1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proactively replacing firing pin

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Geoff, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoff

Geoff TS Member

I have been shooting my 682 for little over a year now with over 8K rounds, not having any problems wondering if any one replaces their pin at a certin number of firing? I do have a replacement kit incase the pin or spring breaks or do most just wit until they start having problems?

Geoff

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check it when you clean it, if you find something wrong, replace it. HMB

3. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Geoff,
    Start by looking very carefully at the actual impression in the primer of the last 25 shells fired. See if the indent is round, has no pit marks and is of uniform depth. This is assuming that you are using the same primer in the last 25 fired shells. If any pit marks are visible in the primer indent, you will find them in your firing pin face. If found, immediately change the firing pin. If you see variations in the depth, I would perform a good cleaning job and replace the hammer spring. If you shoot a lot of Steel faced primers......Check the indents and firing pin face weekly! Some firing pins will endure and others pit badly. Consider them as a consumable item and always have a spare! Pierced fired primers will lead to premature firing pin erosion and corrosion. I change firing pins @ approx. 15 K targets because I shoot a release trigger and the rebound hammer feature is poor or non-functional. Some guns will go much longer and others much less depending on the pin angle design and barrel location.....over/under etc. A Win. Model 12 can go almost indefinitly, others may go only 500 targets before stuff happens!!Look carefully at your fired cases/primers...they will tell a story if you take the time to read the impressions.......Sincerely, Jet Boat Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.