1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem at my grandson's school

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Problem at my grandson

Hello:
    I received a phone call this afternoon while at my mother's condo and my daughter told me that there was a problem at my 8 year old grandson's school. She said a 8 year old boy in a different class at my grandson's school came to school last week with a knive.

Supposedly, his classmates knew about the knive for 5 days as he was showing some of the children on the playground. He got upset with someone and started chasing a kid saying that if he caught him he would cut off his head.

At that point the kids got freightened and told the teacher who was in charge on the playground. She took the knive away from the kid and took him to the office. They suspended the child and are considering expelling him from the school.

The mother of the child of the kid the boy was threatning was obviously upset and asked her son's teacher what she was planning to do to protect her son should the kid with the knive not be expelled?

Her son's teacher said she new nothing about the incident. This mother started screaming at the teacher, asking how in the he-- don't you even know what happened?

The mother stormed out and went to the principle's office and an arguement started. With all the problems that schools have recently encountered, It's hard to believe that this boy's teacher knew nothing about the incident.

This incident hits home when this happened at my grandson's school. Eight years old and chasing a kid threanting to cut off his head? Wondering what in the heck is the matter with children today that a child of 8 can have this much anger in him.

Found out through my daughter that one of the parents of another student mentioned that the child with the knive is being raised by an aunt of his.

Have no idea what the solution is?
    Steve Balistreri

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

You can't fix stupid!!

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Thee are two answers to your question.

The easy one is to get rid of it: the problem child? - get rid of it. The problem gun? - get rid of it.

See a pattern here?

The hard one says we need to find out WHY this happened so we can change it first for this child, and then perhaps as part of a policy change for the school/social environment. This is not easy - takes a lot of hard work and looking in some odd places, but in this world of 20 second sound bites this approach seldom stands a chance.

Sounds like the child is from a broken home (look up crime statistics based on this one issue - you will be shocked. Broken home/single parent families are the source of the majority of criminal activity in this country). Is this a social issue? A mental health issue? A medical (neurological) issue?

---

I deal with brain injured children daily - this is what I do for a living. The extreme of this very situation.

I see two common problems in these situations.

First, like it or not the school is a bureaucracy - it lives to serve itself. This means the individual will suffer for 'the greater good.' Policies have little if anything to do with helping a child - policies are for maintaining the 'satus quo' of the general population (see 'one' above).

Two, the people involved in providing help for these kids are wildly myopic. They may be well intentioned, but there training is typically in psychology, when in fact few of these problems are psychological in origin. There is a massive growing data set that shows MOST of these issues have neurological origins, yet the children are never seen by a neurologist let alone an MD.

Treatment involves psychotropic drugs (aimed at altering the MIND) when the problem resides in the BRAIN.

Put this in the perspective of Aurora or Sandy Hook. In both situations the kids had issues - known to be neurological in origin, but their treatments were with pyschoactive drugs - many of which are linked to suicide and violent behavior.

See a pattern HERE?

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Problem dates back to Dr.Spock!

I have carried a knife in my pocket since the age of 5 never occured to me to stick it in someone else. My dad would have beaten me to the point of death if I had done so.

If I couldnt hold my own with a pair of fists, then I took an ass whipping !

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Eddie,

It wasn't HIS grandson...

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Eddie,,,,,,you may want to REread the OP.....

I received a phone call this afternoon while at my mother's condo and my daughter told me that there was a problem at my 8 year old grandson's school. She said a 8 year old boy in a different class at my grandson's school came to school last week with a knive.

7. hoot619

hoot619 Member

This is what happens when you don't know the facts or misread them.per Eddie's

comment. As far as the teacher not knowing about the incident, she has to know.

One the kids would be all talking about it and also the teachers would be

talking about it. 2. The principal, I don't know what happened there but he or

she must not have handled it the right way. Some people in charge of things

think that when things happen like this it a slur on them instead of stepping

up and doing there job handling the situation . Just glad nobody was hurt. Ken U

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Ah ya, Ole Dr. Spock! in his old age and last days he claimed "I made a big mistake" his ideas were all wrong!!

But a generation swallowed hook line and sinker!!

9. senior smoke

No problem Eddie, I have done the same numerous times. You all bring up some good ponts.
    Steve

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

We have outsourced most of our jobs to China. Perhaps outsourcing child discipline to China, and the use of caning is the answer, since parents and society seem to have such a problem using corporal punishment and public humiliation to get these kids in order.

11. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I wonder what would happen to a teacher or principal who made statements without first hand knowledge of the facts. Ron

12. sherry2310

sherry2310 TS Member

You would be shocked at what goes on in an average day in elementary school and how some teachers/administration handle it!
    I worked at a Title 1 high risk elementary school and walked into the empty teachers lounge to find a nice, shiny .38 round on the table!
    I picked it up and went to speak with the principal. I showed her the round and said it was on the table in the lounge. She looks at me and says, "so and So(3rd grade teacher) found it on the floor in her classroom." I asked her what they were doing about it. She took it from me, threw it in the trash and said "Nothing." I asked if they had talked to the kids, checked backpacks, etc. She said, "No." End of conversation.
    Well a Deputy happened to stop by that afternoon and I told him about the situation. He looked at me like I was crazy until he went to the trash can and pulled the round out! LONG story short, principal goes ape that an "outsider" (deputy) would question her judgement, calls the department and says she doesn't want unannounced "service" at her school unless SHE calls.... meanwhile the secretary has a drawerful of confiscated water guns because we have "Zero tolerance" for weapons of any kind...you can't make this stuff up!

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

this is from almost 30 years ago.

At A high school near me, I also went to church with one of the school princapals.

A kid pulled a gun in class, waved it a t a teacher.

Teacher removed the gun from the kids hand then removed the kid from class.

the kid finished the day out still in school, the teacher had to find a new job.

the princapal I know was up in arms. He was told by a district adminastrator, to sit down shut up or find another job himself!

the school districts position was "THIS IS A TEACHER NOT A COP" "HOW????? DOES HE KNOW HOW TO HANDLE A GUN SAFELY!"

Another kid from that if not the same high school the same area,

is shall we say famous for his ill deed

AND PEOPLE stand around wondering how that happend!

Like someone else said,

"I knew from an early age if did something like that my dad was going to make me wish I was dead" because somethings just where not going to happen!

Al

14. senior smoke

How did our country, our world, get so messed up?
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.