1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Problem installing new hammer in my Beretta 682

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2@8lo, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. The bottom bbl hammer broke on my 682 gold and I ordered a new one put it in simple enough but I felt a drag when I closed the gun. I finally figured out that it was the firing pin dragging because it is sticking out further than the breech face. I called the supplier where I bought the hammer & they told me the hammer needs to be fit. Looking at it it seems to me that the hammer spring guide rod could be ground down a little or the hole that this rod fits into on the hammer needs to be opened up a little. Does anybody know if I'm on the right path here or is it the hammer itself that needs fitment? I'd send it off to someone but I'm under time constraints for the next shoot. Any tips?
  2. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

When you close the gun, the hammer should be cocked and in no way even close to touching the firing pin. The firing pins themselves are spring loaded and it is possible you have a broken firing pin spring. I would check that.

Now as to the adjustment of the hammer spring and rod, there is a nut on the back of the hammer spring rod and you tighten or loosen that such that the rod just barely makes contact with the hammer when the hammer is in the released (down) position.

When you test the hammer and firing pin system with the barrels off, put a strip of Al beverage can over the firing pin hole and hold it in place with your finger, pull the trigger and drop the hammer. The firing pin should put a nice dent in the metal and cause some pain on your finger. When you pull the metal away the pin should be retracted below the breech face.

There is no requirement to fit the hammer that I know of.
  3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

When you say your old hammer broke do you mean it broke in two pieces or what?
  4. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Yep it broke down close to the pivot point where the pin goes thru the hammer
  5. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

I broke the top barrel hammer on my 682 last year, 2@8. The gun had about 50K rounds on it at that time. I guess it is a difficult balance to get the correct hardness and yet not leave the metal so brittle that it breaks after repeated impacts.
  6. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

I think I'm probably way beyond 50k so it was probably over due. They're mechanical so its bound to happen eventually. Thanks Wolf for the info & when I get home later I'll give it a try.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.