1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pro trap shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i see many of you go to the ATA events and have for many years when do you get to be PRO just asking rick

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

By definition, the first time you get PAID for shooting.

Does this include cash winnings??????????????????? I dunno.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Define "PRO" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Pro? Maybe a factory shooter (Manfacturers Representative) at least they use to be.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

They used to be classified as Industrial. With a very few exceptions such as Pete M., they were average shooters.

I think every shooter who shoots better than I do should be bumped up into a Pro Class.

Pat Ireland

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

In a few years you will know who the Pros are because they will be the only ones still shooting and teaching others to shoot ... The way things are going with the cost of everything escalating an a daily basis they will be the only ones left ... Stay tuned ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

A pro is one who teaches the sport and who shoots way above the targets an average shooter can shoot or afford. How can an average shooter compete with tigar woods? you can't. The average ata member may shoot 3000 to 5000 targets a year. ( i am guessing at the numbers/example) The pro shoots 10,000 to 20,000 targets a year. What part of this don't you understand?

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

thanks for the imput i can not afford 10,000 rounds a year rick

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Ricks1, you'd need to consider 10k rounds the absolute minimum. You would also need to show trapshooting as your primary means of support. Let's say you can shoot for $3.00/rd. Just practice (*) alone will cost $1,800. With ammunition costs at $6/bx, that translates to $3,600 for ammo. Add $6k to $10k for a gun, and like costs for a back-up gun, and you're looking at over $20k, and you haven't even cashed a check yet. Amortized over 52 weeks, your cost would be just shy of $400/week. Add living costs (hotel, RV, food, clothing, fuel, insurance, etc.), and you can see where this is headed.

There are but few sponsors who would be able to spend the dollars necessary to fund a pro. Also, remember that sponsorship dollars would be spread among a number of the top shooters. Remington may have to split dollars among five or six shooters.

There is also the cost of media exposure. How many folks would watch trapshooting on TV, or even in person. The pro bowlers tour is an example of declining exposure over the last thirty years. In the mid-70's, the PBA tour was a fixture on ABC Sports on Saturday afternoons. Sponsors such as Budweiser paid huge money to sponsor tournaments, etc. Now, they can be seen on ESPN on Sunday afternoons, and they're sponsored by Denny's Restaurants. Their competition is the NFL on CBS and Fox. There is also the problem is making the sport more interesting for the spectator. There are just so many ways you can make orange ink blots interesting.

To get an idea of the burden, you would only need to look at such sports such as pistol shooting. Does anyone outside of the Bianchi Cup know who Doug Koenig, or Jerry Miculek are?

* Assumes 15k rounds annually of practice.

In the end, it's all about money, and there just isn't enough to go around.

Best,
    Dennis

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Anytime anyone takes money for any sports event that they particapate in they automatically become a pro. No matter how good or bad they are. This is what the Olimpic rule is. They would be no longer be allowed to particapate on the olimpic teams. Many forigen countries do not honor that rule espically Russia.

Why in heavens name they call it the Amature Trapshooting Asso. I cannot figure out. I guess if they called it the Professional Trapshooting Asso. their would be less shooters to particapate. Bill

11. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

I think smsnyder is a PRO.

12. Doc G

Doc G Member

If smsnyder is a pro, then b12 is an English teacher.

Doc

13. perga1

perga1 Active Member

The Olympics now has Pro: basketball players, hockey players, runners and probably a lot more so that definition doesn't work anymore.

14. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

"To get an idea of the burden, you would only need to look at such sports such as pistol shooting. Does anyone outside of the Bianchi Cup know who Doug Koenig, or Jerry Miculek are?"

Yes, I know who these 2 shooters are and have for a number of years. I don't know what the Bianchi Cup is, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

Jim C

15. porthos

porthos Member

EARL: if you spent the money that you wasted on africa hunts and western u.s. hunts on trapshooting instead, you might be a "pro" by now . always remember " those that can't; cry"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.