Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem P/W platinum 2000

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  fssberson 
#1 ·
Purchased a Ponsness Warren Platinum 2000 back in May, love it. Does very well loading 300-2000 rounds and then either the upper actuating rod or the lower actuating rod will break, have been on the phone with the people (bruce and katie) at Pons and they have been very helpfull. Sent it back (process took two weeks) and they went over it. Since recieving it back have reloaded 3000 rounds and now it is doing it again, have payed attention to the nylon set screws that hold the gear bar in place and when either rod snaps there is no pressure on the reloading handle to speak of. I did purchase pons's metal plate that sits over the gears and bushings and it has the 25 lb shot hopper.

Is anyone else having this problem ? Of course I might add it could be an operator error, if it is please let me know what to do.

Before ending this let me say that Ponsness has been very helpfull and their entire staff has my complete admiration and respect for all their help

#3 ·
It sounds like there is too much compression on the powder seal.

Try this. Just loosen the two front thumbscrews on the base. The weight of the powder and shot in the hoppers will provide enough compression on the powder seal for it to function properly.

Jim Skeel<BR>
P/W Dealer/Distributor

#5 ·
This may or may not be your problem. I would give Jim White a call, he is extremely knowledgeable about the P/W machines.

I just bought some parts from him last Fri. and got them Wed. before Thanksgiving. Very fast, courteous and a really nice guy. Thanks Whiz for the excellent service!!!

Bill

#6 ·
ziegmund, After a couple thousand rounds on my 2000 it begins to take effort to move the rack gear. It gets gunked up and takes more pressure to operate. I take the top plate off and clean the rack gear channel. I clean the bottom of the top plate and rub graphite on both ends. Especially around the powder seal. . Then it is slick for a couple thousand more rounds. I would think it has to take a lot of pressure to break parts. If the screws aren't tight the top plate slides side to side. May work ok as Jim suggests but I don't like to see that. You mentioned the set screws, so that is not the problem. Keep it clean and the problem may disappear.

#7 ·
I had a new P/W 2000 years ago with a variety of problems. Never quite severe as your having. Whiz even made me a new part. Whjile the machine was down, I went to a friend's house and tried his new Spolar... the rest is history. I have never had a problem that was not fixed with a tightening of a screw or someting very simple. After 4 years of trouble free reloading. I simply could not go back to a P/W... their design and quality control leaves a lot to be desired. If you want peace of mind switch to a Spolar. Fred

#9 ·
Another cause for breaking links is that there is no slack in the top toolhead where the Upper Link moves. When the handle is all the way back, there should be about 1/8"-1/4" free play between the upper link and the rear opening in the top toolhead. If there is no play, you will eventually break either the Upper or BOTH Lower Actuating arms.

The 800 Plus addresses this issue in the "Replacing the Index Pad" instructions. The Platinum's do not use an Index Pad, BUT they do have a stub shaft located where the Index Pad is on the 800 Plus.

To understand this fully, go to my website and download the instructions and read about adjusting the machine to obtain the proper clearance setting.

Tawnia is the one to talk to at P/W for adjustments. SInce Jean left the company two years ago, Tawnia is the one who took her place. Unfortunately Tawnia is wearing several hats at the factory. She is a most helpful sweetheart.

Whiz

#11 ·
Habib: You need to price the new P/W. Very close to Spolar. So how much is it worth to NOT HAVE the aggravation factor. Do you want to be factory repair artist? Or just reload shells with a machine that works? Today, I just reloaded shells. Tomorrow, I can sit down at the machine and just reload shells. Next week do the same thing, etc. I am not talking about the quality of the reload, just having the machine work every time, troble free. Fred

#12 ·
Well Fred, we aren't talking about the new PW. My 2000 works pretty well as long as I keep it clean. Even expensive machinery needs periodic maintenance. Surely at some point you do something besides load shells, like clean and lube the machine. I certainly agree that the Spolar is a top quality machine. But it really isn't fair to compare the two without taking into account the price difference.

#14 ·
I want to take the time to thank everyone who responded, some of the suggestions had already been tried and some not, especially want to thank Jim Moody, Sam, whiz,Jim Skeel and Robert Malmstedt for their help and information
and taking the time to answer. And although I understood Fred's statement about aggravation I do like and enjoy reloading with the Ponsness

Eddie Thomas

#15 ·
Ziegmund: I am not anti P/W. I reloaded with a P/W for 20 years. No reloader finishes a shell better... I just got tired of "fixing" the machine. When I switched over from the 900 to a 800+ [that was brand new with gearing problems and returned] to a 2000 Platinuim with a short primer feed rod [Whiz had to make me a new one]... I just gave up on P/W's quality control and the factory attitude. You will notice no posts from me compaining about Spolar. P.S. the P/W retains it's re-sale value -- easy to sell. Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.