1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem keeping focus

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lucky hunter, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

How does everyone keep their mind on the game when they shoot? Right now i am having trouble with this.

Thanks

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I drink a beer or two before I shoot

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I am having the same problem and it's really affecting my singles score the past two weeks.

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I wear a set of ear plug with my headphone molded in. This is now hook up to my ipod and I lesson to music will I waiting to shoot.

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Your brain is always active. Shooting requires very little brain power with lots of idle time between shots. I have found that if I talk to myself constantly inside my head (yeah I know but it works for me) about seeing the target, remember to breathe right, mount, hold point, soft focus, call. It makes it a lot harder to think about something else at that time.

Jeff

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You only need to focus your mind for the few seconds it takes for you to shoot, in between shots don't try to stay focused.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keeping our mind focused on completing the task at hand is a problem in all aspects of life. In the fifth grade, some students made good grades, others didn't. The main difference among students was the ability to focus on the task at hand. We all have a focus problem. The top shooters, professional athletics and top businessmen are much better at it than us average individuals. Total concentration on a task is hard work and the majority of us are not willing to work that hard.

I frequently intend to devote myself to successfully completing a task, but then I forget the task that need to be completed.

Pat Ireland

8. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Google "concentration exercises."

Dave Eberhart

9. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Good morning "Lucky Hunter" -

After (1) Equipment, (2) Technique, (3) MENTAL MANAGEMENT is probably the most challenging and on going part of our sport and also many other sports. I have talked to and traded ideas with a group of Professional Coaches in Tennis and Golf and there are certain aspects that are common to many individual competitive sports. Bob Palmer, a Sports Psychiatrist (writes for Trap & Field) and I trade ideas all the time and agree that effective Mental Management while competing gives the shooter huge advantages. There is no "quick fix", but there are ways to control your "Conscious" part of your mind and allow your "Subconscious" part of your mind to do its job when performing.

If you are interested I have put together some ideas which might help you get started. Please feel free to send me an email and I will return several attachments which I give to my shooters up here in the North East. Have a terrific 2010 Shooting season.

Regards -

Bruce Maxwell

10. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Lucky Hunter: send Mr. Maxwell an email. Birdtracker

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

LOL! I'd have trouble writing to Maxwell.

Seems that my mind wanders between "Pull!" and "BANG!" Then "Lost!" brings me back!

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Albert Einstein was once asked, "how long can you totally concentrate on an equation", close enough quote, and his answer was about 3 seconds. Where does that leave us as trapshooters in the total concentration department?

I don't believe our subconscious mind plays a role in shooting either, our eyes tell us when things are correct. I do however believe that some people think it's a subconscious action when we react to something seen with our peripheral vision such as lead on a moving target.

Hap

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

When you answer that question grasshopper you will be a great shooter. The ability to keep 100 percent focus is what separates the great shooters from the good shooters.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

There are many methods but I think the key is maintaining a consistent mental routine.

When my concentration wanes I return to an old exercise during which I take a deep breath, clear my head for a moment, call for the bird, and then mentally say, "SEE... ONE... TWO" where...

SEE = Find the bird

ONE = Get on it

TWO = Bang

This simple routine keeps my mind calm and helps maintain a steady rhythm of concentration so that nothing disruptive enters my thoughts.

-Gary

15. Hap MecTweaks

Richard, the top ping-pong players may not take much time to think but surely they SEE the ball and react accordingly??

Hap

16. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I believe it is different for everyone. What works for one WILL NOT work for another. I think that is the biggest farce/lie in our game. You can't cheat fundamentals. You must keep your head on the gun. The gun must fit you. After that cowboy, you on your own. Everyone has to find that little place within himself (or herself) that allows success. Only thing I know about it is, when you find it, you will know it. Good luck!

17. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

One thing I'd add to this. Is, are you a two eyed or one eyed shooter? One eyed shooting requires actually looking down the barrel and lining up the bird. Two eyed shooting requires a 'kill box' siting. IMO, using the two eyes God gave you is a big advantage. And since you have a good size pattern of shot to help you out it's just a matter of breaking the bird. Not turning it to dust. If you can realize you can be 'off' just a little and still break that clay you might take some of that pressure off yourself. Unless you're making a living off of shooting there is no reason to let yourself get frazzled with this sport. Mount that gun in the same place. Keep your cheek on the stock. And don't pull that trigger till you have the bird in your kill zone. Jim

18. Hap MecTweaks

Richard, such a shot falls into the realm of luck too? How many shots at 3/4 court out of a hundred could the guy make using the extra 90% of gray matter? Not many, been there and done that!

Hap

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The reason you struggle to maintain focus is because you are bored. Let's face it. Hitting a legal ATA 16 yard target isn't exactly high excitement. After the 20th or so target the mind begins to wander because one isn't being challenged. The challenge with ATA targets isn't hitting them, it ceased being a shooting contest when they went to 2 hole. The challenge is to maintain focus doing something over and over and over that is actually pretty boring. I think the secret to the required prolonged focus is a desire to win. The game isn't that important, it's that desire to win that keeps the greats focused. They don't get bored because anything less than winning is un-acceptable, and the desire to win keeps them focused.

20. philk

philk Member

I think wireguy just hit the nail on the head with a BF hammer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

maintaining concentration for trap shooting