1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PROBLEM LOOKING AT BEAD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682Fan, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682Fan

682Fan TS Member

I have developed a huge problem with looking back at the bead when shooting, causing a miss every time. Question is-how to break this habit? It's getting worse.

I am now trying to shoot by looking under the gun, at the forward edge of the trap house. I understand that Kay Ohye teaches theis method. This has shown success, but I don't seem to be able to hit any left cuts on station 1, because I hold off the trap house to the left. Thus when looking down I see grass.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Arnie

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Take the bead off. It is just there for decoration.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Kay himself has a very high gun hold over the trap house but he teaches to look through the gun barrel Not under it. He teaches to look into the zone where the target changes from a streak to a solid object. If you hold off to the left of the house on Post 1 your gun barrel has a significant blind spot for your right eye to see the target. I have to hold a lower gun over the house for my right eye to remain in control.

4. don q

don q TS Member

Once Kiner suggested blacken beads with a felt pen, it helped me a bunch. don q

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

A black sharpie will blacked the bead but rub right off with an oily rag if you don't like the look. Worth a shot.....

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I had the same problem. My "fix" was to lower my hold points (just over the house): On station One, to the left of the target's most likely flight path. On the rest, to the right. Also, I held the gun a bit to the side of the most likely target path. I then take a breath, focus on the grass where I am most likely to be able to acquire partial focus on the target; then, I look for the tartget, doing my best to ignore where the muzzle was, acquired focus and POW!
    ALSO, having your face somewhat square to the target is key...if you are looking through the top of your glasses lenses, it is not the optimal situation to acquire a hard focus and can result in eye dominance issues. Suggestion: Look at your foot position. On station three, no more than a 45 degree angle...a bit more open if you can. This promotes a more square head position and makes quickly acquiring a hard focus much more likely...and acquiring a hard focus on the target is crucial to eliminating the barrel getting in the way. Finally, I find that if I hold high, I an not yet well trained enough not to have the barrel become a distraction...so I get it the heck out of the way.

Good luck!

WNCRob

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Arnie, the problem isn't that bead, your problem is taking your eyes off the target!! Train your eyes to lock onto and glued to the target keeping them there till the shots completed! Sounds simple enough but it takes eye training to keep them glued to a moving target with that nasty barrel/bead directly under your dominate eye! Hap

8. 682Fan

682Fan TS Member

THanks All

The problem isn't trying to put the bead on the target.

Hap MecTweaks and Psycho are correct, although I ahve balckened the front bead, this helped temporarily only.

For some reason, I keep referencing the barrel. When I don't, I pound targets. Gun setup is right on. Thus I am trying to learn to look under the barrel, to get my eyes away from the beads.

Reading some responses, it apears that cheating to the left on station onew is not the way to go.

How do you look "through the gun"?
    Not sure if this would work for me.

Thanks again.

Arnie

9. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Forget about playin with the gun,and gadgetry.
    It's the mass between the ears that needs change.
    The conscious mind can only do one thing at a time.
    The conscious mind can be tied up by giving it a task to do.
    If the conscious mind isn't given a specific task,it'll do whatever it wants to do,like a child with no discipline.
    Command your conscious mind to look for ridges on the bird,or try to see a small
    portion of the bird,you'll have to do this on every single bird as a pre-shot routine,it may seem stupid and monotonous,but that's the way the mind works.
    If you give the mind this task to do on every bird,it won't be looking for beads
    or barrel tips.This may take a little time to develop,trust is the key,a lack of trust causes barrel checking,peeking back at the barrel,essentially your telling your conscious mind,right before the trigger pull,you don't trust looking intently at the bird,you don't trust your subconscious minds ability to direct the bodies movement,and barrel check,many folks look at a bird,they don't really hard focus on a specific portion of it, it's a skill that needs to be developed.
    I shot beadless for years,also had all kinds of glo sticks,back n forth,until i learned what the real issue is.

10. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Fullchoke,Quit looking straight down the barrel when you call for the target--look out and slightly above it--forget the bead/barrel--just look at the target when it appears about 15 yds from the house and go smash it.

11. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Black out the beads for sure,if you hold a high gun try lowering onto the ridgeline of the house so you have to look over the bead to see the target clear the house.Jerry

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As was so well stated above, training the brain to focus on the target is the key to successful clay target shooting. Top shooters and trainers will tell you the beads are needed for reference. Refer to them for proper gun mount.

Find your hold point, and your look point. Call for the bird, focus on it, attack it, and kill it. If you make a project out of focusing on the target, every thing else will work out. If you will not make this effort, you will simply not shoot to your capability.

13. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

The subconscious mind reacts instinctively to the repeated input from the conscious mind.

Anyone use their hood ornament to aim their car? Or do we look at the road and make adjustments?

"Look at the bird. Look at the bird. Look at the stupid bird!"
    ------ Bill Smith Olympic Trap and Skeet champion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.