1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PRO TIPS??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazziuser, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

Jim Scouten is going to be making his way through Ft. Benning and the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit again for another round of Pro Tips. Is there anything specific you would like to see covered??

Jeffrey Holguin, USAMU Shotgun

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Hi Jeff --

I would like to see, shell choice, point of impact choices for each barrel, and choke selections, for trap, skeet, and double trap.

When is the show expected to be aired??

Tom Strunk

3. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I'd like to see discussed methods for going after a fast hard-angle target without 'throwing' the gun and making an uncoordinated move. -J.F. Wolfington

4. perazziuser

Thanks Tom & J.F.

I was expecting more ideas from folks but I guess if you don't bring up a controversial topic or are selling something no one responds lol

I'll let you know what Jim says about air dates....

Jeff.

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

My thoughts: explain there are more and more bunkers being built all the time in the States, and we can use our regular doubles guns and regular ammo for it, excepting competitions of course. Make it sound accessible to Joe Average if a bunker is near-by, not something that requires specialized equip, at least until someone starts to really get into the game. Explain difference in Doubles Trap and where you hold when in some schemes you might actually be getting two targets both on one side of center from certain posts instead of opposite angles (assuming I'm correct on this). I assume you don't always have a right-hand move and then back the other way, or vice versa in this case, unlike regular american trap. How does that compare, seems to me it would really take some getting used to.

Thanks

6. perazziuser

Good topic. Great way to let people know how to get a taste of the International game without investing time and money into something you're not sure if you're going to pursue or not.

About the Double Trap question, most American shooters shoot the game just like most ATA shooters. R to L on 1 and 2, L to R on 4 and 5, post 3 personal preference. Shooters from GBR, UAE, HUN, and IND are shooting across the second targets in some cases. Some are having more success than others with that kind of technique, which requires 1000+++++ of rounds to perfect such unatural engagements.

JH

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Jeff:

I'm going to give it a try one of these days.

My question (and I'm not sure I'm correct about it) is that I thought in certain Double Trap schemes, let's say from post 5, you might be getting both targets that are flying to the right, maybe not severe angles, but both to one side. As opposed to roughly a straight away and a right angle in ATA. I was thinking this would require swinging all in one direction on some posts, L to R in this case. Does that happen, or have I misunderstood?

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Explain trigger control and methods.

Stance and how it affects everything else.

Lay out a practice routine that would help the average shooter progress.

Explain the mental approach and how to handle missed targets without ruining the rest of your day.

Talk about the importance of diet and give so tips on what works including hydration during the summer.

Tips on how to handle the pre shoot jitters.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you want to learn how to handle pre-shot jitters just enter a few live bird shoots-play all the money-run 20 straight in a 25 bird event-and listen to your knees rattle before you call for the last 5.

Real nerves of steel are needed when $5,000 to $30,000 or more rests on that last bird-not trinkets!!

10. perazziuser

Sorry I didn't respond to that earlier, but you are correct. The center 3 machines are locked down 5 degrees L, 0, and 5 degrees R. Straightaways from 3, basically. So if you slide to post 1 or 5, yes, both targets do have considerable angle on them. Both quarters from posts 2 and 4.

Thanks for the topic suggestions, Drew & Silverbullet.

Be careful picking something to look at in the distance as different backgrounds can easily be deceiving. I learned that the hard way.....

JH

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jeff. Much has been written about holding a high parallel gun and too, down on the house. When does Jeff recommend either and for what trap disciplines. I've seen many a great down on the house types (your bro comes to mind) and other All-Americans that use vertical gun movement as well as horizontal. IN other words, should we be Adopting a specific method and working out the kinks, or just choose what is comfortable.

Jack

12. perazziuser

Jack,

There is no "one" correct answer to where to hold. It is a delicate balance where target presentation (shooting dicipline), eye position, and personal preference must all be considered.

My brother holds on the house because he is a one-eyed shooter. The gun would get in the way if he were to hold a high gun.

The higher you hold, the more you need to shoot to stay proficient at it. The real test in holding a parallel gun is if you can let a straightaway clear your barrel before shooting. Much easier said than done.

If you are comfortable looking at the edge of the traphouse I would never suggest holding very high. You don't want your eyes too far from your gun. Doubles being my specialty I have learned that the higher my eyes (at my hold point) the slower the targets are, the more time I have.

That being said, there is definately a too high. It is not natural to only move horizontal to a raising trap target. Your room for error is minimal. There needs to be movement WITH the target, however slight, to feel connected to it (Carlisle phrase). Otherwise you are simply going to a spot and hoping you picked the right one... This is why I HAVE to move down closer to the house from the 27.

Jeff Holguin

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks Jeff. My story is that the better I am shooting the higher the gun gets. And you have pegged it pretty well, as once I get to Zero vertical I pop over targets. Aaron convinced me to get down on the lip and it works, but give me 3 or 4 handicap smoke-balls and up the gun comes. I just hav enot figured out how to retrain myslef and make the lower gun permanent. For sure I wnat to wait till I see the bird over the bbl, but after watching 100 thou exit the house, I automatically gravitate back.

How many targets do you shoot a week?

14. perazziuser

Hey Jack,

Sorry I never responded... my participation on this site has been sporadic. The week following an International competition I won't shoot at all, but last week I shot over 700 targets in 2 days. So it depends on the time of year and what I have coming up.

Jeff Holguin

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Everybody can benefit from Jeff's statement.....

"That being said, there is definately a too high. It is not natural to only move horizontal to a raising trap target. Your room for error is minimal. There needs to be movement WITH the target, however slight, to feel connected to it (Carlisle phrase). Otherwise you are simply going to a spot and hoping you picked the right one... This is why I HAVE to move down closer to the house from the 27."

16. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jeff:

How or what is done to train for the mental game? Books, specific programs, videos, a 2x2 to the side of the head?? We all need to figure out how to keep focused and concentrating on the bird - some more than others.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.