1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem perazzi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

What causes a shell to have a light hit in the primer and not go off. Had it happen twice? Is it the hammer, firing pin or hammer spring? How can i tell if its defective shell or gun part? Thanks

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sometimes the firing pin spring will break and spin back on itself restricting how far the pin will travel. sometimes it works, sometimes not. Or, you could be shooting old Remington Gun Clubs which had ironhead primers, or, Federal products with the primers set too deep..

3. smsnyder

I was using those cheap federal shells. Silver primer.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Pull your barrels off and drop the trigger group, reach in the receiver and push the ends of the firing pin and see if your getting .040-.050 protrusion out of the recoil face. Those hammers are rebounding and the firing pins have return springs on them. P.S. did you buy this gun used?

5. smsnyder

6. smsnyder

Thanks I'll try some AA or STS shells

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Earl, look at the back of the firing pin where the hammer makes contact, is there a approx 2.5mm dia. pin sticking out of the main body of the pin? All these new and improved firing pins come apart. They used to drill a blind hole in the firing pin then swage a hardened 2.5mm dia rod in. Now they start out with tubing and swage the hardened pin in, but the 2 pieces come loose over time. It was a great way to cut corners and save a few Lira.

8. smsnyder

Thanks , i will check that if misfires continue.

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Broken #118 coil in front of the firing pin, or actual pin is loose inside firing pin housing.

WW

10. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

To resolve your problem you should follow these steps:
    1) pull the trigger out and remove the spring, check with a magnify lens 10x if there is a small crack on it.
    2)make sure the hammer moves freely back and forward
    3)check the shoes and also make sure that doesn't stick because sometime doesn't go back on the rest position and when the hammer strike the bottom part touch on it making the gun missfire.
    4) At this point lightly oil everything
    5)before you put back the trigger in the receiver do what "toolmaker 251" suggests to you to do.
    6)At this point if the gun missfire again through the cartridge that you are using into the trash and buy some other brand.
    Don't forget, Perazzi is not Caesar salad so lightly oil the trigger.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

smsnyder- It is not at all uncommon to fine a discount shell that will not fire is some guns. Mine will shoot the Federal discounts OK. The Remington Gun Clubs will give me at least one no fire per box and the Winchester discounts will give me 2-4 no fires per box. I also have ejection problems with many discount shells. I shoot a lot of new AA shells.

Pat Ireland

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

All of the above information is excellent.. but add this to your list.. Coffee can filled with mineral spirits.. soak and clean trigger.. then reoil... soak and clean receiver once removed from stock.. remove firing pins.. and clean holes with a pipe cleaner..check,inspect pins,springs,and hammer springs... Now and then.. I've seen trash get into the firing pin holes.. especially if you pierce just 1 primer..

13. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Earl,

Before you take that new gun apart, you can send those shells over to me and I'll test them in my gun.

Ed Yanchok

14. smsnyder

Thanks ED. ED do you like that new PERAZZI MX9? What parts are you guys replacing in the MX guns today?

15. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Haven't replaced any parts in the TM-9X. It's a hitter/winner.

Ed Yanchok

16. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

A bent ejector trip rod can cause that problem. Jimmy Borum

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Everytime you open/cock a Perazzi MX OU receiver gun the cocking rod in the bottom of the receiver moves rearward to push the cocking shoes against the hammers. If that rod has not been cleaned once in a while it gets "gummy" and the very small return spring isn't large enough to push it back to it's home position.

Since all this mechanism is linked and the cocking rod is not in it's home position, all that mechanism, including the hammers have to push that stuck cocking rod back home when you fire. When this happens you are going to have some light hits and you will have to remove the cocking rod, blast it's dovetailed receptacle out clean and clean off the rod before lightly oiling it and reassembling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perrazi miss firering problems

perazzi tm 1 misfire

perazzi tm1 hammer springs cause misfiring