1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

problem target

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Travioli, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

It seems I have developed a target that gives me a some trouble. Normally it is on post 4 and is a slight angle target. How do you get rid of the pesky gremlin?

Travis

2. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

I started having trouble with the same targets and analyzed what I was doing wrong. I was stopping the gun. The slight angle didn't sink in right away and I was shooting "at" the target like it was a straight-away. Add some swing and make sure you get a little lead on those targets.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Travis- You have to figure out what you are doing. Is the problem mental or physical? If it is a physical problem and you worry about it some, it can shift to a mental problem.

Without watching you, there is now way I can tell what you might be doing wrong. There are many ways to miss targets and I have experience with all of them. If we want to just guess at your problem, the most likely possibilities are not seeing the target well and/or not staying in the gun (head lift, arm swing). These are the two most common reasons targets are missed.

Can you tell us a little bit about how things look just as you pull the trigger? If the target disappears just as you pull the trigger you are probably cross sighting with your other eye. If the target looks extra clear and big, you have your head up. Tell us more.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Most of the problems mentioned above can be solved by shooting the target fast. No time to lift your head and the gun is moving when you pull the trigger. HMB

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

maclellan1911, if a very slight angle fools you at the shot, why not figure out the angle when the bird first appears? Lots of shooters do the same thing thinking that slight angle is a straight away, lost. Hap

6. woodhack67

woodhack67 TS Member

I agree with Pat. Not being able to see what you are doing creates some issuses.
    When I find myself in that situation I go back to the basics. Foot placement , gun alignment, where is my hold on the trap.

I have f0ound that if i start misreading quarter angles i force myself into a higher hold on the trap. THis gives the target a chance to aquire its angle before and forcing me to see it for what it is and not guessing at a straightaway or an angled target. You got plenty of time to shoot it.

Anthony

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mac, I would look out where I'd see a whole target. The streak seen with your peripheral vision will tell your computer what it is, angle wise. If you gaze for a true straight, then any target appearing on either side of that line is an angle of some sort? Hap

8. Rick173

Rick173 TS Member

If the target is a 1/4 R on post 4 and you feel you see the target quickly and clearly then it's probably not a vision problem. If you think you might be behind the bird then I suggest looking at the front edge of the target and if that doesn't work. You might try changing your foot position to closer to how you would stand on post 5 which gives you a little more swing putting you ahead of the target.
    Good luck and shot well
    Rick Shoop PA

9. romie

romie Active Member

I am having the same problem.I think I am anticipating a harder right with my footing and it goes straight.I thought I might start for the straight bird like Devels advocate said.....but then the hard right's going to get me.
    Monty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.