had laryngeal surgery of some sort was using an electronic beeper to trigger the VR.

It was really cool, but I have no clue what/who made it or if it was a homemade job. He had a little pressure switch on his forend or in his hand and the beeper was in his pocket connected witha thin wire. He would mount, press the button and the box would emit a solid tone, not bothersome at all to other shooters and the VR picked it up everysingle time, no delay, no issues.

If I was struggling with VR I would use his setup in a heartbeat.

Dan

13. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

try different word than pull, I was getting lots of slow pulls and/or no pulls, call for target now saying "bird", works for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

voice releasing problem