1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Reach

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Browning, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I am looking for a new powder to use for shotgun games. I have been using WSF and like it a lot, but I also use Titegroup and the two look the same. I thought about Longshot, but I usually just shoot 1.125 loads at about 1300 fps,and it seems Longshot doesn't have enough pressure and gets really loud and shoots flames out the barrel. I have a flyer from Alliant Powder that has a blurb about a powder called Pro Reach. I e-mailed them and they said it was coming out in a month and they would have reloading data then.
    I would like to know if anyone has more information on Pro Reach or can recommend a powder that works as well as WSF for both 1.125 and 1.25 loads.
    John

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

As I understand it, Pro Reach is pretty-much Alliant's Longshot knock-off.

For your needs, is there something wrong with PB?

Bob

3. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Bob, I looked at PB, but I could not find loads in 1.125 over 1260 and 1.25 it goes down to about 1220. Thanks John

4. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I may look at 800x it goes up to 1.375 with good velocity. I am have trouble find data on 1.125 between 1250 and 1300, but if it will push 1.25 at 1325 it looks like 25.5 grains in a GunClub hull, winchester primer, and a windjammer wad would be fine. John

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

John, PB (and SR7625) are pretty 'stretchable' powders and don't pressurise much.

Why don't you call Mike Daly at Hodgdon's and tell him you're wanting to get 1300fps with your components and see what he says about upping your charge a grain or two more to get some more sparkle.

I'm pretty sure I know his answer. :)

I use PB in my 28 & 30gm Bismuth Duck-bullets (and Bismuth can get pretty pressure-y), at just a hair over 1300fps, and pressure is barely 10, and we talked about it a good bit before I made-up and tested those loads.

My components are Federal Papers, F209A & Fed12C1 wads - nothing very exotic, but at +1300, wads begin to matter a LOT, and I'm migrating to Gualandi wads when my 12C1s are gone.

Bob

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

800X is a very-much overlooked powder and may be an excellent choice for you.

I loaded a lot of it dog-years ago, and the only complaint I had with it were the well-documented metering issues, but those are supposed to be less troublesome now.

Bob

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

The best powders I ever used for the games you want to play was 4756 for 1 1/4 loads, and Unique for 1 1/8th loads. End of story.

Tom Strunk

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The Pro Reach is not going to be availiable for awhile yet. So I'm told by an Alliant Tech. Recently talked to them about a Green Dot question I had and I brought up a question about Pro Reach. They said in about a month it should be around.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I prefer Herco powder for my long range shooting over 800X. While 800X is a fantastic powder, I don't have the time, or patience, to hand weigh every load. Don't think for a minute that the metering problems with 800X are under control, as they are not. For 11/8oz long range loads, Unique or 7625 is an excellent choice. In fact, SR7625 can be used, very effectively, for both loads..... Believe me here, I have a LOT of experience shooting these powders. I narrowed it down to Unique and Herco.... The results suit me just fine. The thing to remember when shooting games is to STICK WITH THE SAME LOADS all the time. You have to really learn your loads when it comes to longer range shooting and what they will, or will not do. Longshot is a great powder, but, I found that it blows the pattern inside out when you load it up to maximums. I will take a slower, buffered, load that will hold the pattern at a greater distance over the fast loads that fall apart when the money is on the line.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Unique, Herco, HS-6, Universal Clays. Depending on what load you want, they will all do well for you. Nothing wrong with WSF either.

Pro Reach is an empty promise. No Powder and no Data, just a bit of hype.

11. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Thanks for all the info,I had some old 800x I had loaded up,and yes I had forgotten about the powder being inconsistent. I will probably just be real careful and not get titegroup and WSF mixed up and continue to use WSF. Thanks John

12. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I dont know who told you that 800X has a metering problem. I load it through a pacific 366 and it drops 26.5 grains of it on the dot every time. I have never had a problem loading 800X. If you want a good 1 1/4oz load, load 26.5 grains of 800X in a federal paper hull with a remington SP12 wad, fiocchi primer and #5 shot. I can consistantly break shoot-off targets at 90 yards with this load. hope I could help. BYG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loading 800x in fed papers