1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro class ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I hear some chatter about a pro class---Don't mind me but what is going on?
    I understand that Kay Ohye is now or will be soon a Sr Vet---Should he not be in a pro class in the big shoots---How many Sr. Vets out there can compete against him?---It would be like average golfers competing against the pros.
    You might as well not even enter---Just my thoughts---sjb---

2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

sjb-- That pretty well sums it up! CED

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Darrel Waltrip said," you have to have the slow guys so us fast guys have somebody to pass".

Yep Trap shooting is unfair, why the best shooters always win!! WTH is that all about? Shouldn't it be "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"? I'm pretty sure if Obama was running it that would be the rule.

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

I just feel that a Pro class properly promoted like B.A.S.S. and FLW have done for bass fishing it could really draw people to it.Put the sport in front of the general public and create NEW interests.The format to become a Pro has to be inviting enough for shooters to want to do it. If it isn't promoted properly and incentives aren't there. it won't work.If there's NO interest from the Best shooters to have such a class,it won't work.It's all about Proper Promoting and convincing the Best shooters it's worth their while to do so.Personally,from what I've read,the Hiarchy of trap have NO interest in promoting the sport to such a level.They apparently feel they don't need the publicity to help trap shooting survive.Time will tell,but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Doug H.

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I'm impressed. This has been talked about for along time. Hell I've been saying it for years, but as soon as you mention it then come the forum BASHERS.
    So hang in their guys, there're coming.

6. sliverbulletexpress

I'm not against the idea of a Pro Class although I think it should be called Pro Division.

I just don't think there are enough shooters who would be genuine Pro's to make it worthwhile. Unless something changes radically soon where would the prizes come from for the Pro Division? To be fair a part of the general prize pool would need to go to every class or division to be fair right? If we can get a non shooting industry business to support it that would be great. Who is volunteering to take on that?

I suspect some who want a Pro class just want these guys out of the way so they can win. That is the attitude I am firmly against and my point of the Marx quote in my other post. A competitor doesn't want to bring everyone else down to his level or get rid of those he can't beat. A competitor makes the sacrifices and puts the effort out to get better.

Those guys that are at the top now had to get past some very good shooters to get to the top, no one gave it to them. Why should it be different for anyone else?

Just take a look at the other shooting sports and see what you see. Some have huge participation and membership that actually participate. The ones I know a little about have beat this Pro dead horse too. None have a Pro Division I know of. I know Cowboy shooting is the fastest growing and probably biggest shooting organization, I may be wrong but I don't think they have a Pro Division.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

There is nothing wrong with the big dogs competing against each other but why should they compete against the ones that contribute most to keep them in business.Again, could you imagine the golf pros doing the same thing? I for one will never go into compition against a pro----I'll sit and watch---There is plenty to do other than throwing $$$ against the wall---I love the sport but enough is enough---Just my thoughts---sjb---

8. sliverbulletexpress

When would you compete directly against the big dogs sjb? Are you a 27 yd shooter?

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

No---but I am a sr vet and I will have to compete against Kay Ohye---I think---SJB---

10. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Industry Class (Division): If you claim any part of your expenses shooting trap, ie. travel, ammunition, motels, guns, clothing, almost anything you can imagine that has anything to do with trap shooting as tax deductable, then you should be considered Industry class. I know of a couple who have small gun businesses who charge their shooting as advertisement because they wear the name of the business on their shooting appearal. JMHO. Herb Roach

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

A 27 yd shooter is a 27 yd shooter---but who would you put your $$$ on against the big dogs at 27 yds---I'll put my $$$ on the big dogs anytime and I'll be way ahead---You can't get any better than 27yds and now you have to compete against a pro---Good Luck---SJB

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I think Silverbullet lost his tongue---Just my thought---SJB---

13. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

In order to win you have to break em all. The difference between the so called pros and the average shooter is they have the mental stability for a 500 target event. Lets face it, when they shoot 200 birds they know they're gonna shoot at least 100 more plus targets. The average shooter is happy to break a 200 straight not even thinking you have a shoot off. They're where they're at because they have honed all of their skills, and as we all know this game is more mental than anything. I always look at it this way, think how good it would feel to beat one of the big dogs at they're own game. Thats what my goal is. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Chuck---I know you and you can shoot but it will cost you alot of $$$ to catch one of the big dogs---With respect---George

15. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Not really anymore than it does now George. Shooting is just pure fun for me. Great people and good fun. Dreaming about beating the big guys is just like buying a lottery ticket a few days before the drawing. The sweet dreams you have before you realize that you lost are worth the couple dollars. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Seems many shooters want a pro or industry class. It may even promote the sport more.

17. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

The biggest thing we can do to promote the sport is to get kids involved and get more schools willing to participate in scholastic shooting. Young kids whom shoot regularly seem to be extremely grounded in their way of thinking and have great respect for the power posessed in a firearm. Lets face it, if you're on this site you're already sold on the sport. I'm always willing to lend a hand to youth shooters and thats were the sport is dependent. A pro class won't get you or I to enter anymore or less events, besides they make a good living with the lewis money. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Chuck---I play alot of golf but just average---I'll take your philosophy and try to beat the pros---I'll need two lifetimes---Trapshooting is no different.
    The pros do this for a living and they need us to support their living---If you think you can beat them thats great but the odds are against you---They are in a class of their own and they deserve all their greatness---They worked hard for it but the game is not fair---We do this for fun---they do it for a living---Two different ball games---I don't have any hard feelings but I don't think I can win the lottery---Sooner or later there will be more and more that feel that it is a lost cause---Just my thoughts---SJB---

19. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Like I said George, the real reward is getting a chance to hang out with my dad, you, John, Jack, Louie, Dennis, Bob, and all the other guys that make the Valley a great place to shoot. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Am I right on this?

Any shooter who is given shells from any mfgr for any reason, Has a gun given to him to use as he sees fit and did not pay fair market value for it out of his own pocket. Is holding instruction classes for which he is compensated in any way. Travels to a shoot and is reimbursed for travel expenses, food, lodging etc. and this includes the executive committee and the BOD. Owns or manages a shotgun store and has free use of guns.

An instructor for hire in any capacity that teaches trapshooting, styles or techniques is not an Amateur

Is not an Amateur shooter.

They or he or she has a distinct advantage over shooters who have to pay for their travel, shells, lodging, meals, Etc

They should not be able to compete for any amateur options.

They are an Industry or Pro Class shooter and should be designated as such.

And they compete against one another only in Industry, or Pro Class category.

The Ammunition companies have reps that sell shells and guns and they are Industry Shooters to say the least.

The ATA used to have an Industry Class, I remember a very good shooter who became a rep for Wanda Shells, and became an Industry Shooter.

These shooters are in a class of their own.

And they have a distinct advantage, in all aspects, shells, guns, travel, lodging, meals, plane tickets, rental cars Etc.

I personally know of shooters getting 30+ flats of new shells at a time free.

Do you agree with this analysis? If not why not?

Vote with a YES or a NO

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.