1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pro class established?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i was thinking about the possibility of a pro class which i believe should be done. i am sure if you look at the amout of targets the average shooter shoots in one year there will be a huge difference in the amount of targets shot by the pro shoots. What's wrong with a pro class? Its no difference than a AAA class. This is an amuteaur sport CORRECT. Now as i see it if a guy wins $10,000 per season, If you look at the majority of the big winners in cash and trophies throughout the year. it is the same guys. They are pro's period. It could be based on money won, averages, amount of targets shot, amount of trophies won, due they teach the sport and draw income from this? if they due, they are in the pro class. that't would be an honor.

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

not a bad idea. correct i would have to agree. trophies only go to other than pro class unless the pro class has there own trophies.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Jerry -

Isn't that the way it works now? We don't call it a "pro" class, but the bottom line is that when I go to a shoot and can decide to play/not play the money options. So I'm either "pro class" or "amateur class" depending on my choice.

Scott

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

No reason to establish such a class, remember this is the Armature Trapshooting Association. The rational of a small minority of shooters, who win at the BIG shoots does not and should not mandate that there be a pro-class. My question is what is the VALUE ADDED to this recreation!

This comes down to Capital, Skill, and Dedication.

Capital: Is the money to buy ammo and pay for practice (LOTS OF PRACTICE)

SKILL: You need to have natural ability.

Dedication: You need to commit yourself in the effort to be the best you can be knowing that even you will not win every time.

My advice to those who sit around and worry about AAA27AAA accomplished shooters who consistently win under pressure need to find another hobby or not attend big shoots. Focus your time on the little shoots where you have a better chance at winning.

Ronbo

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I agree with Ronbo. Get a good amount of practice, keep your head on straight,shoot em all, and take home some of the Big Dogs money. If ya can't beat em, join em! Or, is it easier to sit around griping cause ya get beat all the time?

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Rondo etc. - The effect of top shooters taking a large percentage of purse and options has had a very detrimental affect on participation in this sport. I personally do not have a solution.

But think about this. We put restrictions on any shooter that wins $750 or more by punching that person. But we cannot do anything to the pro who is already on the 27.

Maybe we need to put restrictions on the arms and ammo companies as to how much
    they can support a shooter. After all unlike sports with pro categories our sport is supported by the masses. If a shooter wants to be a pro and take assistance from such companies maybe we should limit their ability for earnings to simply becoming an instructor. Take a look at the payouts at this years Grand. See where how the monies are distributed and to whom. There are just too many shooters who will not try to compete with the pros and therefore either do not attend large shoots like the Grand or will not play any monies.
    Again, I do not try to have a solution. But I believe we should increase speeds and angles and enforce said rules. We might also eliminate the score punches. The sport grew when the little guy won a lot of major tournaments.
    - Jim

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Jim, don't ya think that if ya increased speeds and angles, the same people would still win? I do.

Gne

8. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

How can you grow a sport by adding restrictions? That is absurd, the bottom line is that the Clay target sports are not a spectator sport thus it will never have the mass appeal of say Golf. With out a mass appeal with a substantive spectator base that is willing to either PAY to watch in a stadium or sit through a commercial TV broadcast a PRO class is unlikely.

The only viable solution would be to bring back the INDUSTRY class but I bet that would be a hard sell, how many shooters really get a bunch of support from say Winchester, Remington, or Federal? There are very few Skeet shooters getting much from industry, maybe Krieghoff, Kolar, or Beretta has given a gun to a few shooters but that is the extent of the sponsorship.

Again if your goal is to WIN then make the commitment to excellence, I am sure that Leo, Kay, and Harlan have spent more of their own money than that of the sponsors, and the amount that they have taken home is far less than the investment.

Ronbo

9. perga1

perga1 Active Member

This sport grew for years. Back in the 50's, 60's, 70,s and early 80's it was growing. I think back then the rules were more favorable to growth. Why not just go back and look at the period of greatest growth and adopt that rule book and go from there? If it worked then maybe it would work again. Jim

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Newer happen. They don't take each others money. They take ours. Because, we think we can beat them. Ha, good luck Charley.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

perga1, good question guy! You made pretty good grades in history too huh?

Cheating changed the sport of trapshooting in seeking perfection of shooting more targets with higher scores. More targets shot by less shooters wasn't the intent but that's how it's turned out. It's the "perception" of having to be perfect that new shooters to the sport have and that is detrimental to the growth of our sport, they drop out. Hap

12. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I keep hearing about how target sports are not spectator sports....I disagree...the right format, announcers, etc. can make anything interesting to watch.

This is the only sport that competes for a substantial amount of money and trophies on a regular basis that does not have a professional division....wake up!, this is not the stone age anymore...this sport needs change!

MR

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Same old s--t different day.

Don

14. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

If we make a PRO CLASS, who regulate the rules. I think anyone that accepts money, guns as a sponsor ship is a PRO. There are people that earn money like Tom Knapp shooting, you do not see them taking the average shooters money. The put on shows and try to encourage shooting. I know some people think " IF YOU CAN NOT RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS, THEN STAY ON THE PORCH" maybe all of us that are not big dogs, NEED to stay home for a year. That would hurt the ATA in general, would hurt the big dogs for sure.

15. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Hap, I agree. Seems to me the rule book of ore prescribed no less than a straightaway from one and five. Also, 48-52 yards and 8-12 feet for height. I don't remember anyone complaining about targets back then only after two hole targets became the norm and then an outcry at the return to legal targets as prescribed in the "OLD" days. BTW, I did much better in math and science. JRM

16. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

So what's the problem. If you know that you can't beat them, don't play the options. Forty years ago I learned that, if I didn't play the money, I could afford to shoot a lot more.

Ed Yanchok

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

perga1, your recollections are spot on guy.

"Seems to me the rule book of ore prescribed no less than a straightaway from one and five. Also, 48-52 yards and 8-12 feet for height."

In addition to your recollection was this little side note in that rule. A legal target may also be several degrees outside those parameters and still be legal! That clause kept shooters from claiming an illegal angle and "do-overs" most of the time. That rule helped convinced new shooters they didn't have to shoot perfect scores to be accepted and helped grow the sport during that time frame. Hap

18. grammie

grammie TS Member

For a "pro-class" to work,,,you need money to produce a purse!! other than the shooting for you own money raised through entry fees!!!

The pro-class failed because,,it would have cost 750.00 to enter 3 events,,,that "WAS" the entry fee!!!

There was also the question of All-American Points,,,,being a pro,,excludes you from all american competition,,,also the question of "options" and "calcuttas" at other shoots!!! Allowing a "pro" to enter a calcutta would have the effect of "whats the use",,,"I'm not going to feed the pro",,and soon that option would be just a memory!!!

There was also the question of kentucky sandbaggers that have won over 30,000,,,shoot in C class singles,,D class doubles,,but yet shoot at the 20 or the 21!!! Calling them pros,,,is like calling Michael Vick "humanitarian of the year"!!!!

Very few of the "pros" we have now,,,want a pro's only class!!!!

AKA Grammie............

19. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Does anyone really believe that if the big winners were to have paid for their own gun or shells that they would shoot worse and not win as often? Teaching shooting takes time and energy and money away from competing just like any other job. I guess anyone who wins a gun or shells or other shooting related items would also have to be classified as a "pro", but for how long? Trapshooting is unique from all other sports in that anyone can show up and compete head to head with the very best. You can't throw your clubs in the car and run out to play a round with Tiger Woods.

20. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Jerry -

Who are "they"?

I don't hear the "pros" crying, and any of the non-pro's that put money into an option that isn't class or yardage specific surely must know who they are competing against.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.