1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

problem/question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AAtrap, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

My problem is inconsistent Hdc. scores. I have bounced back and forth between the 24 and 27 yd. line. I'll shoot an 85 one day and a 97 the next with the same shooting conditions. I will admit that I am in the process of playing around with some different guns,but it doesn't seem to make any difference what gun I am shooting;scores are still up and down. I always try to be cognizant of the basics etc.while shooting.(not new to this sport)One of those always do,is keeping the head on the stock. The last time I shot Hdc. I noticed that I was just slightly relaxing my cheek from time-to-time (peeking?)

To the question---For those of you who have shot a"conventional" gun and have then switched to a more "heads-up gun" have you noticed it easier to stay on the stock without the occational peek? Head is already more erect. Maybe I'm way off base here, but thought I'd ask.

I presently shoot a Ljutic mono and just recently purchased a KS-5 special. Both have adjustable combs. I picked up an MX-15 at our state shoot and it felt comfortable to me, but I didn't shoot it. Thanks in advance of any helpful information. Steve

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have been stuck on the 25.5 now for over a year and like you my scores were all over the place. I finally settled on a low hold(roofline)and a high shooting gun(100%)By holding on the roofline,you see the target much quicker and it keeps you from peeking. Not that I'm shooting any 100's but I have managed to keep in the 90's since the changes. I also went to a high stocked gun by using a Jones buttplate adjuster. Get Phil Kiners DVD it has a lot of good suggestions.

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

ALF, 96 and 97's are punches and 1000 target reviews with an 89 or lower are reductions.

otnot, thanks, I don't really have any problem picking the target up quickly and I do hold somewhat lower on my Hdc. than singles depending on the targets. Have also tried the much higher shooting gun also with erratic results. I have taken a Phil Kiner's clinic about 2 yrs. ago. We had some bad weather and I didn't get to work on the Hdc. like I wanted to. No fault of Phil's. He's great in my opinion. I need to get with him again,or at least pick his brain a little. Steve

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Do you think you may be subject to occassional cross firing? Your eyes can get tired or just decide to switch dominance for a while becasue of light conditions, etc. Add that to getting a few more target presentations in a round that are more prone to crossfire and your 23s-25s go to 21s-23s and mid 90s become high 80s real quick.

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Inconsistent gun mounts due to the gun not fitting correctly? Have you tried mounting the gun with your eyes closed to see how the beads line up when you open them?

Mike

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

JBrooks, That thought has crossed my mind. Just hoping that's not the problem.

Yes, Mike, I have done as you have suggested. I do check all of my guns for POI and bead alignment.Thanks, Steve

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

AAtrap- Please figure out a solution to your problem quickly and then send me an e-mail explaining the solution in detail. I have 1600 handicap targets on my 2008 card. My scores so far range from 81 to 96. Some days everything is just fine, other days nothing works. At the Dixie Grand I visited with a many times All American. One day, at that shoot, he shot a 78 and two days later he shot a 97. Many of us need your help.

Pat Ireland

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Many trap shooters are beyond help. HMB

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- Both Mother Nature and Father Time seem to be involved with my handicap scores.

Absolutely, proper gun fit is critical. My PFS has many screws that can be turned to achieve proper gun fit. I just can't seem to figure out which way they should be turned.

Pat Ireland

10. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Ireland I saw your 71 score in handicap at Middletown last Sept. Only one question. Did you not shoot the last 25?

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat Judging by your posts this morning, I don't think today is the day to be adjusting the PFS. That's not where the problem is. LOL, Have a great day,Bob

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of the 27 yard line. What your doing is not at all unusual, it is common. I've shot 78 one day and the next week broke a 98. I also once broke the first 50 straight then a 17 and a 12 on the last trap. Granted I was shooting a Space Gun at the time, and I never could figure it out, but SHI* happens, and most of the time I don't know why. If you find out, please let me know. It will be worth a large $$$$ reward.

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks guys,LOL--Actually I do feel better. I guess the real dilema is, knowing that you can shoot better and then smoking that 78--frustrating!!!!

Pat, hate to admit it, but maybe Mother Nature and Father time have more to do with it than I would like to admit.

Gentlemen, I'll keep working on this problem and drop each of you a line when I get it figured out. Don't check your e-mails any time soon though. Steve

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Steve, Ain't that the truth. Unfortunately, or I should say VERY FORTUNATELY,I also struggle with my shooting, aging eyes and bad habits. Great thread you started with a some interesting input. Shoot well and often with good health, Bob

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... maybe its the wrong load your shooting or the wrong choke your using or the wrong shade of lense or maybe a new gun will correct it.

Has anyone ever thought of trap shooting being just like a woman? When ya have a problem you have no clue as to how to fix the problem but as soon as the problem works itself out either another problem arises or the old problem comes back.

Yep ... trap shooting is just like a woman and when ya figure them out please let us all know. Heck if anyone has them figured out please let the rest of us know.

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bob.

Well, Lumper, you may be right to a certain extent, but I still have the same woman I started with 43yrs. ago and I sure can't say that about my trap gun. Seems as though it's a lot easier and less expensive to switch guns than it is to trade women. Understand that? LOL ---Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.